Re: [SCA Newcomers] Household basics (was: The Don't Speech)

  • Ahavah Ehyeh
    Message 1 of 19 , Aug 30, 2006
      Thank you so much for sharing this! As a newcomer, I wasn't exactly sure
      what a 'household' was - would it be my family? My local group? etc. I found
      this very helpful, and I hope you'll put it in the Files section of the
      group. Thanks again!
    • Iustinos Tekton called Justin
      Message 2 of 19 , Aug 30, 2006
        On Wednesday 30 August 2006 10:40, Ahavah Ehyeh wrote:
        > Thank you so much for sharing this! As a newcomer, I wasn't exactly sure
        > what a 'household' was - would it be my family? My local group? etc. I found
        > this very helpful, and I hope you'll put it in the Files section of the
        > group. Thanks again!

        Doh!!!! I should have mentioned the *other* three kinds of households:

        * Your modern-world family can also be a "household" in the SCA, if you want
        it to be. That's actually how ours (Erevnite Asteron) got started, since
        it was myself and my lady, Milica. We invited friends in and it grew over
        time.

        * Your *persona* can have an SCA family -- and thereby, if you wish, a
        household -- that has nothing to do with your modern family. For instance,
        an SCA friend whose persona is from the same time and place as yours may
        be your SCA brother, sister, father, etc., if the two of you agree that
        it is so.

        * In at least some kingdoms, the King and Queen, Prince and Princess, and
        their retainers become a sort of de-facto "royal household" during Their
        reign.

        In period, the household could mean anything from "all those who live in
        the same cottage or mansion" to "a large political organization centered around
        a powerful family" (such as the Medici family). And of course the notion of
        royal household is very period, though it may not have used that particular
        terminology.

        Sorry I left these out. See? There are so many kinds of household that even
        a 15+ year veteran of the SCA can't name them all off the top of his head. :-)

        Thanks for the kind words about my post, btw. :-)

        keys fesswise reversed sable.

      • Ahavah Ehyeh
        Message 3 of 19 , Aug 30, 2006
          Justin, thank you for clarifying! I was wondering whether my little family
          could be a household, or if we would have to wait to be invited into one. I
          suppose we'll wait anyway, and see if we'll even have personas from the same
          time. LOL Does that matter?

          Many Blessings,
          Amanda
          DONA, Int'l-trained birth doula, Medicine Reiki Master
          http://ahavah-ehyeh.livejournal.com/

        • whiteorangeandgreen
          Message 4 of 19 , Aug 30, 2006
            The only thing that matters as far as BEING a household is that those
            involved agree. As for REGISTERING a household NAME, it just has to
            pass the Rules for Submission
            (http://www.sca.org/heraldry/laurel/rfs.html - shortened url:
            http://tinyurl.com/lvt5l). The household DOES NOT need a name
            registered for it; a registered name is only a convenience (it helps
            prevent multiple groups of the same name trying to register at an
            event and remain distinct).

            The SCA as an entity doesn't really care why a household forms. They
            also don't care who's in a household, let alone a particular
            household. The only time the causes become significant is when the
            MEMBERS of the HOUSEHOLD deem that they're important. IOW, if you
            make a household, it's a household; the reasons only matter to you.

            Ciaran O'Cainnech who sincerely hopes that makes sense outside his head.
            --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, "Ahavah Ehyeh" <AhavahEhyeh@...>

            Message 5 of 19 , Aug 30, 2006
              On Wednesday 30 August 2006 14:13, Ahavah Ehyeh wrote:
              > Justin, thank you for clarifying! I was wondering whether my little family
              > could be a household, or if we would have to wait to be invited into one. I

              You are a household if you say that you are a household. The SCA has nothing
              to say about it one way or the other. Have fun!

              > suppose we'll wait anyway, and see if we'll even have personas from the same
              > time. LOL Does that matter?

              It only matters if *you* think it matters. Again, the household is not an
              official SCA entity, so the rules are strictly up to you.

              Have fun!

                Message 7 of 19 , Aug 31, 2006
                  In a message dated 8/30/2006 2:19:56 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
                  AhavahEhyeh@... writes:

                  <<I suppose we'll wait anyway, and see if we'll even have personas from the
                  same
                  time. LOL Does that matter?>>

                  Not necessarily. My own household is a service household; it's made up of
                  people who like running events, cooking feasts, being good officers, acting as
                  chirurgeons and heralds, etc. It's very loosely structured on a Scottish
                  clan since the person who started it has an early Scottish persona. But we
                  include every sort of persona from generic SCA to authenticist Elizabethan, 14th
                  century English, 13th century Scottish, including a Russian gypsy. We also
                  have members everywhere form Europe to Australia, although the main focus is
                  in Pennsylvania.
                  It all depends on what pulls the household together.

