Pennsic 35

  • Joseph Irwin
    Message 1 of 10 , Jul 30, 2006
      Well I don't know about the rest of you but this is going to be my
      first Pennsic. Is anyone else going Pennsic for the first time this
      year? And If anyone has gone before, What is it like? What should i
      like forward to and what not? And Hell maybe we are in the same camp
      grounds, So if you know where your camping, tell me the land #. Like my
      group is camping is E28.

      Hope to hear some feed back,
      Alaric of Surtr's Brood
    • Tracey Davis
      Message 2 of 10 , Jul 30, 2006
        Greetings,

        This will be my first Pennsic. My three kids and I are really looking
        forward to it. We got a new Panther Pavillion, stencilled it, and I am busy
        making "hot weather" garb. Looking forward to all the shopping, classes,
        and archery. And watching all the poor warriors fighting in all that armor!
        I plan to camp with the Kingdom of Northshield. I can't remember the
        number exactly. It was something-19. Near a parking lot.

        I wonder if there will be a "Pennsic Newbies" get together. Shall we host
        one?!

        Sadira

        >From: "Joseph Irwin" <froggi399@...>
        >To: scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com
        >Subject: [SCA Newcomers] Pennsic 35
        >Date: Sun, 30 Jul 2006 19:36:12 -0000
        >
        >Well I don't know about the rest of you but this is going to be my
        >first Pennsic. Is anyone else going Pennsic for the first time this
        >year? And If anyone has gone before, What is it like? What should i
        >like forward to and what not? And Hell maybe we are in the same camp
        >grounds, So if you know where your camping, tell me the land #. Like my
        >group is camping is E28.
        >
        >Hope to hear some feed back,
        >Alaric of Surtr's Brood

      • Milica of Varna
        Message 3 of 10 , Aug 1, 2006
          Hi Alaric,

          Pennsic was Justin and my first event on consecutive years. It was wonderful
          and terrifying, even back in the early 1990s. When we helped get a shire
          started in our area, we were the only ones who had attended Pennsic and wrote
          up a little guide for the War. We've revised it a couple of times and people
          have said that it's still useful. You can read it at:
          http://sca.4th.com/node/4634

          Hope it helps some. Have a great time!

          Milica

          On Sunday 30 July 2006 15:36, Joseph Irwin wrote:
          > Well I don't know about the rest of you but this is going to be my
          > first Pennsic. Is anyone else going Pennsic for the first time this
          > year? And If anyone has gone before, What is it like? What should i
          > like forward to and what not? And Hell maybe we are in the same camp
          > grounds, So if you know where your camping, tell me the land #. Like my
          > group is camping is E28.
          >
          > Hope to hear some feed back,
          > Alaric of Surtr's Brood
          >

          > Yahoo! Groups Links

          THL Milica of Varna
          Chronicler, Barony of Brendoken

        • Janet
          Message 4 of 10 , Aug 2, 2006
            ok, so my boyfriend is trying to find some info
            (dimensions, suggested materials, etc) for siege
            weaponry ammunitions. Specifically ballista bolts and
            also crossbow bolts, but also for trebuchets, etc.
            We're in the Midrealm (I know it's a silly time to ask
            since most of the midrealmers are at pennsic). Any
            info would be greatly appreciated, so I can get him to
            quit building the tabletop artillery that is over
            coming my living room and send him to the back yard to
            work on the real thing....lol.
            Thanks a ton,
            Isabel of Falcon's Quarry
            North Oaken
            Middle Kingdom

            http://mail.yahoo.com
          • Steve Pote
            Message 5 of 10 , Aug 2, 2006
              Plague victims? Pumpkins?
              Here's a fellow using pianos...
              http://asylum.apocalypse.org/pub/u/zonker/fpp/html/trebuchet.html

              and a real link as an apology for being a wise guy...
              http://members.iinet.net.au/~rmine/seemore.html

              I suspect for the trebuchet/catapult the real answer is - whatever was handy and about the right weight. It makes no sense to transport rocks...but variable weight makes for bad aim. I would bet the SCA Archers have good ideas on ballista bolts.
              The sheer force would splinter anything underweight or of inferior material...
              http://www.sca.org/officers/marshal/combat/siege/siege_handbook_update.html

              Janet <HI_it_is_me@...> wrote:
              ok, so my boyfriend is trying to find some info
              (dimensions, suggested materials, etc) for siege
              weaponry ammunitions. Specifically ballista bolts and
              also crossbow bolts, but also for trebuchets, etc.
              We're in the Midrealm (I know it's a silly time to ask
              since most of the midrealmers are at pennsic). Any
              info would be greatly appreciated, so I can get him to
              quit building the tabletop artillery that is over
              coming my living room and send him to the back yard to
              work on the real thing....lol.
              Thanks a ton,
              Isabel of Falcon's Quarry
              North Oaken
              Middle Kingdom

              http://mail.yahoo.com

            • David Roland
              Message 6 of 10 , Aug 3, 2006
                This information can be found in the Marshall's Handbook.

