RE: [SCA Newcomers] Pennsic 35

  • Tracey Davis
    Message 1 of 10 , Jul 30, 2006
      Greetings,

      This will be my first Pennsic. My three kids and I are really looking
      forward to it. We got a new Panther Pavillion, stencilled it, and I am busy
      making "hot weather" garb. Looking forward to all the shopping, classes,
      and archery. And watching all the poor warriors fighting in all that armor!
      I plan to camp with the Kingdom of Northshield. I can't remember the
      number exactly. It was something-19. Near a parking lot.

      I wonder if there will be a "Pennsic Newbies" get together. Shall we host
      one?!

      Sadira

      >From: "Joseph Irwin" <froggi399@...>
      >To: scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com
      >Subject: [SCA Newcomers] Pennsic 35
      >Date: Sun, 30 Jul 2006 19:36:12 -0000
      >
      >Well I don't know about the rest of you but this is going to be my
      >first Pennsic. Is anyone else going Pennsic for the first time this
      >year? And If anyone has gone before, What is it like? What should i
      >like forward to and what not? And Hell maybe we are in the same camp
      >grounds, So if you know where your camping, tell me the land #. Like my
      >group is camping is E28.
      >
      >Hope to hear some feed back,
      >Alaric of Surtr's Brood

    • Milica of Varna
      Message 2 of 10 , Aug 1, 2006
        Hi Alaric,

        Pennsic was Justin and my first event on consecutive years. It was wonderful
        and terrifying, even back in the early 1990s. When we helped get a shire
        started in our area, we were the only ones who had attended Pennsic and wrote
        up a little guide for the War. We've revised it a couple of times and people
        have said that it's still useful. You can read it at:
        http://sca.4th.com/node/4634

        Hope it helps some. Have a great time!

        Milica

        On Sunday 30 July 2006 15:36, Joseph Irwin wrote:
        > Well I don't know about the rest of you but this is going to be my
        > first Pennsic. Is anyone else going Pennsic for the first time this
        > year? And If anyone has gone before, What is it like? What should i
        > like forward to and what not? And Hell maybe we are in the same camp
        > grounds, So if you know where your camping, tell me the land #. Like my
        > group is camping is E28.
        >
        > Hope to hear some feed back,
        > Alaric of Surtr's Brood
        >

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

        THL Milica of Varna
        Chronicler, Barony of Brendoken

      • Janet
        Message 3 of 10 , Aug 2, 2006
          ok, so my boyfriend is trying to find some info
          (dimensions, suggested materials, etc) for siege
          weaponry ammunitions. Specifically ballista bolts and
          also crossbow bolts, but also for trebuchets, etc.
          We're in the Midrealm (I know it's a silly time to ask
          since most of the midrealmers are at pennsic). Any
          info would be greatly appreciated, so I can get him to
          quit building the tabletop artillery that is over
          coming my living room and send him to the back yard to
          work on the real thing....lol.
          Thanks a ton,
          Isabel of Falcon's Quarry
          North Oaken
          Middle Kingdom

          http://mail.yahoo.com
        • Steve Pote
          Message 4 of 10 , Aug 2, 2006
            Plague victims? Pumpkins?
            Here's a fellow using pianos...
            http://asylum.apocalypse.org/pub/u/zonker/fpp/html/trebuchet.html

            and a real link as an apology for being a wise guy...
            http://members.iinet.net.au/~rmine/seemore.html

            I suspect for the trebuchet/catapult the real answer is - whatever was handy and about the right weight. It makes no sense to transport rocks...but variable weight makes for bad aim. I would bet the SCA Archers have good ideas on ballista bolts.
            The sheer force would splinter anything underweight or of inferior material...
            http://www.sca.org/officers/marshal/combat/siege/siege_handbook_update.html

            Janet <HI_it_is_me@...> wrote:
            ok, so my boyfriend is trying to find some info
            (dimensions, suggested materials, etc) for siege
            weaponry ammunitions. Specifically ballista bolts and
            also crossbow bolts, but also for trebuchets, etc.
            We're in the Midrealm (I know it's a silly time to ask
            since most of the midrealmers are at pennsic). Any
            info would be greatly appreciated, so I can get him to
            quit building the tabletop artillery that is over
            coming my living room and send him to the back yard to
            work on the real thing....lol.
            Thanks a ton,
            Isabel of Falcon's Quarry
            North Oaken
            Middle Kingdom

            http://mail.yahoo.com

          • David Roland
            Message 5 of 10 , Aug 3, 2006
              This information can be found in the Marshall's Handbook.

              I don't have the link but if you go to www.midrealm.org click on
              Marshal and then the handbook should have a like there or near there.

