business question

  • Brian
    Message 1 of 9 , Jul 15, 2006
      hi folks, thanks for letting me in. i appreciate it. i have a couple of
      questions. hmmm well first off the small city of yuma arizona is going
      to be having its first sca event in this coming jan. or feb.. I am
      going to be setting up a booth and selling my glass engraving. now here
      is the thing. what would sell well and what kind of prices should i
      set? i have so many fantasy designs its not funny, from dragons and
      wizards to unicorns and pheonixs. i can do celtic crosses and
      pentegrams in my sleep. I am thinking that it would not be period to
      have my sandblaster setup in the booth with me, so i guess i will just
      bring a large amount of my glass work with me but still what should I
      bring? this will be my second time working a booth and the first time
      was not an sca event but it still was a flop. also i am thinking that i
      will be offering engraved ceramic tankards as well, i dont have a good
      supply of them so would it be okay to set up some as a display and take
      orders? also how period are credit cards? should i just take cash? i
      could take checks. i just dont know. please help me. thanks for your
      time.
    • Janet
      Message 2 of 9 , Jul 16, 2006
        Ok, I need some help from all you heralds out there.
        My boyfriend has decided to begin working on an SCA
        name. He has informed me that he wants to use Foquette
        (or something along those lines) as a surname because
        someone traced his mundane last name (Fuqua) to France
        sometime in the 1500's and it was spelled something
        like that (of course he never got documentation
        because he didn't even know about the SCA at the
        time). I have found two famous Fouquet's but it's my
        understanding that you can't use the fact that someone
        famous has the name as documentation. I looked at st.
        gabriel's a bit, but didn't see anything like I'm
        looking for. Can anyone help me with places to look
        for finding documentation on some form of this name
        (I'm pretty sure he'd accept some other spelling if
        it's similiar to Foquette. Thanks for your help.
        Isabel of Falcon's Quarry

        http://mail.yahoo.com
      • Sara L Uckelman
        Message 3 of 9 , Jul 16, 2006
          Quoth Janet:
          > Ok, I need some help from all you heralds out there.
          > My boyfriend has decided to begin working on an SCA
          > name. He has informed me that he wants to use Foquette
          > (or something along those lines) as a surname because
          > someone traced his mundane last name (Fuqua) to France
          > sometime in the 1500's and it was spelled something
          > like that (of course he never got documentation
          > because he didn't even know about the SCA at the
          > time). I have found two famous Fouquet's but it's my
          > understanding that you can't use the fact that someone
          > famous has the name as documentation.

          Well, it depends on what of source you've found the name
          in. A modern history book, for example, wouldn't in general
          work as documentation. This is because modern history texts
          tend to modernize the spellings of names of people (think
          Joan of Arc, who probably actually signed her name Jehanne
          d'Arc). If you've found a period document with a reference
          to that famous person, then that's in general going to be
          excellent documentation.

          > looking for. Can anyone help me with places to look
          > for finding documentation on some form of this name
          > (I'm pretty sure he'd accept some other spelling if
          > it's similiar to Foquette. Thanks for your help.

          I haven't been able to find <Foquette>, but I did find an
          example of <Fouquet>, recorded in Senlis in 1565. [1]

          Hope this helps!

          -Aryanhwy

          [1] "Late Period French Feminine Names" (in the "surnames"
          section)
          http://www.ellipsis.cx/~liana/names/french/latefrench.html
          --
          vita sine literis mors est
          http://www.ellipsis.cx/~liana/
          Message 4 of 9 , Jul 16, 2006
            Greetings from a former Arizonan who's back for the summer. I haven't had
            much merchanting experience, but I think I can help with some of your
            questions. First of all, don't worry about credit cards and such being
            period; business-related stuff is an exception. When I go to events, I
            keep my card in my Medieval pouch and use it when I shop. All forms of
            payment are fine at an event. Perhaps you might want to bring your
            sandblister if you would like to demonstrate your craft. Taking orders
            shouldn't be a problem, and bring whatever you like as long as it fits.
            :) Perhaps having pictures of all of the designs with you will be helpful
            to customers and show them what you can do for them. When/where is this
            fair? Maybe I'll be able to stop by. :) I hope this helps.

