Siege Weapon Ammunition

  • Janet
    Message 1 of 10 , Aug 2, 2006
      ok, so my boyfriend is trying to find some info
      (dimensions, suggested materials, etc) for siege
      weaponry ammunitions. Specifically ballista bolts and
      also crossbow bolts, but also for trebuchets, etc.
      We're in the Midrealm (I know it's a silly time to ask
      since most of the midrealmers are at pennsic). Any
      info would be greatly appreciated, so I can get him to
      quit building the tabletop artillery that is over
      coming my living room and send him to the back yard to
      work on the real thing....lol.
      Thanks a ton,
      Isabel of Falcon's Quarry
      North Oaken
      Middle Kingdom

      http://mail.yahoo.com
    • Steve Pote
      Message 2 of 10 , Aug 2, 2006
        Plague victims? Pumpkins?
        Here's a fellow using pianos...
        http://asylum.apocalypse.org/pub/u/zonker/fpp/html/trebuchet.html

        and a real link as an apology for being a wise guy...
        http://members.iinet.net.au/~rmine/seemore.html

        I suspect for the trebuchet/catapult the real answer is - whatever was handy and about the right weight. It makes no sense to transport rocks...but variable weight makes for bad aim. I would bet the SCA Archers have good ideas on ballista bolts.
        The sheer force would splinter anything underweight or of inferior material...
        http://www.sca.org/officers/marshal/combat/siege/siege_handbook_update.html

        Janet <HI_it_is_me@...> wrote:
        ok, so my boyfriend is trying to find some info
        (dimensions, suggested materials, etc) for siege
        weaponry ammunitions. Specifically ballista bolts and
        also crossbow bolts, but also for trebuchets, etc.
        We're in the Midrealm (I know it's a silly time to ask
        since most of the midrealmers are at pennsic). Any
        info would be greatly appreciated, so I can get him to
        quit building the tabletop artillery that is over
        coming my living room and send him to the back yard to
        work on the real thing....lol.
        Thanks a ton,
        Isabel of Falcon's Quarry
        North Oaken
        Middle Kingdom

        http://mail.yahoo.com

      • David Roland
        Message 3 of 10 , Aug 3, 2006
          This information can be found in the Marshall's Handbook.

          I don't have the link but if you go to www.midrealm.org click on
          Marshal and then the handbook should have a like there or near there.

          I'm at work at the moment so I don't have the time to go looking.

          Ian the Green
          Province of Tree Girt Sea
          Region of the Midlands
          Middle Kingdom

          --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, Janet <HI_it_is_me@...> wrote:

          > ok, so my boyfriend is trying to find some info
          > (dimensions, suggested materials, etc) for siege
          > weaponry ammunitions. Specifically ballista bolts and
          > also crossbow bolts, but also for trebuchets, etc.
          > We're in the Midrealm (I know it's a silly time to ask
          > since most of the midrealmers are at pennsic). Any
          > info would be greatly appreciated, so I can get him to
          > quit building the tabletop artillery that is over
          > coming my living room and send him to the back yard to
          > work on the real thing....lol.
          > Thanks a ton,
          > Isabel of Falcon's Quarry
          > North Oaken
          > Middle Kingdom

          > http://mail.yahoo.com

        • Milica of Varna
          Message 4 of 10 , Aug 3, 2006
            Hi Isabel,

            Wow! You have a resource very close at hand. Baron Alexander of Brendoken
            designs and builds siege weapons. I'm sure he'd love to have someone to
            discuss designs with. :-) His email is baron@...

            Milica

            On Wednesday 02 August 2006 21:22, Janet wrote:
            > ok, so my boyfriend is trying to find some info
            > (dimensions, suggested materials, etc) for siege
            > weaponry ammunitions. Specifically ballista bolts and
            > also crossbow bolts, but also for trebuchets, etc.
            > We're in the Midrealm (I know it's a silly time to ask
            > since most of the midrealmers are at pennsic). Any
            > info would be greatly appreciated, so I can get him to
            > quit building the tabletop artillery that is over
            > coming my living room and send him to the back yard to
            > work on the real thing....lol.
            > Thanks a ton,
            > Isabel of Falcon's Quarry
            > North Oaken
            > Middle Kingdom

            THL Milica of Varna
            Chronicler, Barony of Brendoken

          • David Roland
            Message 5 of 10 , Aug 3, 2006
              I was inaccurate in my information.

              There is a seige weapons handbook seperate from the marshall's
              handbook.

              It is in .doc format as well as in .pdf

              For .doc :

              http://www.midrealm.org/marshal/handbook/Siege/MK_siege_Engine_HB.doc

              For .pdf :

              http://www.midrealm.org/marshal/handbook/Siege/MK_siege_Engine_HB.pdf

              Ammunition standards are around page 7

              --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, Janet <HI_it_is_me@...> wrote:

              > ok, so my boyfriend is trying to find some info
              > (dimensions, suggested materials, etc) for siege
              > weaponry ammunitions. Specifically ballista bolts and
              > also crossbow bolts, but also for trebuchets, etc.
              > We're in the Midrealm (I know it's a silly time to ask
              > since most of the midrealmers are at pennsic). Any
              > info would be greatly appreciated, so I can get him to
              > quit building the tabletop artillery that is over
              > coming my living room and send him to the back yard to
              > work on the real thing....lol.
              > Thanks a ton,
              > Isabel of Falcon's Quarry
              > North Oaken
              > Middle Kingdom

              > http://mail.yahoo.com

            • Gina
              Message 6 of 10 , Aug 3, 2006
                Hi!!

                In answer to your question, please check out the Society Siege Engine
                Handbook located at:

                http://www.sca.org/officers/marshal/combat/siege/index.html

                As well, you can check out the Combat Archery page at:

                http://www.sca.org/officers/marshal/combat/archery/index.html

                If you have any more questions, please feel free to contact me at this
                address.

                Signora Aurelia da Calabria
                Deputy East Kingdom Chatelaine
                siege marshal
                combat archery marshal in training

                "Mine honor is my life; both grow in one;
                take honor from me and my life is done."
                --William Shakespeare

                --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, Janet <HI_it_is_me@...> wrote:

                > ok, so my boyfriend is trying to find some info
                > (dimensions, suggested materials, etc) for siege
                > weaponry ammunitions. Specifically ballista bolts and
                > also crossbow bolts, but also for trebuchets, etc.
                > We're in the Midrealm (I know it's a silly time to ask
                > since most of the midrealmers are at pennsic). Any
                > info would be greatly appreciated, so I can get him to
                > quit building the tabletop artillery that is over
                > coming my living room and send him to the back yard to
                > work on the real thing....lol.
                > Thanks a ton,
                > Isabel of Falcon's Quarry
                > North Oaken
                > Middle Kingdom

                > http://mail.yahoo.com

              • Sara L Uckelman
                Message 7 of 10 , Aug 3, 2006
                  > > weaponry ammunitions. Specifically ballista bolts and
                  > > also crossbow bolts, but also for trebuchets, etc.

                  Ah, trebuchet ammunition...

                  Many years ago now, I spent a good portion of an event making
                  ammo for a trebuchet. I'm not sure if requirements and standards
                  have changed since then, but if not, what we did worked well:

                  Take two rolls of toilet paper, place one on top of the other
                  so that the tubes line up. Cover all but the top hole with
                  duct tape. Fill with rabbit food, and seal shut. They're
                  soft, but they've got some weight behind them, and if they burst
                  upon contact, well, they're biodegradable, and you'll have
                  happy rabbits.

                  -Aryanhwy

                  --
                  vita sine literis mors est