                  Lancaster, PA

                • Ahavah Ehyeh
                  Message 8 of 19 , Aug 31, 2006
                    All right, thank you! That sounds like a wonderful group of people. I
                    understand it a lot better now. I'm eager to meet folks and get involved,
                    but I will remember the caution to take it slow and not just jump into
                    things. Thanks again!

                    Message 9 of 19 , Sep 4 2:35 PM
                      In a message dated 9/4/2006 4:15:18 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
                      dalyboyd@... writes:
                      --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, "Sonja" <sonja_n@...> wrote:

                      >>Greetings, I recently joined the SCA. I saw this series of posts and
                      had to join in.
                      I have not had the best of experiences so far. I find the people
                      in the group have the attitude "we want you here for the stats, but
                      you're on your own, newbie."
                      I have been going to every populace and A&S workshop this Shire
                      has offered trying to learn what I can and "fit in". I never know if
                      I will be acknowledged by members of this group from meeting to
                      meeting. This weekend, I attended my first Kingdom event. Noone at
                      the affair spoke to me or my family, not even a "Good-day", that
                      includes all but three of my shire members. So, today I spoke with
                      the Shire Chatelaine and as tactfully as I could asked why it is
                      that noone seems to be openly friendly to new people, that included
                      Shire members. This is my interpretation of what I was told:
                      You EARN the right to be an honored member of the SCA. You find
                      your specialty, work hard to learn/develop it on your own, volunteer
                      to help at every event and hope that some day your talents and
                      efforts are noticed by someone more experienced who offers you an
                      apprenticeship of some kind. Then, you will become a member of a
                      guild/household and be accepted officially.
                      Now, I am trying to decide whether it is worth that kind of effort
                      to be "accepted". It seems awfully college sorority/fraternity to
                      me. And, I am way past those years.
                      I have only lived in this state three years. Please tell me that
                      this is not a typical attitude of the members of the SCA.>>

                      Good heavens! That is absolutely appalling. No, that is absolutely not a
                      typical attitude. We had a family of four newcomers, one of whose children is
                      handicapped, come to an event this weekend. The only person in the group
                      who had spoken to them prior to the event was the chatelaine, who also happened
                      to be the autocrat.
                      By all observation and speaking to them, they had a great time. By the end
                      of Saturday, they had been helping keep track of the younger children, had
                      been able to assist in lighting a stove which was being finicky, had watched
                      and talked with the fighters arming for a tournament, and had sat at dinner
                      with the chatelaine and her family. By Sunday evening, three of the 4 had
                      participated in a game of longball ( a period version of baseball) including the
                      handicapped boy, had chatted with just about everybody on site, and the
                      daughter had joined enthusiastically in the dancing. This morning they were
                      included in the group as if they had been with us for years. Mind you, they are
                      all outgoing folks; that certainly helps. Another newcomer also played in the
                      game and was talking and beginning to play with the musicians by the time he
                      left the event.

                      It is true that in the SCA you earn your honors and awards. However, honors
                      and awards are not the same as friendship or even simple courtesy. There is
                      NO excuse for being rude and exclusionary to newcomers. Nor are you
                      expected, much less required, to "find your speciality and develop it on your own in
                      hopes of being noticed and accepted". That is absolute rubbish. What
                      should be happening is that your chatelaine should be taking notes of your
                      interests and pointing you at the people who already do those things so they can
                      help you along and teach you, or at least be available to tell you who is
                      knowledgeable in that area when you come and ask.
                      Yes, people who help at events tend to be welcomed with more open arms then
                      those who sit back and expect to be catered to; that's to be expected in a
                      society that runs entirely on volunteer labor. But an apprenticeship or
                      membership in a guild or household are certainly not something that needs to happen
                      for you to be accepted; in fact I earned one of the society's highest
                      awards, one which traditionally involves an apprenticeship, never once having been
                      asked or considering asking for an apprenticeship.

                      If you would care to send me that chatelaine's name and group information, I
                      think a little chat with his/her superior is in order to set this person
                      straight. He/she is doing a grave disservice to the society if that is what
                      newcomers are getting from speaking to him/her. Having been a chatelaine myself
                      for many years, I am more than willing to take this up.

                      Brangwayna Morgan
                      bronwynmgn@...
                      Shire of Silver Rylle, East Kingdom
                      Lancaster, PA

                    • Maria
                      Message 10 of 19 , Sep 4 7:04 PM
                        Ok. Well I was going to reply to this this morning, but when I wrote the reply I re-read it and it sounded ... well frankly nasty. I don't want to say anything bad about other groups.

                        That said ... here's what I would have writtten in a slightly more ... nice language.