            Pax Christi,
            Lady Cecilia de Cambrige

            > hi folks, thanks for letting me in. i appreciate it. i have a couple of
            > questions. hmmm well first off the small city of yuma arizona is going
            > to be having its first sca event in this coming jan. or feb.. I am
            > going to be setting up a booth and selling my glass engraving. now here
            > is the thing. what would sell well and what kind of prices should i
            > set? i have so many fantasy designs its not funny, from dragons and
            > wizards to unicorns and pheonixs. i can do celtic crosses and
            > pentegrams in my sleep. I am thinking that it would not be period to
            > have my sandblaster setup in the booth with me, so i guess i will just
            > bring a large amount of my glass work with me but still what should I
            > bring? this will be my second time working a booth and the first time
            > was not an sca event but it still was a flop. also i am thinking that i
            > will be offering engraved ceramic tankards as well, i dont have a good
            > supply of them so would it be okay to set up some as a display and take
            > orders? also how period are credit cards? should i just take cash? i
            > could take checks. i just dont know. please help me. thanks for your
            > time.

            Pax Christi,
            Sydney
          • Kristine Elliott
            Message 5 of 9 , Jul 17, 2006
              There are two Yahoo Groups for sca merchants. I think one is sca-merchants
              and the other sca_merchants. Those are the folks who might be able to give
              you the best information.

              Scolastica

              --
              http://www.geocities.com/souriete/

              If you can't get rid of them ugly old skeletons in the closet, at least
              teach
              'em how to dance funny. Billy C. Wirtz

            • Janet
              Message 6 of 9 , Jul 18, 2006
                Thanks a bunch! He said he'd accept that spelling, so
                he now has half a name :)

                On to my next question...
                I have been using Isabel as my given name and was
                still undecided on a surname. There is some
                consideration of using the Fouquet surname for me also
                (apparently). It was dated to 1565 Senlis (France, I'm
                assuming?). I have found Isabel somewhere in the
                1499-1610 range in Rouen (st gabriel's 16th cent
                norman names) or Isabelle 1547 and 1575 various cities
                in france (I believe the same site as Fouquet came
                from) would either of these two options of given name
                date/place close enough to the surname to be approved?
                I know they have to be from the same time/place, but
                I'm not sure of the range of years to be considered
                "the same."
                Sorry for all these questions, but my shire is
                currently without herald.
                Thanks for all the help,
                Isabel
                Falcon's Quarry
                Middle Kingdom

                --- Sara L Uckelman <liana@...> wrote:
                > Quoth Janet:
                Can anyone help me with places to
                > look
                > > for finding documentation on some form of this
                > name
                > > (I'm pretty sure he'd accept some other spelling
                > if
                > > it's similiar to Foquette. Thanks for your help.
                >
                > I haven't been able to find <Foquette>, but I did
                > find an
                > example of <Fouquet>, recorded in Senlis in 1565.
                > [1]
                >
                > Hope this helps!
                >
                > -Aryanhwy
                >

                > [1] "Late Period French Feminine Names" (in the
                > "surnames"
                > section)

                http://www.ellipsis.cx/~liana/names/french/latefrench.html

                > --
                > vita sine literis mors est
                > http://www.ellipsis.cx/~liana/

                http://mail.yahoo.com
              • Signora Beatrice
                Message 7 of 9 , Jul 18, 2006
                  The general rule of thumb for heraldic documentation is 200-300 years is
                  "close enough". If you found your first name in 1499 and the surname in
                  1565, that's a short enough time for the person to still be living, or for
                  them to simply have had children.

                  http://mail.yahoo.com
                • Sara L Uckelman
                  Message 8 of 9 , Jul 19, 2006
                    Quoth Janet:
                    > I have been using Isabel as my given name and was
                    > still undecided on a surname. There is some
                    > consideration of using the Fouquet surname for me also
                    > (apparently). It was dated to 1565 Senlis (France, I'm
                    > assuming?).

                    Yup.

                    > I have found Isabel somewhere in the
                    > 1499-1610 range in Rouen (st gabriel's 16th cent
                    > norman names) or Isabelle 1547 and 1575 various cities
                    > in france (I believe the same site as Fouquet came
                    > from)

                    The cite which has <Fouquet> has <Isabelle> 22 times
                    between 1408 and 1619.

                    > would either of these two options of given name
                    > date/place close enough to the surname to be approved?

                    Definitely.

                    -Aryanhwy

                    --
                    vita sine literis mors est
                    http://www.ellipsis.cx/~liana/
                    Message 9 of 9 , Jul 19, 2006
                      > > would either of these two options of given name
                      > > date/place close enough to the surname to be approved?

                      May I just state how pleased I am to see this thread?
                      It is truly wonderful to see people looking for real
                      names that might have been used by real people, instead
                      of being enamored ahead of time of some fantasy concoction
                      like "Rhiannon Hippocrates of the Unicorn Ford - a 14th
                      Century Irish Pagan", and spending a year or more trying to
                      justify that before consulting a Herald on something
                      time/place appropriate.

                      Just wanted to say, "Bravo"

                      Capt Elias Gedney