Re: Veteran Opinions on proposed Device

  • Melissa
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 20, 2006
      I have to totally agree with Sara. Your first choice rocks and I
      conflict checked it also (I'm a herald that's what I do :-) ) and I
      concur no conflicts. I have to also agree that your second choice
      although very nice is so over done in the SCA that I would steer away
      from it. But, at least it isn't bend sinister (although done a lot in
      the SCA isn't really a good period type choice).
      I'd say get your paperwork all lined out and when your wayward herald
      returns from Pennsic...submit...submit...submit!

      Hedwig
      (Who hopes one day to also be a wayward herald at Pennsic!)
    • welshdane
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 20, 2006
        What if I changed the griffin to Or and made the pheon Sable. My
        partner is also looking to register a device and has fallen in love
        with this one. Suggestions? Thank you

        --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, Sara L Uckelman <liana@...>
        wrote:

        > Quoth "welshdane":
        > > Greetings all.
        > > I have uploaded 2 pictures for opinions. They are my 1st and 2nd
        > > choice for a personal device for registration. My local herald
        is away
        > > at Pennsic War and I am interested in getting comments.
        >
        > Wow, I *really* like your first choice. Clear, simple, classic
        > design...this is the sort of thing great heraldry is all about.
        > This would be blazoned "Azure, a tree blasted and eradicated and
        > on a chief argent, three pheons sable." I found no conflicts with
        > currently registered armory, so I see no bars to registration if
        > this is the design you chose to go with.
        >
        > Your second one, "Per bend argent and azure, a pheon and a griffin
        > passant counterchanged," has no stylistic problems, but the motif
        > "Per bend X and Y, two different charges counterchanged" is
        something
        > that's really overused in the SCA, compared to how often it was
        > done in the Middle Ages. I found no conflicts, so it would be
        > registerable, but if you want arms which impress people with their
        > Good Period Style, I'd definitely recommend the first over the
        > second.
        >
        > -Aryanhwy
        >

        > --
        > vita sine literis mors est
        > http://www.ellipsis.cx/~liana/

      • peachyfaun
        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 20, 2006
          "welshdane" <schnauzer2@...> wrote:

          > I have uploaded 2 pictures for opinions.

          I can't offer any advice, being a newbie myself, but I would love to
          see what you have done, Where can I see them?

          Tiffany for now
        • Sara L Uckelman
          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 20, 2006
            Quoth "welshdane":
            > What if I changed the griffin to Or and made the pheon Sable. My
            > partner is also looking to register a device and has fallen in love
            > with this one. Suggestions? Thank you

            I didn't see any conflicts with that tincture combination either, but
            the use of four different tinctures instead of two does make this
            resemble period style even less than the other one did.

            -Aryanhwy

            --
            vita sine literis mors est
            http://www.ellipsis.cx/~liana/