local shire/group

  • David
    Message 1 of 15 , Aug 8, 2006
      How can you verify that the shire/group in your area is still active?

      I searched through the SCA website and didn't really see any posts
      newer than 2005. Not gonna say I didnt miss it but it is the only one
      within reasonable driving distance.
    • Troy Petersen
      Message 2 of 15 , Aug 13, 2006
        Can I ask where you are geographically? If this was already posted and I
        missed it then I apologize.

        --
        YIS
        Troy Petersen

        There is no need for temples, no need for complicated philosophy. Our own
        brain, our own heart is our temple: The philosophy is kindness.
        - His Holiness the 14th Dalai Lama

        Nihil obstat
        � Nothing stands in the way

      • Susan B. Farmer
        Message 3 of 15 , Aug 13, 2006
          Quoting David <mindifismoke@...>:

          > How can you verify that the shire/group in your area is still active?
          >
          > I searched through the SCA website and didn't really see any posts
          > newer than 2005. Not gonna say I didnt miss it but it is the only one
          > within reasonable driving distance.

          If you tell us where it is -- or which group it is, somebody here might
          know something.

          jerusha in Meridies
          -----
          Susan Farmer
          sfarmer@...
          University of Tennessee
        • Troy Petersen
          Message 4 of 15 , Aug 13, 2006
            This is actually for Susan, are you by chance in Nashville? My brother in
            law is stationed at Ft. Campbell, and even though he is deployed currently,
            my sister is there and they have both said that they have had trouble
            contacting local people. they both want to get back into the SCA after a
            couple years abscence. If you are in the Nashville area and maybe know who
            they can contact, then any help would be greatly appreciated, if not, then I
            guess disregard all this, hehe..thanks either way.

            --
            YIS
            Troy Petersen

            Message 5 of 15 , Aug 13, 2006
              Quoting Troy Petersen <symondeipswich@...>:

              > This is actually for Susan, are you by chance in Nashville? My brother in
              > law is stationed at Ft. Campbell, and even though he is deployed currently,
              > my sister is there and they have both said that they have had trouble
              > contacting local people. they both want to get back into the SCA after a
              > couple years abscence. If you are in the Nashville area and maybe know who
              > they can contact, then any help would be greatly appreciated, if not, then I
              > guess disregard all this, hehe..thanks either way.

              I'm not in Nashville, but I do know who to send this to! Consider it
              forwarded.

              Susan
              -----
              Susan Farmer
              sfarmer@...
              University of Tennessee
            • Sara L Uckelman
              Message 6 of 15 , Aug 14, 2006
                Quoth "David":
                > How can you verify that the shire/group in your area is still active?
                >
                > I searched through the SCA website and didn't really see any posts
                > newer than 2005. Not gonna say I didnt miss it but it is the only one
                > within reasonable driving distance.

                One way to verify is to email the contact person for the group; if
                the group has a webpage, you can usually find the Seneschal or
                Chatelaine's email listed there. If the group doesn't have a web
                page, most kingdoms have a list of their currently active local
                groups on their kingdom web page (and you can find all the kingdom
                web pages from http://www.sca.org/geography/), usually with the
                email address of the Seneschal.

                Failing that, you can email the kingdom Chatelaine asking for
                a contact in the area you are located.

                -Aryanhwy

                --
                vita sine literis mors est
                http://www.ellipsis.cx/~liana/
                Message 7 of 15 , Aug 14, 2006
                  Thanks all, found them a few days ago. Gonna wander into a fighter
                  practice this week.

                  --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, Sara L Uckelman <liana@...>
                  wrote:

                  > Quoth "David":
                  > > How can you verify that the shire/group in your area is still
                  active?

                  > > I searched through the SCA website and didn't really see any
                  posts
                  > > newer than 2005. Not gonna say I didnt miss it but it is the only
                  one
                  > > within reasonable driving distance.
                  >
                  > One way to verify is to email the contact person for the group; if
                  > the group has a webpage, you can usually find the Seneschal or
                  > Chatelaine's email listed there. If the group doesn't have a web
                  > page, most kingdoms have a list of their currently active local
                  > groups on their kingdom web page (and you can find all the kingdom
                  > web pages from http://www.sca.org/geography/), usually with the
                  > email address of the Seneschal.
                  >
                  > Failing that, you can email the kingdom Chatelaine asking for
                  > a contact in the area you are located.
                  >
                  > -Aryanhwy
                  >

                  > --
                  > vita sine literis mors est
                  > http://www.ellipsis.cx/~liana/

                • Susan B. Farmer
                  Message 8 of 15 , Aug 14, 2006
                    Quoting Sara L Uckelman <liana@...>:

                    > Quoth "David":
                    >> How can you verify that the shire/group in your area is still active?
                    >>
                    >> I searched through the SCA website and didn't really see any posts
                    >> newer than 2005. Not gonna say I didnt miss it but it is the only one
                    >> within reasonable driving distance.
                    >
                    > One way to verify is to email the contact person for the group; if
                    > the group has a webpage, you can usually find the Seneschal or
                    > Chatelaine's email listed there.