                        Unfortunately when you get any large group of people together, you get what I like to call "politics". "Politics" can take any form. One of those is the attitude that you've described. Also when you get any large group of people together you also get the people who don't really know how to help. Your Chatelaine should be the one to get you introduced to people, but he/she may not know the people they need to. I was in the SCA for 6 years before I became a Hospitaler (the southern equivelant of the Chatelaine).

                        If you can tell me where you're at and what your interests are, I can see if I can find someone who is willing to take you under their wing and help you out - introduce you around to people, etc. Email me privately at scarlettmb@... and I'll be happy to get you in touch with the people who will be able to help you.

                        Now that I've said all of that, if you ever find yourself in the Houston area please feel free to call me or email me. I'm always at the disposal of all newcomers.

                        I hope to hear from you, Sonja, and look forward to introducing you to some people who will really help.

                        In Service to the Dream,
                        Lady Elizabeta Maria dei Medici
                        Maria Buchanan
                        Hospitaler - Barony of the Stargate
                        Hospitaler - Shire of Gate's Edge
                        281-433-0347
[...]
                        Thanks, Daly

                        Message 11 of 19 , Sep 4 7:51 PM
                          I know how you feel Justin. I was like ready to chew iron and spit nails this morning when I read that.

                          Like I said, I had a much more nastily worded response this morning, but didn't want to give the wrong impression.

                          Maria
                          On Sunday 03 September 2006 23:09, Daly wrote:
                          > You EARN the right to be an honored member of the SCA. You find
                          > your specialty, work hard to learn/develop it on your own, volunteer
                          > to help at every event and hope that some day your talents and
                          > efforts are noticed by someone more experienced who offers you an
                          > apprenticeship of some kind. Then, you will become a member of a
                          > guild/household and be accepted officially.

                          I will have a more reasoned response after my temper cools down, but right
                          now I am *furious* to hear that you were told such things. This is utter
                          nonsense! (I'm not angry at you, but whoever told you this. What a load
                          of garbage.)

                          keys fesswise reversed sable.

                        • Sonja
                          Message 12 of 19 , Sep 5 2:37 AM
                            Good Day Lady Elizabeta,
                            I did not post this, however I appreciate you response and I am sure
                            Daly does as well.
                            I have had similar experiences. I have often gone to events where no one
                            spoke to me. Not so much as a "hello".
                            My new tactic to deal with this is to hold my head high and approach all
                            these people and introduce myself. (which is not easy as I am somewhat
                            shy)
                            And when I see someone who is new (newer than I anyway) or has that lost
                            look about them, I make a point of speaking to them and making them feel
                            welcome.
                            No one should ever be made to feel that they are not welcomed or that
                            they are in some way inferior to the rest of the folks. It really upset
                            me when it happened to me and I have vowed that I will not let it happen
                            to others. I am new and don't know a darn thing about anything and don't
                            know many people, but I know how to smile and say hello and offer a
                            drink or a place to rest tired feet or whatever. It does not take much
                            of an effort at all. Obviously some of these people forgot what it was
                            like to be new and should be ashamed of themselves.

                            Sonja of Malagentia

[...]

                            privately at scarlettmb@sbcgloba <mailto:scarlettmb%40sbcglobal.net>
                            l.net and I'll be happy to get you in touch with the people who will be

                          • Maria
                            Message 13 of 19 , Sep 5 10:08 AM
                              Sorry I must have misread the forwards. Daly, please take that email as to you.

                              Maria

                              Greetings, I recently joined the SCA. I saw this series of posts and
                              had to join in.
                              I have not had the best of experiences so far. I find the people
                              in the group have the attitude "we want you here for the stats, but
                              you're on your own, newbie."
                              I have been going to every populace and A&S workshop this Shire
                              has offered trying to learn what I can and "fit in". I never know if
                              I will be acknowledged by members of this group from meeting to
                              meeting. This weekend, I attended my first Kingdom event. Noone at
                              the affair spoke to me or my family, not even a "Good-day", that
                              includes all but three of my shire members. So, today I spoke with
                              the Shire Chatelaine and as tactfully as I could asked why it is
                              that noone seems to be openly friendly to new people, that included
                              Shire members. This is my interpretation of what I was told:
                              You EARN the right to be an honored member of the SCA. You find
                              your specialty, work hard to learn/develop it on your own, volunteer
                              to help at every event and hope that some day your talents and
                              efforts are noticed by someone more experienced who offers you an
                              apprenticeship of some kind. Then, you will become a member of a
                              guild/household and be accepted officially.
                              Now, I am trying to decide whether it is worth that kind of effort
                              to be "accepted". It seems awfully college sorority/fraternity to
                              me. And, I am way past those years.
                              I have only lived in this state three years. Please tell me that
                              this is not a typical attitude of the members of the SCA.
                              Thanks, Daly

                              > Thanks for the boisterous response!

