Re: [SCA Newcomers] Pennsic 35

  • Milica of Varna
    Message 1 of 10 , Aug 1, 2006
      Hi Alaric,

      Pennsic was Justin and my first event on consecutive years. It was wonderful
      and terrifying, even back in the early 1990s. When we helped get a shire
      started in our area, we were the only ones who had attended Pennsic and wrote
      up a little guide for the War. We've revised it a couple of times and people
      have said that it's still useful. You can read it at:
      http://sca.4th.com/node/4634

      Hope it helps some. Have a great time!

      Milica

      On Sunday 30 July 2006 15:36, Joseph Irwin wrote:
      > Well I don't know about the rest of you but this is going to be my
      > first Pennsic. Is anyone else going Pennsic for the first time this
      > year? And If anyone has gone before, What is it like? What should i
      > like forward to and what not? And Hell maybe we are in the same camp
      > grounds, So if you know where your camping, tell me the land #. Like my
      > group is camping is E28.
      >
      > Hope to hear some feed back,
      > Alaric of Surtr's Brood
      >

      > Yahoo! Groups Links

      THL Milica of Varna
      Chronicler, Barony of Brendoken

    • Janet
      Message 2 of 10 , Aug 2, 2006
        ok, so my boyfriend is trying to find some info
        (dimensions, suggested materials, etc) for siege
        weaponry ammunitions. Specifically ballista bolts and
        also crossbow bolts, but also for trebuchets, etc.
        We're in the Midrealm (I know it's a silly time to ask
        since most of the midrealmers are at pennsic). Any
        info would be greatly appreciated, so I can get him to
        quit building the tabletop artillery that is over
        coming my living room and send him to the back yard to
        work on the real thing....lol.
        Thanks a ton,
        Isabel of Falcon's Quarry
        North Oaken
        Middle Kingdom

        http://mail.yahoo.com
      • Steve Pote
        Message 3 of 10 , Aug 2, 2006
          Plague victims? Pumpkins?
          Here's a fellow using pianos...
          http://asylum.apocalypse.org/pub/u/zonker/fpp/html/trebuchet.html

          and a real link as an apology for being a wise guy...
          http://members.iinet.net.au/~rmine/seemore.html

          I suspect for the trebuchet/catapult the real answer is - whatever was handy and about the right weight. It makes no sense to transport rocks...but variable weight makes for bad aim. I would bet the SCA Archers have good ideas on ballista bolts.
          The sheer force would splinter anything underweight or of inferior material...
          http://www.sca.org/officers/marshal/combat/siege/siege_handbook_update.html

          Janet <HI_it_is_me@...> wrote:
          ok, so my boyfriend is trying to find some info
          (dimensions, suggested materials, etc) for siege
          weaponry ammunitions. Specifically ballista bolts and
          also crossbow bolts, but also for trebuchets, etc.
          We're in the Midrealm (I know it's a silly time to ask
          since most of the midrealmers are at pennsic). Any
          info would be greatly appreciated, so I can get him to
          quit building the tabletop artillery that is over
          coming my living room and send him to the back yard to
          work on the real thing....lol.
          Thanks a ton,
          Isabel of Falcon's Quarry
          North Oaken
          Middle Kingdom

          http://mail.yahoo.com

        • David Roland
          Message 4 of 10 , Aug 3, 2006
            This information can be found in the Marshall's Handbook.

            I don't have the link but if you go to www.midrealm.org click on
            Marshal and then the handbook should have a like there or near there.

            I'm at work at the moment so I don't have the time to go looking.

