Re: [SCA Newcomers] Names and devices

  • Sara L Uckelman
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 5, 2006
      Quoth "Dianna McCleary":
      > Where can I find ILLUSTRATED exaples to begin working on my device,
      > and additionally are there one or two really good sites for
      > researching names (Scotts/Irish)?

      Try

      The Medieval Heraldry Archive, www.s-gabriel.org/heraldry/
      The Medieval Names Archive, www.s-gabriel.org/names

      -Aryanhwy

      --
      vita sine literis mors est
      http://www.ellipsis.cx/~liana/
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 5, 2006
        Dianna Womack wrote:
        > I just got really lost in the portion of the SCA heraldry website...I
        > don't know a fesswise from a sinister.
        >
        > Where can I find ILLUSTRATED exaples to begin working on my device. . .

        Well, the logical place to start would be with the primer
        <http://sca.org/heraldry/primer/>.

        When you're ready for something a little more detailed, I suggest
        "Heraldry for Scribes", available with illustrations via the West
        Kingdom's Heralds' Handbook <http://heralds.westkingdom.org/Handbook/>
        (section XII, part 2--scroll down to the bottom of the index). You
        might also find the West Kingdom Heraldic Templates
        <http://heralds.westkingdom.org/Templates/index.htm> useful for getting
        a handle on what specific elements should look like.

        > . . .and additionally are there one or two really good sites for
        > researching names (Scotts/Irish)?

        The best place to go for each is the relevant guide in the Medieval
        Names Archive <http://www.s-gabriel.org/names>. It's a good idea to
        read "Choosing a Medieval Name: Hints for Newcomers" (on the same
        site) first; it'll help you avoid the most common newbie mistakes.

        > BTW, I found the most beautiful brass peacock candle base at my local
        > Goodwill, I think I would like to use it in my device...

        I assume you mean a peacock, and not the brass peacock candle base
        itself?

        The peacock was used in period armory, and is certainly acceptable for
        the SCA. It is most commonly portrayed pavonated (facing right, with
        its tail relaxed along the ground)
        <http://bestiary.ca/beasts/beast257.htm> or in its pride (facing the
        viewer, with its tail raised and spread)
        <http://www.heraldicclipart.com/catalog/peacock.html>. Peacock
        feathers and peacock heads are also seen in Society armory without the
        rest of the bird.

        You'll need to work with a herald to put together a device featuring
        one or more peacocks or peacock parts that isn't too similar to devices
        that are already registered. (There are 121 entries in the Ordinary
        and Armorial mentioning peacocks
        <http://oanda.sca.org/cgi-bin/oanda_bp.cgi?p=peacock>.) Your local
        group should have a branch herald; if it's doesn't, let us know where
        in the Knowne World you are
        <http://www.sca.org/geography/welcome.html>, and somebody here might be
        able to help you find a "wild" herald in your area.

        Coblaith Mhuimhneach
        Barony of Bryn Gwlad
        Kingdom of Ansteorra
      • Dianna McCleary
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 6, 2006
          --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, Coblaith Mhuimhneach
          <Coblaith@...> wrote:

          > I assume you mean a peacock, and not the brass peacock candle base
          > itself?

          Yes, the bird not the candle holder, although now that you HAVE to
          ask...I understand the confusion, LOL@self!

          Profuse gratitude for your time and thoughtful (patient) response
          Coblaith Mhuimhneach & -Aryanhwy.

          Dianna