Re: A question for Newcomers! And others as well

  • jane doe
    Message 1 of 11 , Jul 11, 2006
      What advise would you give them to not do? Well at l my first event I volunteered, which was great because I got to meet everyone. My favorite was water bearing and that gave me the fighter itch. ( no it is not something you need cream for, LOL) ......but I digress. What they should not do is hit the Prince. I am not kidding.... my first event I was having so much fun watching the fighters that I had one standing next to me, I back handed him accross the chest with a nice solid thunk and said, "I am having so much fun I could just jump up and down a squeel!". The fighter laughed and said, "that is what it is all about, having fun." He then nodded... went over to the throne... took off his helmet...put on his pointy hat... and sat down. I almost fell over. I had slapped the Prince! So I totally recommend not doing that. He has been such a good sport about the whole thing. Not once has he ever mentioned it during fight practice.

    • drew_radtke
      Message 2 of 11 , Jul 11, 2006
        "What advise would you give them to not do?"

        Ok, so, my first event (Sapphire Joust 06, for any of you Atlantians
        in the peanut gallery, I was wearing a loaned tunic, white undershirt,
        and a pair of blue jeans. I was standing next to the list, just behind
        the Marshall in Charge, as I later found out. He turned to me and
        said "Is this your first event, milord?" (The jeans gave me away). The
        conversation went roughly as follows:
        Me: "Yessir"
        Marshall: "Dont call me sir, please. Anyways, do you know how to be a
        waterbearer?"
        Me: "Looks easy enough, sir....sorry."
        Marshall: "Milord. Go over to the Waterbearing tent as ask if you can
        help out"
        Me: "Yessir...milord"

        Newcomers, unless you are out to royally (no pun intended) tick people
        off....dont call everyone 'sir'.
      • Heather Noon
        Message 3 of 11 , Jul 11, 2006
          Hello there :)

          I'm also from Atlantia, and Sapphire was also my first event :)

          I was one of the ones hiding in the food pavilion if you ever got back there to get lunch :)

          Where do you live? I'm in the Shire of Isenfir :) We are in the mountains where Charlottesville and Waynesboro are in VA.

          Nice to meet another newbie :)

          Heather Noon

          Message 4 of 11 , Jul 11, 2006
            thanks for the heads up!!! can ladys be water girls?

            drew_radtke <t800rad@...> wrote:
            "What advise would you give them to not do?"

            Ok, so, my first event (Sapphire Joust 06, for any of you Atlantians
            in the peanut gallery, I was wearing a loaned tunic, white undershirt,
            and a pair of blue jeans. I was standing next to the list, just behind
            the Marshall in Charge, as I later found out. He turned to me and
            said "Is this your first event, milord?" (The jeans gave me away). The
            conversation went roughly as follows:
            Me: "Yessir"
            Marshall: "Dont call me sir, please. Anyways, do you know how to be a
            waterbearer?"
            Me: "Looks easy enough, sir....sorry."
            Marshall: "Milord. Go over to the Waterbearing tent as ask if you can
            help out"
            Me: "Yessir...milord"

            Newcomers, unless you are out to royally (no pun intended) tick people
            off....dont call everyone 'sir'.

          • Giudo di Niccolo Brunelleschi
            Message 5 of 11 , Jul 12, 2006
              Anyone can be a waterbearer...with some exceptions:

              I know Calontir does not allow anyone under a certain age (the number
              escapes me at that moment) to be ON the battlefield after a hold is called
              to carry water, but they can waterbear on the sidelines with parental or
              authorized adult supervision.

              Additionally, I believe the only other real requirement is that anyone
              waterbearing MUST wear closed-toe shoes of some variety. [[So no Roman
              sandals...]] The theory is that if someone drops a gauntlet on your foot,
              your foot won't get AS damaged as if you were wearing sandals or flip-flops.
              [[Not that it won't hurt...'cause it will. Gauntlets falling on feet always
              hurt....]]

              Until the next time,
              Signore Giudo di Niccolo Brunelleschi
              Shire of Deodar, Kingdom of Calontir

              On 7/11/06, christina wagener <sweetbutalitlsassy@...> wrote:

              > thanks for the heads up!!! can ladys be water girls?

            • Susan B. Farmer
              Message 6 of 11 , Jul 12, 2006
                Quoting christina wagener <sweetbutalitlsassy@...>:

                > thanks for the heads up!!! can ladys be water girls?

                Absolutely! To my knowledge, there is *nothing* in the SCA that's
                restricted to one gender or the other. The best example of that
                happened in Ansteorra. Duchess Rowan defeated (her Lord Husband) Duke
                Hector for the right to become Soverign of Ansteorra. I *think* she's
                the only woman to have won crown list, but I'm pretty sure that there
                have been other entrants.

