Re: [SCA Newcomers] The Don't Speach for all Newcomers

  • suzanne vaughn
    Message 1 of 21 , Sep 4, 2006
      WOW! As a Chatelaine and a 2yr old member (still pretty new) I can say that is not how it is in every shire or kingdom. What area are you in? On a Kingdom level, when I have been at events, often it is I who says something to someone else about what it is they are doing or watching. Please don't give up on the SCA. There really are great people here and most don't expect you to prove your skills first. Most want to help and teach and share what they know. Just like in the rest of the world, there are all kinds in the SCA. To be in a guild or a household or be an apprentice, yes you have to prove yourself or have like interest, but not just to hang out and have a good time. There is so much more to the SCA than those things. One suggestion would be try a neighboring shire. We have people in our shire who come from other shires because they like ours better, and I am sure that goes both ways.

      Welcome to the SCA.

      Fiona
      Daly <dalyboyd@...> wrote:
      --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, "Sonja" <sonja_n@...> wrote:

      Greetings, I recently joined the SCA. I saw this series of posts and
      had to join in.
      I have not had the best of experiences so far. I find the people
      in the group have the attitude "we want you here for the stats, but
      you're on your own, newbie."
      I have been going to every populace and A&S workshop this Shire
      has offered trying to learn what I can and "fit in". I never know if
      I will be acknowledged by members of this group from meeting to
      meeting. This weekend, I attended my first Kingdom event. Noone at
      the affair spoke to me or my family, not even a "Good-day", that
      includes all but three of my shire members. So, today I spoke with
      the Shire Chatelaine and as tactfully as I could asked why it is
      that noone seems to be openly friendly to new people, that included
      Shire members. This is my interpretation of what I was told:
      You EARN the right to be an honored member of the SCA. You find
      your specialty, work hard to learn/develop it on your own, volunteer
      to help at every event and hope that some day your talents and
      efforts are noticed by someone more experienced who offers you an
      apprenticeship of some kind. Then, you will become a member of a
      guild/household and be accepted officially.
      Now, I am trying to decide whether it is worth that kind of effort
      to be "accepted". It seems awfully college sorority/fraternity to
      me. And, I am way past those years.
      I have only lived in this state three years. Please tell me that
      this is not a typical attitude of the members of the SCA.
      Thanks, Daly

      Message 2 of 21 , Sep 4, 2006
        On Sunday 03 September 2006 23:09, Daly wrote:
        > You EARN the right to be an honored member of the SCA.  You find
        > your specialty, work hard to learn/develop it on your own, volunteer
        > to help at every event and hope that some day your talents and
        > efforts are noticed by someone more experienced who offers you an
        > apprenticeship of some kind.  Then, you will become a member of a
        > guild/household and be accepted officially.

        I will have a more reasoned response after my temper cools down, but right
        now I am *furious* to hear that you were told such things. This is utter
        nonsense! (I'm not angry at you, but whoever told you this. What a load
        of garbage.)

        keys fesswise reversed sable.

      • Iustinos Tekton called Justin
        Message 3 of 21 , Sep 4, 2006
          On Sunday 03 September 2006 23:09, Daly wrote:
          > This is my interpretation of what I was told:
          >   You EARN the right to be an honored member of the SCA.  You find
          > your specialty, work hard to learn/develop it on your own, volunteer
          > to help at every event and hope that some day your talents and
          > efforts are noticed by someone more experienced who offers you an
          > apprenticeship of some kind.  Then, you will become a member of a
          > guild/household and be accepted officially.

          All right, Uncle Justin has had his temper tantrum and will now respond
          like a civilized human being. :-)

          Good M'Lord,

          Others have responded well to this with some very good suggestions,
          including playing with another nearby shire. I'll start by talking about
          the rules and policies of the matter.

          I am not trying to be legalistic when quoting policies below, but rather
          I do so to back up what I am saying with documentable fact rather than
          merely my opinion. :-)

          First, quoting from corporate policy (Governing Documents, II.B):

          "Anyone may attend Society events provided he or she wears an attempt
          at pre-17th century clothing, conforms to the provisions in Corpora,
          and complies with any other requirements (such as site fees or waivers)
          which may be imposed. At business meetings and informal classes,
          the requirement to wear pre-17th century dress may be waived. All
          participants are expected to behave as ladies or gentlemen."

          Shire meetings are "Society events" in this context, so you are welcome
          to attend the meetings of any shire or other local group to which you're
          able to travel. I mention this because there is often a myth that one
          has to play in the group that claims the land where you live. This is not
          the case, as Lady Fiono has pointed out. In fact, it is quite *common* for
          people to play in different shires from where they live, simply due to
          interest or friendship.

