The name Charles

  • peachyfaun
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 11, 2006
      Hi, newbie here. My son and my step son both have Charles as a middle
      name, My husbands middle name is Charles, his brother's first name is
      Charles, My grandson, middle name. Father in law, Same thing.
      Grandfather in law, first name, that's right, Charles.

      So what does my husband want to be called in the SCA, you guessed it,
      Charles! Anyone know when if or how it was used? Are there names that
      come before or after Charles in the evolution of names?

      Thanks
      Tiffany for now
    • Coblaith Mhuimhneach
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 12, 2006
        Tiffany wrote:
        > Anyone know when if or how [the name "Charles"] was used? Are there
        > names that come before or after Charles in the evolution of names?

        The Academy of St. Gabriel (which researches historically accurate
        names and devices) has issued reports on the name "Charles" for a few
        people. One states that "Charles" was introduced to England in the
        12th century, but didn't become popular until the 16th
        <http://www.panix.com/~gabriel/public-bin/showfinal.cgi?1394>. Another
        indicates "Charles" is a common French name from the 13th through the
        16th centuries
        <http://www.panix.com/~gabriel/public-bin/showfinal.cgi?1929>. Visit
        the Medieval Names Archive guides for the two countries
        <http://www.s-gabriel.org/names/> to track down specific citations, and
        to make sure you get the spellings right for whichever time he chooses.

        If he's willing to consider cognates, of course, there are additional
        options. The Italians had "Carlo", the Irish "Cerlus" and "Serlus",
        the Spanish "Carlos", the Dutch "Karel" and "Carolus", the Poles and
        Slovaks "Karol", the Romanians "Carol", the Czechs "Karel", etc. They
        all ultimately derive from the Latin name "Carolus", as does "Charles"
        itself.

        Coblaith Mhuimhneach
        Barony of Bryn Gwlad
        Kingdom of Ansteorra
        <mailto:Coblaith@...>
      • Sara L Uckelman
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 13, 2006
          Quoth "peachyfaun":
          > So what does my husband want to be called in the SCA, you guessed it,
          > Charles! Anyone know when if or how it was used? Are there names that
          > come before or after Charles in the evolution of names?

          <Charles> is definitely a fine choice. Is he wedded to this particular
          spelling? If so, then he'll want to focus on English and French, as
          the name was spelled differently in other languages. The name (in
          various forms) was quite popular in France and Germany because of
          the renown of Charles the Great (Charlemagne). It was less common in
          England, where it was introduced by the Normans, so it's appropriate
          only from the 11th century on. The form <Carle> was moderately more
          popular than <Charles> in England. [1] <Charles> is appropriate for
          pretty much all parts of France from at least the 11th century on. [2,3]
          <Charles> was a rather rare name in Scotland before Charles I, but
          it can be found in the very end of our period. [4]

          If he's interested in a different culture, let me know, and I can
          research forms of <Charles> in those languages.

          -Aryanhwy

          --
          [1] Withycombe, _Oxford Dictionary of English Christian Names_ s.n.
          Charles

          [2] "French Names from Paris, 1421, 1423, & 1438"
          http://www.ellipsis.cx/~liana/names/french/paris1423.html

          [3] "Names Found in Commercial Documents from Bordeaux, 1470-1520"
          http://www.ellipsis.cx/~liana/names/french/bordeaux.html

          [4] Black, _Surnames of Scotland_ s.n. Charles

          --
          vita sine literis mors est
          http://www.ellipsis.cx/~liana/
          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 16, 2006
            While we're on the topic of names submissions, I have a quick
            question. I know that you need physical proof (photocopied, etc.) of
            the place you found your desired name. Now, what happens if you can no
            longer find the site that had your desired name? Would I be able to
            use my report from the Academy of St. Gabriel? Thanks
          • Sara L Uckelman
            Message 5 of 5 , Aug 16, 2006
              Quoth "drew_radtke":
              > While we're on the topic of names submissions, I have a quick
              > question. I know that you need physical proof (photocopied, etc.) of
              > the place you found your desired name. Now, what happens if you can no
              > longer find the site that had your desired name? Would I be able to
              > use my report from the Academy of St. Gabriel? Thanks

              Printouts of a S. Gabriel Report count as the required physical
              proofs. You can find more information about using a S. Gabriel
              report as documentation in a submission at the Academy's home
              page - http://www.s-gabriel.org/

              Specifically, in the FAQ for heralds, there's a section
              "How do I use an Academy report to document a submission to the
              Society for Creative Anachronism College of Arms?"

              -Aryanhwy

              --
              vita sine literis mors est
              http://www.ellipsis.cx/~liana/