            Ian the Green
            Province of Tree Girt Sea
            Region of the Midlands
            Middle Kingdom

            --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, Janet <HI_it_is_me@...> wrote:

            > ok, so my boyfriend is trying to find some info
            > (dimensions, suggested materials, etc) for siege
            > weaponry ammunitions. Specifically ballista bolts and
            > also crossbow bolts, but also for trebuchets, etc.
            > We're in the Midrealm (I know it's a silly time to ask
            > since most of the midrealmers are at pennsic). Any
            > info would be greatly appreciated, so I can get him to
            > quit building the tabletop artillery that is over
            > coming my living room and send him to the back yard to
            > work on the real thing....lol.
            > Thanks a ton,
            > Isabel of Falcon's Quarry
            > North Oaken
            > Middle Kingdom

            > http://mail.yahoo.com

          • Milica of Varna
            Message 5 of 10 , Aug 3, 2006
              Hi Isabel,

              Wow! You have a resource very close at hand. Baron Alexander of Brendoken
              designs and builds siege weapons. I'm sure he'd love to have someone to
              discuss designs with. :-) His email is baron@...

              Milica

              Message 6 of 10 , Aug 3, 2006
                I was inaccurate in my information.

                There is a seige weapons handbook seperate from the marshall's
                handbook.

                It is in .doc format as well as in .pdf

                For .doc :

                http://www.midrealm.org/marshal/handbook/Siege/MK_siege_Engine_HB.doc

                For .pdf :

                http://www.midrealm.org/marshal/handbook/Siege/MK_siege_Engine_HB.pdf

                Ammunition standards are around page 7

                --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, Janet <HI_it_is_me@...> wrote:

                > ok, so my boyfriend is trying to find some info
                > (dimensions, suggested materials, etc) for siege
                > weaponry ammunitions. Specifically ballista bolts and
                > also crossbow bolts, but also for trebuchets, etc.
                > We're in the Midrealm (I know it's a silly time to ask
                > since most of the midrealmers are at pennsic). Any
                > info would be greatly appreciated, so I can get him to
                > quit building the tabletop artillery that is over
                > coming my living room and send him to the back yard to
                > work on the real thing....lol.
                > Thanks a ton,
                > Isabel of Falcon's Quarry
                > North Oaken
                > Middle Kingdom

                > http://mail.yahoo.com

              • Gina
                Message 7 of 10 , Aug 3, 2006
                  Hi!!

                  In answer to your question, please check out the Society Siege Engine
                  Handbook located at:

                  http://www.sca.org/officers/marshal/combat/siege/index.html

                  As well, you can check out the Combat Archery page at:

                  http://www.sca.org/officers/marshal/combat/archery/index.html

                  If you have any more questions, please feel free to contact me at this
                  address.

                  Signora Aurelia da Calabria
                  Deputy East Kingdom Chatelaine
                  siege marshal
                  combat archery marshal in training

                  "Mine honor is my life; both grow in one;
                  take honor from me and my life is done."
                  --William Shakespeare

                  --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, Janet <HI_it_is_me@...> wrote:

                  > ok, so my boyfriend is trying to find some info
                  > (dimensions, suggested materials, etc) for siege
                  > weaponry ammunitions. Specifically ballista bolts and
                  > also crossbow bolts, but also for trebuchets, etc.
                  > We're in the Midrealm (I know it's a silly time to ask
                  > since most of the midrealmers are at pennsic). Any
                  > info would be greatly appreciated, so I can get him to
                  > quit building the tabletop artillery that is over
                  > coming my living room and send him to the back yard to
                  > work on the real thing....lol.
                  > Thanks a ton,
                  > Isabel of Falcon's Quarry
                  > North Oaken
                  > Middle Kingdom

                  > http://mail.yahoo.com

                • Sara L Uckelman
                  Message 8 of 10 , Aug 3, 2006
                    > > weaponry ammunitions. Specifically ballista bolts and
                    > > also crossbow bolts, but also for trebuchets, etc.

                    Ah, trebuchet ammunition...

                    Many years ago now, I spent a good portion of an event making
                    ammo for a trebuchet. I'm not sure if requirements and standards
                    have changed since then, but if not, what we did worked well:

                    Take two rolls of toilet paper, place one on top of the other
                    so that the tubes line up. Cover all but the top hole with
                    duct tape. Fill with rabbit food, and seal shut. They're
                    soft, but they've got some weight behind them, and if they burst
                    upon contact, well, they're biodegradable, and you'll have
                    happy rabbits.

                    -Aryanhwy

                    --
                    vita sine literis mors est