Re: [SCA Newcomers] The name Charles

  • Coblaith Mhuimhneach
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 12 1:40 AM
      Tiffany wrote:
      > Anyone know when if or how [the name "Charles"] was used? Are there
      > names that come before or after Charles in the evolution of names?

      The Academy of St. Gabriel (which researches historically accurate
      names and devices) has issued reports on the name "Charles" for a few
      people. One states that "Charles" was introduced to England in the
      12th century, but didn't become popular until the 16th
      <http://www.panix.com/~gabriel/public-bin/showfinal.cgi?1394>. Another
      indicates "Charles" is a common French name from the 13th through the
      16th centuries
      <http://www.panix.com/~gabriel/public-bin/showfinal.cgi?1929>. Visit
      the Medieval Names Archive guides for the two countries
      <http://www.s-gabriel.org/names/> to track down specific citations, and
      to make sure you get the spellings right for whichever time he chooses.

      If he's willing to consider cognates, of course, there are additional
      options. The Italians had "Carlo", the Irish "Cerlus" and "Serlus",
      the Spanish "Carlos", the Dutch "Karel" and "Carolus", the Poles and
      Slovaks "Karol", the Romanians "Carol", the Czechs "Karel", etc. They
      all ultimately derive from the Latin name "Carolus", as does "Charles"
      itself.

      Coblaith Mhuimhneach
      Barony of Bryn Gwlad
      Kingdom of Ansteorra
      <mailto:Coblaith@...>
    • Sara L Uckelman
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 13 8:53 AM
        Quoth "peachyfaun":
        > So what does my husband want to be called in the SCA, you guessed it,
        > Charles! Anyone know when if or how it was used? Are there names that
        > come before or after Charles in the evolution of names?

        <Charles> is definitely a fine choice. Is he wedded to this particular
        spelling? If so, then he'll want to focus on English and French, as
        the name was spelled differently in other languages. The name (in
        various forms) was quite popular in France and Germany because of
        the renown of Charles the Great (Charlemagne). It was less common in
        England, where it was introduced by the Normans, so it's appropriate
        only from the 11th century on. The form <Carle> was moderately more
        popular than <Charles> in England. [1] <Charles> is appropriate for
        pretty much all parts of France from at least the 11th century on. [2,3]
        <Charles> was a rather rare name in Scotland before Charles I, but
        it can be found in the very end of our period. [4]

        If he's interested in a different culture, let me know, and I can
        research forms of <Charles> in those languages.

        -Aryanhwy

        --
        [1] Withycombe, _Oxford Dictionary of English Christian Names_ s.n.
        Charles

        [2] "French Names from Paris, 1421, 1423, & 1438"
        http://www.ellipsis.cx/~liana/names/french/paris1423.html

        [3] "Names Found in Commercial Documents from Bordeaux, 1470-1520"
        http://www.ellipsis.cx/~liana/names/french/bordeaux.html

        [4] Black, _Surnames of Scotland_ s.n. Charles

        --
        vita sine literis mors est
        http://www.ellipsis.cx/~liana/
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 16 6:19 AM
          While we're on the topic of names submissions, I have a quick
          question. I know that you need physical proof (photocopied, etc.) of
          the place you found your desired name. Now, what happens if you can no
          longer find the site that had your desired name? Would I be able to
          use my report from the Academy of St. Gabriel? Thanks
        • Sara L Uckelman
          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 16 6:24 AM
            Quoth "drew_radtke":
            > While we're on the topic of names submissions, I have a quick
            > question. I know that you need physical proof (photocopied, etc.) of
            > the place you found your desired name. Now, what happens if you can no
            > longer find the site that had your desired name? Would I be able to
            > use my report from the Academy of St. Gabriel? Thanks

            Printouts of a S. Gabriel Report count as the required physical
            proofs. You can find more information about using a S. Gabriel
            report as documentation in a submission at the Academy's home
            page - http://www.s-gabriel.org/

            Specifically, in the FAQ for heralds, there's a section
            "How do I use an Academy report to document a submission to the
            Society for Creative Anachronism College of Arms?"

            -Aryanhwy

            --
            vita sine literis mors est
            http://www.ellipsis.cx/~liana/