Names and devices

  • Dianna McCleary
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 4, 2006
      Greetings all and sundry,

      I just got really lost in the portion of the SCA heraldry website...I
      don't know a fesswise from a sinister.

      Where can I find ILLUSTRATED exaples to begin working on my device,
      and additionally are there one or two really good sites for
      researching names (Scotts/Irish)?

      BTW, I found the most beautiful brass peacock candle base at my local
      Goodwill, I think I would like to use it in my device...

      Thanks so much m'Lords and m'Ladies

      MKA Dianna Womack
    • Sara L Uckelman
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 5, 2006
        Quoth "Dianna McCleary":
        > Where can I find ILLUSTRATED exaples to begin working on my device,
        > and additionally are there one or two really good sites for
        > researching names (Scotts/Irish)?

        Try

        The Medieval Heraldry Archive, www.s-gabriel.org/heraldry/
        The Medieval Names Archive, www.s-gabriel.org/names

        -Aryanhwy

        --
        vita sine literis mors est
        http://www.ellipsis.cx/~liana/
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 5, 2006
          Dianna Womack wrote:
          > I just got really lost in the portion of the SCA heraldry website...I
          > don't know a fesswise from a sinister.
          >
          > Where can I find ILLUSTRATED exaples to begin working on my device. . .

          Well, the logical place to start would be with the primer
          <http://sca.org/heraldry/primer/>.

          When you're ready for something a little more detailed, I suggest
          "Heraldry for Scribes", available with illustrations via the West
          Kingdom's Heralds' Handbook <http://heralds.westkingdom.org/Handbook/>
          (section XII, part 2--scroll down to the bottom of the index). You
          might also find the West Kingdom Heraldic Templates
          <http://heralds.westkingdom.org/Templates/index.htm> useful for getting
          a handle on what specific elements should look like.

          > . . .and additionally are there one or two really good sites for
          > researching names (Scotts/Irish)?

          The best place to go for each is the relevant guide in the Medieval
          Names Archive <http://www.s-gabriel.org/names>. It's a good idea to
          read "Choosing a Medieval Name: Hints for Newcomers" (on the same
          site) first; it'll help you avoid the most common newbie mistakes.

          > BTW, I found the most beautiful brass peacock candle base at my local
          > Goodwill, I think I would like to use it in my device...

          I assume you mean a peacock, and not the brass peacock candle base
          itself?

          The peacock was used in period armory, and is certainly acceptable for
          the SCA. It is most commonly portrayed pavonated (facing right, with
          its tail relaxed along the ground)
          <http://bestiary.ca/beasts/beast257.htm> or in its pride (facing the
          viewer, with its tail raised and spread)
          <http://www.heraldicclipart.com/catalog/peacock.html>. Peacock
          feathers and peacock heads are also seen in Society armory without the
          rest of the bird.

          You'll need to work with a herald to put together a device featuring
          one or more peacocks or peacock parts that isn't too similar to devices
          that are already registered. (There are 121 entries in the Ordinary
          and Armorial mentioning peacocks
          <http://oanda.sca.org/cgi-bin/oanda_bp.cgi?p=peacock>.) Your local
          group should have a branch herald; if it's doesn't, let us know where
          in the Knowne World you are
          <http://www.sca.org/geography/welcome.html>, and somebody here might be
          able to help you find a "wild" herald in your area.

          Coblaith Mhuimhneach
          Barony of Bryn Gwlad
          Kingdom of Ansteorra
        • Dianna McCleary
          Message 4 of 4 , Aug 6, 2006
            --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, Coblaith Mhuimhneach
            <Coblaith@...> wrote:

            > I assume you mean a peacock, and not the brass peacock candle base
            > itself?

            Yes, the bird not the candle holder, although now that you HAVE to
            ask...I understand the confusion, LOL@self!

            Profuse gratitude for your time and thoughtful (patient) response
            Coblaith Mhuimhneach & -Aryanhwy.

            Dianna