              I'm at work at the moment so I don't have the time to go looking.

              Ian the Green
              Province of Tree Girt Sea
              Region of the Midlands
              Middle Kingdom

              --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, Janet <HI_it_is_me@...> wrote:

              > ok, so my boyfriend is trying to find some info
              > (dimensions, suggested materials, etc) for siege
              > weaponry ammunitions. Specifically ballista bolts and
              > also crossbow bolts, but also for trebuchets, etc.
              > We're in the Midrealm (I know it's a silly time to ask
              > since most of the midrealmers are at pennsic). Any
              > info would be greatly appreciated, so I can get him to
              > quit building the tabletop artillery that is over
              > coming my living room and send him to the back yard to
              > work on the real thing....lol.
              > Thanks a ton,
              > Isabel of Falcon's Quarry
              > North Oaken
              > Middle Kingdom

              > http://mail.yahoo.com

            • Milica of Varna
              Message 6 of 10 , Aug 3, 2006
                Hi Isabel,

                Wow! You have a resource very close at hand. Baron Alexander of Brendoken
                designs and builds siege weapons. I'm sure he'd love to have someone to
                discuss designs with. :-) His email is baron@...

                Milica

                Message 7 of 10 , Aug 3, 2006
                  I was inaccurate in my information.

                  There is a seige weapons handbook seperate from the marshall's
                  handbook.

                  It is in .doc format as well as in .pdf

                  For .doc :

                  http://www.midrealm.org/marshal/handbook/Siege/MK_siege_Engine_HB.doc

                  For .pdf :

                  http://www.midrealm.org/marshal/handbook/Siege/MK_siege_Engine_HB.pdf

                  Ammunition standards are around page 7

                  --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, Janet <HI_it_is_me@...> wrote:

                  > ok, so my boyfriend is trying to find some info
                  > (dimensions, suggested materials, etc) for siege
                  > weaponry ammunitions. Specifically ballista bolts and
                  > also crossbow bolts, but also for trebuchets, etc.
                  > We're in the Midrealm (I know it's a silly time to ask
                  > since most of the midrealmers are at pennsic). Any
                  > info would be greatly appreciated, so I can get him to
                  > quit building the tabletop artillery that is over
                  > coming my living room and send him to the back yard to
                  > work on the real thing....lol.
                  > Thanks a ton,
                  > Isabel of Falcon's Quarry
                  > North Oaken
                  > Middle Kingdom

                  > http://mail.yahoo.com

                • Gina
                  Message 8 of 10 , Aug 3, 2006
                    Hi!!

                    In answer to your question, please check out the Society Siege Engine
                    Handbook located at:

                    http://www.sca.org/officers/marshal/combat/siege/index.html

                    As well, you can check out the Combat Archery page at:

                    http://www.sca.org/officers/marshal/combat/archery/index.html

                    If you have any more questions, please feel free to contact me at this
                    address.

                    Signora Aurelia da Calabria
                    Deputy East Kingdom Chatelaine
                    siege marshal
                    combat archery marshal in training

                    "Mine honor is my life; both grow in one;
                    take honor from me and my life is done."
                    --William Shakespeare

                    --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, Janet <HI_it_is_me@...> wrote:

                    > ok, so my boyfriend is trying to find some info
                    > (dimensions, suggested materials, etc) for siege
                    > weaponry ammunitions. Specifically ballista bolts and
                    > also crossbow bolts, but also for trebuchets, etc.
                    > We're in the Midrealm (I know it's a silly time to ask
                    > since most of the midrealmers are at pennsic). Any
                    > info would be greatly appreciated, so I can get him to
                    > quit building the tabletop artillery that is over
                    > coming my living room and send him to the back yard to
                    > work on the real thing....lol.
                    > Thanks a ton,
                    > Isabel of Falcon's Quarry
                    > North Oaken
                    > Middle Kingdom

                    > http://mail.yahoo.com

                  • Sara L Uckelman
                    Message 9 of 10 , Aug 3, 2006
                      > > weaponry ammunitions. Specifically ballista bolts and
                      > > also crossbow bolts, but also for trebuchets, etc.

                      Ah, trebuchet ammunition...

                      Many years ago now, I spent a good portion of an event making
                      ammo for a trebuchet. I'm not sure if requirements and standards
                      have changed since then, but if not, what we did worked well:

                      Take two rolls of toilet paper, place one on top of the other
                      so that the tubes line up. Cover all but the top hole with
                      duct tape. Fill with rabbit food, and seal shut. They're
                      soft, but they've got some weight behind them, and if they burst
                      upon contact, well, they're biodegradable, and you'll have
                      happy rabbits.

                      -Aryanhwy

                      --
                      vita sine literis mors est