Re: Poll: Hard to get involved in SCA?

  • alaric_vonbrukhausen
    Message 1 of 2565 , Jan 27, 2001
      Hail again,<br>This is my new online persona, som
      as to match my SCA persona. I am still the same
      Alaric that posted my armour in the pics section, just a
      new online name.<br>Getting started is rough, there
      is no question about it. But I have found that
      mainly MY problem with getting rolling was... well...
      lazyness. I have just recently begun making my own garb and
      as I am having ALOT of trouble finding fighter
      practices that are not on Sundays through thursdays, that
      may be making it even harder. You see, I work grave
      shift and have Friday night and Saturday nights off...
      there are no practices in my LOCAL area for practice.
      But I will say this, I have had several responces to
      every inquiry I have sent about it. I just wish the
      information was easily available.<br>Just remember, getting
      started is not the tough part, finding folks you are
      comfortable with may be the hardest. The SCA is like school,
      I can kinda remember that far back,... you will
      find friends, enemies and folks that you just
      associate with, but in the long run, you will find your
      nitch and a great group of folks and have a great time.
      Force yourself to attend meetings and gatherings. Go in
      your mundane clothes if need be, if folks get on you
      about it, then ask how you can get involved to make
      some garb! Problem solved... but get rolling... I have
      "shlepped" along with the SCA for 12 years or so, and have
      just now begun to "get involved". I kick myself daily
      for my foot dragging. Just dive in, if the water is
      too cold... move to warmer waters... but stay
      wet.<br><br>Alaric von Brukhausen
    • bubdog101
      Message 2565 of 2565 , Dec 6, 2003