                    If this is the same group that I was contacted off-list about, it's
                    centered around a military base that's heavily involved in the mideast.
                    So there's a *lot* of ebb and flow with that group between the high
                    turnover normal to a military posting to folks coming home from and
                    going off on deployment.

                    jerusha
                    -----
                    Susan Farmer
                    sfarmer@...
                    University of Tennessee
                  • shyycowboy77
                    Message 9 of 15 , Aug 30, 2006
                      --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, "David" <mindifismoke@...> wrote:

                      > How can you verify that the shire/group in your area is still active?
                      >
                      > I searched through the SCA website and didn't really see any posts
                      > newer than 2005. Not gonna say I didnt miss it but it is the only one
                      > within reasonable driving distance.

                      I've Movied To Washington State,And WAS WANTED TO KNOW IF THERE WAS ANY
                      GROUPS IN THE AREA ??????? AND IF SO SEND E-MAIL.
                    • Judith Taylor
                      Message 10 of 15 , Aug 30, 2006
                        shyycowboy77 wrote:

                        > I've Movied To Washington State,And WAS WANTED TO KNOW IF THERE WAS ANY
                        > GROUPS IN THE AREA ??????? AND IF SO SEND E-MAIL.

                        Well, you might want to start off with your Kingdom's web site..
                        <http://www.antir.sca.org/>

                        Fionnseach
                        Dernehealde
                        Middle Kingdom

                        --

                        Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people
                        always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can

                        -Mark Twain

                      • David Roland
                        Message 11 of 15 , Aug 30, 2006
                          There are a LOT of groups in the State of Washington.

                          It just takes looking around to find them.

                          The Kingdom Chatelaine is:

                          Chatelaine Lady Beatrice Domenici della Campana (Katherine Finegan)
                          (503) 520-1860
                          chatelaine [at] antir.sca.org or
                          beatrice [at] antir.com

                          IF you truly get lost and can not find a group e-mail the kingdom
                          chatelaine. They'll help you for certain. But do give it the
                          college try BEFORE going to an officer of this level.

                          Ian the Green

                          --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, "shyycowboy77"
                          <shyycowboy77@...> wrote:

                          > --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, "David" <mindifismoke@> wrote:
                          > >
                          > > How can you verify that the shire/group in your area is still
                          active?

                          > > I searched through the SCA website and didn't really see any
                          posts
                          > > newer than 2005. Not gonna say I didnt miss it but it is the
                          only one
                          > > within reasonable driving distance.
                          > >
                          > I've Movied To Washington State,And WAS WANTED TO KNOW IF THERE
                          WAS ANY
                          > GROUPS IN THE AREA ??????? AND IF SO SEND E-MAIL.

                        • taby smith
                          Message 12 of 15 , Aug 31, 2006
                            I live in bremerton wa and I'm new here too.
                            TAby

                            http://mail.yahoo.com
                          • Charles Hartman
                            Message 13 of 15 , Aug 31, 2006
                              You should look up Dragons Lair in Bremerton

                              Bud

                              Message 14 of 15 , Aug 31, 2006
                                anyone on here in dragons lair?
                                TAby

                                http://mail.yahoo.com
                              • Coblaith Mhuimhneach
                                Message 15 of 15 , Aug 31, 2006
                                  TAby wrote:
                                  > I live in bremerton wa and I'm new here too.

                                  Welcome.

                                  Given the thread in which you chose to post, I assume you're looking to
                                  figure out which SCA branch is local to you? It looks like that would
                                  be the Barony of Dragon's Laire <http://www.dragonslaire.org/>. You're
                                  in luck; they've got a Newcomers' Nook on their site that looks
                                  promising as a source for answers to any "getting started" questions
                                  you may have about local events, etc.

                                  Coblaith Mhuimhneach
                                  Barony of Bryn Gwlad
                                  Kingdom of Ansteorra