Re: [SCA Newcomers] Siege Weapon Ammunition

  • Milica of Varna
    Message 1 of 10 , Aug 3, 2006
      Hi Isabel,

      Wow! You have a resource very close at hand. Baron Alexander of Brendoken
      designs and builds siege weapons. I'm sure he'd love to have someone to
      discuss designs with. :-) His email is baron@...

      Milica

      On Wednesday 02 August 2006 21:22, Janet wrote:
      > ok, so my boyfriend is trying to find some info
      > (dimensions, suggested materials, etc) for siege
      > weaponry ammunitions. Specifically ballista bolts and
      > also crossbow bolts, but also for trebuchets, etc.
      > We're in the Midrealm (I know it's a silly time to ask
      > since most of the midrealmers are at pennsic). Any
      > info would be greatly appreciated, so I can get him to
      > quit building the tabletop artillery that is over
      > coming my living room and send him to the back yard to
      > work on the real thing....lol.
      > Thanks a ton,
      > Isabel of Falcon's Quarry
      > North Oaken
      > Middle Kingdom

      THL Milica of Varna
      Chronicler, Barony of Brendoken

    • David Roland
      Message 2 of 10 , Aug 3, 2006
        I was inaccurate in my information.

        There is a seige weapons handbook seperate from the marshall's
        handbook.

        It is in .doc format as well as in .pdf

        For .doc :

        http://www.midrealm.org/marshal/handbook/Siege/MK_siege_Engine_HB.doc

        For .pdf :

        http://www.midrealm.org/marshal/handbook/Siege/MK_siege_Engine_HB.pdf

        Ammunition standards are around page 7

        --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, Janet <HI_it_is_me@...> wrote:

        > ok, so my boyfriend is trying to find some info
        > (dimensions, suggested materials, etc) for siege
        > weaponry ammunitions. Specifically ballista bolts and
        > also crossbow bolts, but also for trebuchets, etc.
        > We're in the Midrealm (I know it's a silly time to ask
        > since most of the midrealmers are at pennsic). Any
        > info would be greatly appreciated, so I can get him to
        > quit building the tabletop artillery that is over
        > coming my living room and send him to the back yard to
        > work on the real thing....lol.
        > Thanks a ton,
        > Isabel of Falcon's Quarry
        > North Oaken
        > Middle Kingdom

        > http://mail.yahoo.com

      • Gina
        Message 3 of 10 , Aug 3, 2006
          Hi!!

          In answer to your question, please check out the Society Siege Engine
          Handbook located at:

          http://www.sca.org/officers/marshal/combat/siege/index.html

          As well, you can check out the Combat Archery page at:

          http://www.sca.org/officers/marshal/combat/archery/index.html

          If you have any more questions, please feel free to contact me at this
          address.

          Signora Aurelia da Calabria
          Deputy East Kingdom Chatelaine
          siege marshal
          combat archery marshal in training

          "Mine honor is my life; both grow in one;
          take honor from me and my life is done."
          --William Shakespeare

          --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, Janet <HI_it_is_me@...> wrote:

          > ok, so my boyfriend is trying to find some info
          > (dimensions, suggested materials, etc) for siege
          > weaponry ammunitions. Specifically ballista bolts and
          > also crossbow bolts, but also for trebuchets, etc.
          > We're in the Midrealm (I know it's a silly time to ask
          > since most of the midrealmers are at pennsic). Any
          > info would be greatly appreciated, so I can get him to
          > quit building the tabletop artillery that is over
          > coming my living room and send him to the back yard to
          > work on the real thing....lol.
          > Thanks a ton,
          > Isabel of Falcon's Quarry
          > North Oaken
          > Middle Kingdom

          > http://mail.yahoo.com

        • Sara L Uckelman
          Message 4 of 10 , Aug 3, 2006
            > > weaponry ammunitions. Specifically ballista bolts and
            > > also crossbow bolts, but also for trebuchets, etc.

            Ah, trebuchet ammunition...

            Many years ago now, I spent a good portion of an event making
            ammo for a trebuchet. I'm not sure if requirements and standards
            have changed since then, but if not, what we did worked well:

            Take two rolls of toilet paper, place one on top of the other
            so that the tubes line up. Cover all but the top hole with
            duct tape. Fill with rabbit food, and seal shut. They're
            soft, but they've got some weight behind them, and if they burst
            upon contact, well, they're biodegradable, and you'll have
            happy rabbits.

            -Aryanhwy

            --
            vita sine literis mors est