                I don't have the link but if you go to www.midrealm.org click on
                Marshal and then the handbook should have a like there or near there.

                I'm at work at the moment so I don't have the time to go looking.

                Ian the Green
                Province of Tree Girt Sea
                Region of the Midlands
                Middle Kingdom

                --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, Janet <HI_it_is_me@...> wrote:

                > ok, so my boyfriend is trying to find some info
                > (dimensions, suggested materials, etc) for siege
                > weaponry ammunitions. Specifically ballista bolts and
                > also crossbow bolts, but also for trebuchets, etc.
                > We're in the Midrealm (I know it's a silly time to ask
                > since most of the midrealmers are at pennsic). Any
                > info would be greatly appreciated, so I can get him to
                > quit building the tabletop artillery that is over
                > coming my living room and send him to the back yard to
                > work on the real thing....lol.
                > Thanks a ton,
                > Isabel of Falcon's Quarry
                > North Oaken
                > Middle Kingdom

                > http://mail.yahoo.com

              • Milica of Varna
                Message 7 of 10 , Aug 3, 2006
                  Hi Isabel,

                  Wow! You have a resource very close at hand. Baron Alexander of Brendoken
                  designs and builds siege weapons. I'm sure he'd love to have someone to
                  discuss designs with. :-) His email is baron@...

                  Milica

                  Message 8 of 10 , Aug 3, 2006
                    I was inaccurate in my information.

                    There is a seige weapons handbook seperate from the marshall's
                    handbook.

                    It is in .doc format as well as in .pdf

                    For .doc :

                    http://www.midrealm.org/marshal/handbook/Siege/MK_siege_Engine_HB.doc

                    For .pdf :

                    http://www.midrealm.org/marshal/handbook/Siege/MK_siege_Engine_HB.pdf

                    Ammunition standards are around page 7

                    --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, Janet <HI_it_is_me@...> wrote:

                    > ok, so my boyfriend is trying to find some info
                    > (dimensions, suggested materials, etc) for siege
                    > weaponry ammunitions. Specifically ballista bolts and
                    > also crossbow bolts, but also for trebuchets, etc.
                    > We're in the Midrealm (I know it's a silly time to ask
                    > since most of the midrealmers are at pennsic). Any
                    > info would be greatly appreciated, so I can get him to
                    > quit building the tabletop artillery that is over
                    > coming my living room and send him to the back yard to
                    > work on the real thing....lol.
                    > Thanks a ton,
                    > Isabel of Falcon's Quarry
                    > North Oaken
                    > Middle Kingdom

                    > http://mail.yahoo.com

                  • Gina
                    Message 9 of 10 , Aug 3, 2006
                      Hi!!

                      In answer to your question, please check out the Society Siege Engine
                      Handbook located at:

                      http://www.sca.org/officers/marshal/combat/siege/index.html

                      As well, you can check out the Combat Archery page at:

                      http://www.sca.org/officers/marshal/combat/archery/index.html

                      If you have any more questions, please feel free to contact me at this
                      address.

                      Signora Aurelia da Calabria
                      Deputy East Kingdom Chatelaine
                      siege marshal
                      combat archery marshal in training

                      "Mine honor is my life; both grow in one;
                      take honor from me and my life is done."
                      --William Shakespeare

                      --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, Janet <HI_it_is_me@...> wrote:

                      > ok, so my boyfriend is trying to find some info
                      > (dimensions, suggested materials, etc) for siege
                      > weaponry ammunitions. Specifically ballista bolts and
                      > also crossbow bolts, but also for trebuchets, etc.
                      > We're in the Midrealm (I know it's a silly time to ask
                      > since most of the midrealmers are at pennsic). Any
                      > info would be greatly appreciated, so I can get him to
                      > quit building the tabletop artillery that is over
                      > coming my living room and send him to the back yard to
                      > work on the real thing....lol.
                      > Thanks a ton,
                      > Isabel of Falcon's Quarry
                      > North Oaken
                      > Middle Kingdom

                      > http://mail.yahoo.com

                    • Sara L Uckelman
                      Message 10 of 10 , Aug 3, 2006
                        > > weaponry ammunitions. Specifically ballista bolts and
                        > > also crossbow bolts, but also for trebuchets, etc.

                        Ah, trebuchet ammunition...

                        Many years ago now, I spent a good portion of an event making
                        ammo for a trebuchet. I'm not sure if requirements and standards
                        have changed since then, but if not, what we did worked well:

                        Take two rolls of toilet paper, place one on top of the other
                        so that the tubes line up. Cover all but the top hole with
                        duct tape. Fill with rabbit food, and seal shut. They're
                        soft, but they've got some weight behind them, and if they burst
                        upon contact, well, they're biodegradable, and you'll have
                        happy rabbits.

                        -Aryanhwy

                        --
                        vita sine literis mors est