          Second, guilds are frequently unofficial, and households are always
          unofficial, so the notion that you cannot be "officially accepted" in the
          Society for Creative Anachronism until you belong to a household or
          guild is completely, totally, absolutely wrong. Quoting once again
          from the Governing Documents (section I.E):

          "In many kingdoms, there are groups in which many people participate
          but which are not formally recognized by the Society. These can range
          from highly structured guilds to loosely associated camping groups.
          Entities that fall into this category can have many names, including
          but not limited to households, guilds, ships, and clans. Although
          these entities are not recognized by the Society in any formal way,
          some kingdoms have awards that can be given to these groups. Because
          they are not official Society groups, unofficial entities cannot
          sponsor Society events."

          All right, enough legalese. That's the policy, in a nutshell. The entire
          Governing Documents are online at http://www.sca.org/docs/govdocs.pdf .
          The bottom line is, you can play in whatever SCA group you wish, and you
          don't have to be a member of a household or guild in order to be part of
          the SCA.

          SCA titles and awards are a wonderful way for the organization -- by way
          of the Kings and Queens -- to say "thank you" for a job well done. Awards
          help to encourage and motivate people by demonstrating that their service
          is appreciated and valued. But awards should not be an end in themselves,
          nor should they be thought of as a way to set anyone above anyone else.

          When I read what you have written above, what I see -- except for the
          ending -- is a pretty decent recipe for how to view awards and honors.
          Find what you like to do and are good at, do it well and often, and have
          a great deal of fun with your friends along the way. Some day, in all
          likelihood, you will be pleasantly surprised to be called into Court and
          thanked with an award scroll. You will have done good service for all the
          right reasons, and can be justifiably proud of the award you receive.
          But that last part, suggesting that you can only be accepted based on
          your awards or on attachment to some household, guild, or Peer, is
          troubling.

          One might hope that your question was misunderstood. Perhaps the Chatelaine
          thought you were asking how you could belong to some particular subgroup
          within your shire, not the shire itself. Consider this possibility, and
          whether or not you need to re-ask the question in a different way. If naught
          else, the Chatelaine is human and may have misspoken through simple error.
          I make a point of trying to assume the best of *motive* even for actions
          that are incomprehensible; we all have a bad day and we all make mistakes.
          If the intent really was as rude as it sounds, though, that is inexcusable.

          The reason you have not been warmly welcomed in your local group may have
          very little to do with you and a lot to do with the group members' own
          insecurities. The SCA tends to be very accepting of people with all kinds
          of different personalities, and sometimes we have shires with a few who
          just don't quite know how to be friendly to strangers. I'm not meaning that
          in a sarcastic way at all -- there are some people in the SCA who are very
          nice once you get acquainted, but who for one reason or another literally
          never developed some of the social skills and polish that most of us take
          for granted.

          My lady and I have both been in the SCA for over 15 years. A couple of years
          ago, we attended an event at a shire in another part of our Kingdom and were
          amazed that no one greeted us at all. We were at a local event where as far
          as I could tell we were almost the *only* guests; just about every one else
          there was from the local shire. Normally, local groups are thrilled to have
          people attend their events because, among other things, that's WHY WE DO
          EVENTS in the first place. I'm not saying we should have been welcomed because
          of awards or offices, but simply because we were visitors. It didn't happen,
          all day long. We felt really strange, because this is the only time this has
          ever happened to us in 15+ years.

          Others have told us of similar experiences at that particular shire's events.
          We weren't singled out or anything, it's just that this specific group of
          people aren't very socially polished. I think they just don't know *how* to
          welcome visitors and newcomers. Once you get to know them, they're quite nice.

          So, what can you do about it?

          First, although this sounds difficult, give it some time. Maybe the people
          in the local group are shy themselves, and just don't know how to relate
          to you. Maybe, deep down, they're very nervous about meeting you and react
          to this by withdrawing to their comfort zone. Keep going to meetings, and
          eventually people will figure out that (1) you don't bite, and (2) you're
          serious about joining the group.

          Second, try to expand your participation outside this one local group.
          Going to other events in your area will help to broaden the type of people
          you meet, and you're bound to connect with someone soon. Once you make your
          first acquaintances, you'll find yourself getting introduced to more and
          more people by them and then by their friends and so on. Sooner or later,
          that circle of introductions will come back to your local group, and you will
          find that you have a connection there after all. If the front door is barred,
          try the back door. :-)

          Ian the Green has made two additional points that I wholeheartedly support
          and will (with acknowledgment to Ian) echo as my "third and fourth"...

          Third, take the initiative to make first contact, in a polite way, for
          topics that interest you. This is, as Ian points out, a great way to join
          a conversation in progress.

          Fourth, ask SCA folk about things they are doing that look interesting to
          you. Most of us *love* to talk about our interests in this hobby's many
          aspects. This technique particularly works when you approach someone who is
          temporarily not involved in another conversation and who doesn't seem to be
          either really busy or specifically seeking solitude.