                            • April
                              Message 14 of 19 , Sep 5 10:55 AM
                                Greetings Dear Friends

                                I live in the wonderful Kingdom of AnTir in the Barony of Terra Pomeria. I am by nature extremely shy and found the first few times my husband and I went to SCA events very scary and nerve wracking. Many people in my area were quick with a hello and smile but I just have a hard time talking to people I dont know. I quickly realized that one way to meet people overcoming my handicap ( I am in fact known to be so shy that in a college speach class I got up to speak and passed out!) was to go to people who were doing activities that intersted me. Every crafter I met be he or she spinner, stitcher, weaver, knitter or painter was only to happy to talk about their craft, its history, materials and their personal projects. Infact many of them were so happy to share I often left with a list of supplies or some supplies and instructions to start my own projects. (Which lead to a huge pile of projects of various types of crafts for me to decide which I like the best!). Also I often joined groups of people doing things I really wasnt so interested in. Heavy fighting I like to watch but really have no desire to be a fighter nor do I really concern myself with the various rules and regulations but I promise you there are very few fighters who will not share their love of fighting rules, skills, and regulations with you. I was often encouraged to try to hold weapons , take a swing , etc. While I really did not get a great perspective about fighting I was often introduced to other people in the fighter's group including consorts, friends , etc. In the matter of a few meetings I knew enough names to feel more comfortable around my group. While it is true that some people in the SCA can be a little snooty there are many of us who would be only too happy to get to know you and encourage you to get to know us. Being a part of this group is a great step. Getting to know other new people helped me feel less stupid about not knowing proper etiquette or court politics. If anyone is in the Terra Pomeria area and wants to meet up with me feel free to contact me. I will be at Acorn war this year, after having missed several events due to poor health.

                                YIS

                                April of Terra Pomeria

                                current Bar Wench Smack Down Champ!

                              • Daly
                                Message 15 of 19 , Sep 6 10:08 AM
                                  --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, "Maria" <scarlettmb@...> wrote:
                                  >Greetings All:
                                  Thanks so much for the advice and encouragement. At the event, my
                                  daughters and I decided we would just walk around and say "hello" to
                                  people or just make eye contact and smile. I have never seen such
                                  odd responses. Most people just walked on by. So, we did try.
                                  I do tend to be a bit insecure with people;esp. in groups. But,
                                  I feel I have put my best foot forward with these people. I do
                                  understand that it takes time to get to know people who have been
                                  together for many years and feel they are a "family". That is the
                                  term one member said in front of me to another member of the group.
                                  I also believe there are a couple people in this particular group
                                  who are of the frame of mind that they are above newbies and there
                                  is a hierarchy in the SCA of which they are a part. I guess it would
                                  behoove me to steer clear of those types as they can offer me no
                                  help.
                                  I am trying to take the attitude that I will remain as emotionally
                                  and intellectually open as I can so that I will be able to learn
                                  what I can from this group and go on.
                                  Would it be appropriate to post something on the Kingdom Yahoo
                                  groups boards stating that I am new and am interested in
                                  _____whatever and ask if there are other new people or experienced
                                  ones that would be interested in chatting online or meeting?
                                  I am not sure at this point what else to do except continue to
                                  attend meetings and A&S workshops and learn.
                                  This group is small and the event was small. There was noone
                                  sitting and doing crafts other than sewing.
                                  Thanks all

                                • May
                                  Message 16 of 19 , Sep 7 11:42 AM
                                    I'm very sorry that you had such an experience. Perhaps there is
                                    another group close by that you might click a little better with? I
                                    just joined up in the past couple of weeks. One thing that I found
                                    to be very helpful is a multitude of research and striving to become
                                    involved in as much as possible. As a child/teenager I was
                                    interested in archery, so I attend every archery practice. I also
                                    did a little research as to some period snacks and brought them
                                    along to my first practice. This helped to show everyone that I
                                    wanted to contribute to the group and to the period atmosphere. The
                                    first weekend that I attended fight practice I spent reading an
                                    article on 13th/14th century german embroidery which gave me a topic
                                    to discuss with a woman there bearing a case of craft supplies who
                                    offered to teach me fingerlooping. From that conversation she
                                    invited me to go along with her to an event this weekend. Yay! My
                                    first event! :) I'm also painfully shy, but I learned a few years
                                    ago that you have two options (1) watch and wait and you will be
                                    watching and waiting an hour from now, or (2) dive in and an hour
                                    from now you will either be going places you never thought possible
                                    or watching and waiting. With the first method you know you've lost
                                    before you even started, with the second...who knows! :)

                                    Good luck!
                                    May :)