Re: [SCA Newcomers] Using the fabric you already have...

  • Joan Mielke
    Message 1 of 11 , Aug 6, 2006
      I second Coblaith. Use your stash. Get creative. If you don't
      like the ribbed side of the corduroy, use the other side out!
      Gingham is perfect for making trial garments for fitting. It is
      also perfect for lining fabric, and most medieval garments were
      lined--and they look much better that way too. Or you could try
      dying the gingham (provided it is 100% cotton).

      I read somewhere (probably this list) that this is the Society for
      Creative Anachronism,
      not the Society for Compulsory Authenticity. Today at fighter
      practice/court our hospitaller was wearing polyester satin and I
      discussed with our new baroness how well the weatherstripping inside
      her new coronet worked for making the crown comfortable... Her
      favorite part of her new coronet was that her veil doesn't fly off
      anymore. Personally, I have linen and wool in my stash (both
      purchased for $2/yard on JoAnne clearance)--- But I wouldn't dream
      of telling someone else that they have to go out and spend $14/yard
      for eight yards of linen to make an authentic gown. This is not a
      Laurel competition.

      This is one of my favorite SCA clothing links.
      http://www.forest.gen.nz/Medieval/
      From that web page take a look at the old pictures of early garb the
      Baronness made. Obviously it takes time to get to the point of
      making royalty-ready garb. (A long time.)

      Remember, this is something that we are doing for FUN!

      Jehanne
      (found a name! yea!)