          Fifth -- and here I acknowledge Brangwayna's post -- volunteer to help at
          events, when you see something that needs doing. Nobody should feel they have
          to work like a slave in order to be accepted in the SCA, but as Brangwayna
          points out, we run on almost 100% volunteer labor, and as such, volunteering
          is one way to earn respect. If you're one of the three or four people who
          volunteer to do kitchen cleanup after feast, you can be sure that at least
          the cooks will consider you a saint. :-) Don't try to volunteer to be the
          group Seneschal, an event Autocrat, etc., until you have some more experience.
          People will have a problem with that, and with good reason, because you really
          *do* need to know the SCA's rules and customs pretty well before holding office.
          But there are plenty of opportunities to volunteer in other areas. If someone
          doing a job looks as if they're overworked, simply walk up and volunteer to
          help. In the SCA, most working tasks turn into conversations and socializing
          while the work is getting done. (I've often been in the kitchen doing dishes
          and had it turn into a bardic circle right there in the kitchen.)

          Sixth, if all of the above fail, consider abandoning that local group and
          finding another nearby group that is more welcoming. There are, alas, a few
          local groups that are just plain dysfunctional because they happen to be
          made up of a statistical majority of immature, self-centered people. Give your
          local group every benefit of the doubt before concluding this, because it is
          a very, VERY rare situation, but if you try and try and try and just can't
          seem to make it work, you may have found one of those very rare groups. Don't
          give up on the SCA. Come and play with the rest of us who act like grown-ups.
          Well, okay, we play dress-up and hit people with rattan sticks, but we mostly
          act like grown-ups otherwise. :-)

          I hope this is helpful. Whatever the cause of the misunderstandings with your
          local group, I do apologize for the hurt feelings that have been caused, even
          if it's just an innocent misunderstanding on your part or theirs. It is always
          unfortunate when someone's first exposure to the SCA is unpleasant. Please rest
          assured this organization is full of wonderful people who would be honored
          to make your acquaintance. You've just met about 1100 of them on this list. :-)

          Kind regards,

          keys fesswise reversed sable.

        • Susan B. Farmer
          Message 4 of 21 , Sep 4, 2006
            Quoting Iustinos Tekton called Justin <justin@...>:

            > On Sunday 03 September 2006 23:09, Daly wrote:
            >> You EARN the right to be an honored member of the SCA. You find
            >> your specialty, work hard to learn/develop it on your own, volunteer
            >> to help at every event and hope that some day your talents and
            >> efforts are noticed by someone more experienced who offers you an
            >> apprenticeship of some kind. Then, you will become a member of a
            >> guild/household and be accepted officially.
            >
            > I will have a more reasoned response after my temper cools down, but right
            > now I am *furious* to hear that you were told such things. This is utter
            > nonsense! (I'm not angry at you, but whoever told you this. What a load
            > of garbage.)

            I'll second that irate-ness. If I knew that you were in my Kingdom
            (Meridies), I'd make it a point to speak to the society seneschal and
            the king this weekend (Coronation) -- that's the biggest load of crap
            I've seen since the fertilizer truck left us a load!

            I daresay that there's somebody from every kingdom on this list --
            maybe this post should make the rounds of the various Kingdom
            Seneschal's e-lists .....

            jerusha
            -----
            Susan Farmer
            sfarmer@...
            University of Tennessee
          • Signora Beatrice
            Message 5 of 21 , Jun 2, 2007
              Greetings from Beatrice.

              As it has been a little while since this has graced the list, I figure I'd
              post it again (I'm hoping Ian won't mind), with a few extra DON'T messages
              from me:

              DON'T sweat it. This is fun, people are generally nice, forgiving, and
              willing to help.

              DON'T take any ONE person's word for anything. There are a lot of myths
              out there, and even more mis-informed but well-intentioned people.

              DON'T take it personally if you have a bad experience. Sometimes, people
              have a bad day.

              DON'T be afraid to ask questions. No matter how "stupid" "silly" "basic"
              or "annoying" you thing they might be.

              *Evil grins* So, those of you not-so-newbies out there. Anything else
              you'd add to the DON'T list?

              --- David Roland <mystborne@...> wrote:

> [...]
              >
              > Take your time, explore things and research them to your hearts
              > content.
              >
              > And if anyone gives you any guff over not registering your name or
              > device, politely tell them to lay off.
              >
              > I'm an apprentice and my Laurel has NEVER registered her name or a
              > device. NEVER. You simply are NOT required to do it and you should
              > wait around to see what you want to register for certain before you
              > do.
              >
              > That's the Don't Speach.
              >
              > Feel free to heckle or applaud. :-)
              >
              > If you like it though, spread the word. There are plenty of stories
              > in the SCA of people having registered names or devices and wishing
              > they hadn't and being "stuck" with it. And even more stories of
              > having joined a household or guild and wishing they had spent more
              > time getting to know people and things before they had.

              In Service to Lioncourt Manor and An Tir,
              Signora Beatrice Domenici della Campana