                I'll also echo what's already been said. Volunteering to do *stuff*
                (even chopping onions in the feast hall) is a great way to A) Meet
                People and B) Learn New Stuff!

                jerusha
                -----
                Susan Farmer
                sfarmer@...
                University of Tennessee
              • drew_radtke
                Message 7 of 11 , Jul 12, 2006
                  Well met, milady!

                  I live in Caer Maer (Richmond, VA). I'm afraid I failed to make your
                  acquaintance at Sapphire Joust. I only stayed for about 5 hours...just
                  to "check things out", but I had a blast! Anyways, I would ALSO like
                  to echo what has already been said. If you are a newcomers, it may
                  prove very interesting to be a waterbearer, or volunteer in some other
                  way. It doesn't have to be big. For example, while at Sapphire, I
                  noticed a merchant struggling to put up his tent and control his less
                  that quiet children. I walked over and offered to help with the tent.
                  This was a great way to meet someone different and learn about the
                  craft they do.
                • Iustinos Tekton called Justin
                  Message 8 of 11 , Jul 12, 2006
                    On Wednesday 12 July 2006 10:16, Susan B. Farmer wrote:
                    > Absolutely!  To my knowledge, there is *nothing* in the SCA that's
                    > restricted to one gender or the other.  The best example of that
                    > happened in Ansteorra.  Duchess Rowan defeated (her Lord Husband) Duke
                    > Hector for the right to become Soverign of Ansteorra.

                    {Justin pulls his chair closer to the fire and says...}

                    Toss another log on that fire, and come and hear a story of Duchess Rowan!

                    At Pennsic War several years ago, a man in his thirties named Durdell decided
                    that he would do a fundraiser for the Chirurgeons. He vowed to fight 500
                    single-combat bouts in five days against any opponent who would challenge
                    him. He spent a full year training and conditioning to build his endurance
                    for this, because he wanted to give people a real fight, not just a token
                    sword swing or two. The event was like a walkathon, in that people pledged
                    dollar amounts per fight up to the 500 fight maximum.

                    Durdell isn't a close friend, but he is an acquaintance of mine who lives
                    near where I do. That, and the fact that I'm a Chirurgeon myself, made me
                    want to be there on the last day of his fightathon to look after his first
                    aid needs and to make sure he stayed well-hydrated. I also put on my own
                    armour, and I'm proud to say that 9 of his 500 fights were against me. :-)

                    As he neared the magic 500th fight, a lady in armour came up and introduced
                    herself as Duchess Rowan of Ansteorra. She asked Durdell if she might have
                    the honor of fighting the last bout against him, and he gladly accepted
                    her challenge.

                    Rowan is not a big Amazonian woman by any means. She took the field in her
                    armour and wielding a two-handed greatsword -- not a weapon for the weak!
                    She and Durdell circled and struck at each other, probing defenses and
                    fending off blows. After a fairly long time (a minute or two, which in
                    single-combat can seem eternal!), Durdell struck her off-arm, which meant
                    that by the rules of the game she had to put that arm behind her back to
                    continue the fight.

                    Often, in single combat, the opponent would offer to let her switch
                    to a one-handed weapon if she wanted, to make the fight more even. But
                    Rowan didn't ask for this commonly-granted boon, and instead continued
                    the fight with her greatsword held in *just one hand*. Now, I can tell you
                    from personal experience that this is *not* an easy thing to do!

                    When I saw this, I mentally applauded her courage for continuing the fight
                    this way, but honestly didn't expect her to last long. I was very wrong
                    in that! She continued, spinning that weapon like a madwoman and using
                    it for defense and offense. Eventually, Durdell got the better of her
                    and won the bout.

                    Even though she lost the bout, she acquitted herself honorably by any standard,
                    because she fought the bout exceptionally well against an opponent who
                    was not "wounded". I was thoroughly impressed with her skill, and can easily
                    see how she was able to win Crown Tourney. Male upper body strength? Pshaw!
                    Combat prowess is 90% training and aptitude, and only 10% raw strength.

                    And this is the story that I tell at demos, when someone from the public
                    asks, "Can women fight too, or are they too weak?" "Weak?! Surely you jest!"

                    keys fesswise reversed sable.

                  • Susan B. Farmer
                    Message 9 of 11 , Jul 12, 2006
                      Quoting Iustinos Tekton called Justin <justin@...>:

                      > On Wednesday 12 July 2006 10:16, Susan B. Farmer wrote:
                      >> Absolutely! To my knowledge, there is *nothing* in the SCA that's
                      >> restricted to one gender or the other. The best example of that
                      >> happened in Ansteorra. Duchess Rowan defeated (her Lord Husband) Duke
                      >> