Re: [SCA Newcomers] New to the SCA

  • Melissa Carter
    Message 1 of 19 , Aug 20, 2006
      Welcome to the insanity!
      I totally understand about the length issue you have (I'm 6'0" but I am also quite ample the way round as well ). I've been learning as I go to make my own garb. I never had the desire to sew a stitch in my life until I started playing in the SCA. If you don't sew or don't WANT to sew I bet ya there are plenty of people in your local group that would be willing to trade/barter making your garb for something you can do for them (don't limit yourself to SCA talents...perhaps a date night for them or some other modern activity!) At the moment my husband is stripping and sanding a large loom for a gentle here who in turn is making him Landsknecht garb (yep its a pretty big loom!)
      Have fun, don't fret it will all come together,
      Hedwig
      Ansteorra

    • Janet
      Message 2 of 19 , Aug 20, 2006
        Ummmmm......wow, uhhhh, he won't let you talk to
        people that might affect his image? Does anyone else
        seem to have an issue with this? This is a game. If
        you're going to play then have fun and talk to whoever
        the heck you want to talk to. If you want to talk to
        the Princess and she wants to talk to you, then go
        ahead, just remember that she is a Princess and there
        is certain protocol about approaching them,yada yada
        yada (if you want more info about SCA customs and
        dealing with royalty, etc, just let me know). I mean
        royals are people too.

        Ok, having gotten that out of the way....
        I really like the name Aurelia. I used it when I was
        studying Latin in high school. :)

        Anyway, what questions do you have so far about the
        SCA? or are you at the point where you need info and
        just don't have a clue where to start? Feel free to
        post any questions to the list or you could also email
        me off list if you want.

        Isabel
        Middle Kingdom
        hi_it_is_me@...

        --- amanda christopher <mom62702@...> wrote:

        > Yeah. Instanity it is. My man returned from
        > Pennsic last night. He sometimes has a problem with
        > being SCA vs. real life. As of this morning when I
        > left his house; he was still Lothar. He is suppose
        > to be coming to my house tonight and hopefully he
        > will be himself. I am trying to learn as much as
        > possible about the SCA. I am doing the callig and
        > crosstich. He only does sword and shield. I have
        > been warned to only talk to ppl that he approves of
        > so it dosent affect his image. Also when I have
        > talked to the Princess, I have been told that I
        > should not do that unless I tell him ahead of time
        > so he can be there with me. I am hoping that I can
        > find ppl to talk to that have some of the same
        > concerns that I do, or at least have gone through
        > things in the past.
        >
        > Thanks,
        >
        > Aurelia

        http://mail.yahoo.com
      • Maria
        Message 3 of 19 , Aug 20, 2006
          Yeah Janet that's about what I was going to say. That seems a little ... well it wouldn't fly with me at least.

          Anyway, Janet's right. It's a GAME!!! Some people seem to have trouble remembering that. Have fun and talk to whoever you want to. Just remember that if you approach the royals, you need to bow or curtsy.

          But seriously, it's a game. Remember that.

          In Service to the Dream,
          Lady Elizabeta Maria dei Medici, SSG
          Maria Buchanan
          Official Worrier of House Starfire
          Hospitaler - Barony of the Stargate
          Hospitaler - Shire of Gate's Edge
          In the Stellar Kingdom of Ansteorra
          281-433-0347
          Ummmmm......wow, uhhhh, he won't let you talk to
          people that might affect his image? Does anyone else
          seem to have an issue with this? This is a game. If
          you're going to play then have fun and talk to whoever
          the heck you want to talk to. If you want to talk to
          the Princess and she wants to talk to you, then go
          ahead, just remember that she is a Princess and there
          is certain protocol about approaching them,yada yada
          yada (if you want more info about SCA customs and
          dealing with royalty, etc, just let me know). I mean
          royals are people too.

          Ok, having gotten that out of the way....
          I really like the name Aurelia. I used it when I was
          studying Latin in high school. :)

          Anyway, what questions do you have so far about the
          SCA? or are you at the point where you need info and
          just don't have a clue where to start? Feel free to
          post any questions to the list or you could also email
          me off list if you want.

          Isabel
          Middle Kingdom
          hi_it_is_me@...

          --- amanda christopher <mom62702@...> wrote:

          > Yeah. Instanity it is. My man returned from
          > Pennsic last night. He sometimes has a problem with
          > being SCA vs. real life. As of this morning when I
          > left his house; he was still Lothar. He is suppose
          > to be coming to my house tonight and hopefully he
          > will be himself. I am trying to learn as much as
          > possible about the SCA. I am doing the callig and
          > crosstich. He only does sword and shield. I have
          > been warned to only talk to ppl that he approves of
          > so it dosent affect his image. Also when I have
          > talked to the Princess, I have been told that I
          > should not do that unless I tell him ahead of time
          > so he can be there with me. I am hoping that I can
          > find ppl to talk to that have some of the same
          > concerns that I do, or at least have gone through
          > things in the past.
          >
          > Thanks,
          >
          > Aurelia

          http://mail.yahoo.com

        • Melissa Carter
          Message 4 of 19 , Aug 21, 2006
            Yeah...what they said! Really, the insanity should be FUN insanity. For you to enjoy yourself you need to be able to find others with like minds and interests and at least feel comfortable walking around an event not worry about whom you're speaking with. I find that the royals I've met are not nearly as uptight as you might first imagine. Yes, be very courteous and when you say hello let them know you're new...they will understand and they aren't going to chop your head off (at least I hope they won't ;-) ). Having said that I understand that each kingdom Is a bit different but here in Ansteorra I find the crown and most of the royal family to be very nice and understanding people who love this game and want everyone (especially the newcomers) to enjoy themselves.
            Just have fun, find people to PLAY the GAME with that you can have fun with. One of my first thoughts was, "Wow, I wonder if he really likes what he's doing or if it is just another job for him?"

            Hedwig
            Ansteorra

          • Kristine Elliott
            Message 5 of 19 , Aug 22, 2006
              It does sound like a danger sign in a relationship to me.

              Scolastica

              --
              http://www.geocities.com/souriete/

              If you can't get rid of them ugly old skeletons in the closet, at least
              teach
              'em how to dance funny. Billy C. Wirtz

            • panzerfuzz
              Message 6 of 19 , Feb 18, 2008
                Allo all...My name is Dave and I'm new to the SCA. I have a few
                questions to ask. I did some live steel for awhile, I wanted to know if
                chain mail and leather armor will work in SCA combat. I do not care for
                heavy armor,I like useing duel weapons and I like moveing around the
                combat area. If leather armor works for the SCA combat, how thick
                should it be? I'm So Cal area..Due to meet up with my new group next
                month..So if you So Cal area..I hope to meet you. Dave
              • Oakes, George
                Message 7 of 19 , Feb 18, 2008
                  I know you may use leather all over, the thicknesses vary based on
                  location. Padding must be placed under the armor too. I do know know if
                  a helmet can be made entirely out of leather though. I think that must
                  be a minimum of 16guage steel. Check on the SCa.org website, I think the
                  requirements are in a document there somewhere. I cannot get to it from
                  work or I would have sent the link.

                  Gavin

                  ________________________________

                  Allo all...My name is Dave and I'm new to the SCA. I have a few
                  questions to ask. I did some live steel for awhile, I wanted to know if
                  chain mail and leather armor will work in SCA combat. I do not care for
                  heavy armor,I like useing duel weapons and I like moveing around the
                  combat area. If leather armor works for the SCA combat, how thick
                  should it be? I'm So Cal area..Due to meet up with my new group next
                  month..So if you So Cal area..I hope to meet you. Dave

                • Parr, Brian M. IT3 (FITZ CC)
                  Message 8 of 19 , Feb 18, 2008
                    All heavy combat armor that is made of metal must be 16 gauge steel or
                    thicker (For gauges of steel the smaller the number the thicker) and for
                    leather it must be armor grade 13/15 oz leather. Padding differs from
                    kingdom to kingdom some not requiring any. Hope this helps.

                    Phillip the Black

                    (Munedane Brian M. Parr)

                    You are not what you were born, but what you have it in yourself to be.

                    From: scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com
                    <mailto:scanewcomers%40yahoogroups.com>

                      Message 10 of 19 , Feb 18, 2008
                        Greetings,

                        I think that should have been the helmet can NOT be made out of
                        leather. And the minimum is 14g steel. Section VI of the Marshals
                        handbook give details to the specs.

                        http://www.sca.org/officers/marshal/combat/armored/marshal_handbook.p
                        df

                        Remember these are the basics and the kingdoms can add to these
                        requirements. In southern Cal, is Caid. There are a few handbooks
                        located at http://marshal.sca-caid.org/pubs.php.

                        I did some live steel in the past and the SCA style of combat is
                        very different from the live steel groups. Find your local marshal
                        and get with him/her, they will be a big help.

                        Yours in Service,
                        Herr Otto von Schwyz
                        Barony of Sacred Stone, Atlantia

                        --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, "Oakes, George" <goakes@...>
                        wrote:

                        > I know you may use leather all over, the thicknesses vary based on
                        > location. Padding must be placed under the armor too. I do know
                        know if
                        > a helmet can be made entirely out of leather though. I think that
                        must
                        > be a minimum of 16guage steel. Check on the SCa.org website, I
                        think the
                        > requirements are in a document there somewhere. I cannot get to it
                        from
                        > work or I would have sent the link.
                        >
                        > Gavin
                        >
                        > ________________________________

                      • Chris Chastain
                        Message 11 of 19 , Feb 18, 2008
                          Best place I've found for something reasonably priced is one of these,

                          http://cgi.ebay.com/FUNCTIONAL-MEDIEVAL-COMBAT-HELM-HELMET-Hinged-SCA-Armor_
                          W0QQitemZ110224416506QQihZ001QQcategoryZ135QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksid
                          Zp1742.m153.l1262

                          I use this same helm and haven't had a single problem. It's cheap compared
                          to some others and meets the requirements, you just add padding, chin strap
                          and lacing to keep front closed and your good to go.

                          Dmitrii

                          "A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon."
                          Napoleon Bonaparte

                          Victorious warriors win first and then go to war, while defeated warriors go
                          to war first and then seek to win.
                          <http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/quotes/s/suntzu387509.html> Sun Tzu

                          _____

                          Message 12 of 19 , Feb 18, 2008
                            Sorry, yahoo broke the link, heres the fixed one.

                            http://cgi.ebay.com/FUNCTIONAL-MEDIEVAL-COMBAT-HELM-HELMET-Hinged-SCA-Armor_
                            W0QQitemZ110224416506QQihZ001QQcategoryZ135QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksid
                            Zp1742.m153.l1262

                            Yours in Humble Service,

                              From: scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com

                              Message 14 of 19 , Feb 18, 2008
                                Aye! These links will serve me well. Thank you, Dave

                                Tim <ottovonschwyz@...> wrote: Greetings,