Re: [SCA Newcomers] The name Charles

  • Sara L Uckelman
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 13, 2006
      Quoth "peachyfaun":
      > So what does my husband want to be called in the SCA, you guessed it,
      > Charles! Anyone know when if or how it was used? Are there names that
      > come before or after Charles in the evolution of names?

      <Charles> is definitely a fine choice. Is he wedded to this particular
      spelling? If so, then he'll want to focus on English and French, as
      the name was spelled differently in other languages. The name (in
      various forms) was quite popular in France and Germany because of
      the renown of Charles the Great (Charlemagne). It was less common in
      England, where it was introduced by the Normans, so it's appropriate
      only from the 11th century on. The form <Carle> was moderately more
      popular than <Charles> in England. [1] <Charles> is appropriate for
      pretty much all parts of France from at least the 11th century on. [2,3]
      <Charles> was a rather rare name in Scotland before Charles I, but
      it can be found in the very end of our period. [4]

      If he's interested in a different culture, let me know, and I can
      research forms of <Charles> in those languages.

      -Aryanhwy

      --
      [1] Withycombe, _Oxford Dictionary of English Christian Names_ s.n.
      Charles

      [2] "French Names from Paris, 1421, 1423, & 1438"
      http://www.ellipsis.cx/~liana/names/french/paris1423.html

      [3] "Names Found in Commercial Documents from Bordeaux, 1470-1520"
      http://www.ellipsis.cx/~liana/names/french/bordeaux.html

      [4] Black, _Surnames of Scotland_ s.n. Charles

      --
      vita sine literis mors est
      http://www.ellipsis.cx/~liana/
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 16, 2006
        While we're on the topic of names submissions, I have a quick
        question. I know that you need physical proof (photocopied, etc.) of
        the place you found your desired name. Now, what happens if you can no
        longer find the site that had your desired name? Would I be able to
        use my report from the Academy of St. Gabriel? Thanks
      • Sara L Uckelman
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 16, 2006
          Quoth "drew_radtke":
          > While we're on the topic of names submissions, I have a quick
          > question. I know that you need physical proof (photocopied, etc.) of
          > the place you found your desired name. Now, what happens if you can no
          > longer find the site that had your desired name? Would I be able to
          > use my report from the Academy of St. Gabriel? Thanks

          Printouts of a S. Gabriel Report count as the required physical
          proofs. You can find more information about using a S. Gabriel
          report as documentation in a submission at the Academy's home
          page - http://www.s-gabriel.org/

          Specifically, in the FAQ for heralds, there's a section
          "How do I use an Academy report to document a submission to the
          Society for Creative Anachronism College of Arms?"

          -Aryanhwy

          --
          vita sine literis mors est
          http://www.ellipsis.cx/~liana/