Re: [SCA Newcomers] qualifying for Crown (was: Being apart of the SCA via a Knight...)

  • amanda christopher
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 31, 2006
      Thank you so much. Very helpful information. We are in the Middle Kingdom. I have full intensions of being a member. By the time next October comes around. I will be ready for all that it takes.

      Thanks,

      Aurelia
      Middle Kingdom

      Coblaith Mhuimhneach <Coblaith@...> wrote:
      Aurelia wrote:
      > The guy that I am dating. . .was telling the Prinicess a few months
      > ago that he was going to fight in Crown. She looked at him and said
      > that there were certain things that I would have to do in order for
      > him to fight for me. I need to know what I will have to do so when
      > the May Crown comes around, he can fight for me. I know that I have
      > to be a paying member, but I heard that there is something else.

      This is one of those situations in which it is necessary for us to know
      whence you hail. I looked up your "New to the SCA" post on the group
      website ,
      where you stated you are in the Middle Kingdom
      , and am going to assume that's still true.
      In future, it would save time if you included that information (say, as
      part of your signature) when you ask a question, in case the answer
      depends on your location.

      Section IV of Corpora states that the
      chosen consorts of all entrants in any royal list, Society-wide, must
      be paid members at the time of the tournament, must have no reason to
      believe that they or the fighters representing them will be unable to
      fulfill the duties of the Crown, and must have access to the kingdom
      newsletter at their homes. It goes on to explain the duties to which
      it refers, in detail. (Before you agree to have your knight fight for
      you, you should read and carefully consider those.)

      Where the Middle Kingdom, specifically, is concerned, the Middle Wiki
      states:

      > Requirements for entering the Tournament (for both combatant and
      > consort) are set by the King and Queen and frequently in the Middle
      > Kingdom include that the entrants be armigerous and if not a peer of
      > the realm that they have a letter of recommendation from a peer. Less
      > common requirements involve attire, weapon forms or shield sizes and
      > sometimes entrants are required to prepare a boast or an A&S entry.

      Crown tournaments are covered in Article VI of the Middle Kingdom's
      laws , where
      these statements are made:

      > VI-203 All Combatants and Consorts for Crown Tournament must submit to
      > both Their Royal Highnesses and the Kingdom Seneschal: letters of
      > intent, proof of membership valid through the month following Crown
      > Tournament, and photo identification with birth date. Their Royal
      > Highnesses may make additional requirements at Their discretion.
      > These materials must be received by the date of Their Royal
      > HighnessesÂ’ Coronation with exceptions at Their discretion.

      > VI-400 All combatants for the Crown and those for whom they fight
      > shall have resided within the Middle Kingdom for at least six months
      > immediately prior to the Crown Tournament. They shall reside within
      > the Middle Kingdom at the time of the tournament and shall expect to
      > remain so for at least one year.

      > VI-500 All combatants for the Crown and those for whom they fight
      > shall have participated in Middle Kingdom activities for at least six
      > months immediately prior to the Crown Tournament.. . .This will ensure
      > their familiarity with the fighting standards of the Middle Kingdom,
      > Kingdom customs and the duties of the office to which they aspire.

      > VI-501 No person under 21 years of age may be fought for in any Crown
      > Tournament in the Middle Kingdom. Emancipated minors may be exempted
      > at the discretion of the Crown on a case-by-case basis, but proof of
      > emancipation is required.

      If the winners of the October tournament decide that the chosen
      consorts of participants in the May lists must be armigerous, it's
      unlikely that you'll be able to qualify. The Crown can issue an Award
      of Arms whenever it chooses, but it's rare for anyone to be granted one
      without first being an active and contributing part of the Society for
      at least a couple of years.

      Technical qualification aside, you should remember that being Royal
      Consort is a serious job, for which you don't want to apply unless you
      truly believe you'll be able to do it well. Look into what will be
      expected of you if your knight wins the tourney before you agree to
      have him carry your favor.

      Coblaith Mhuimhneach
      Barony of Bryn Gwlad
      Kingdom of Ansteorra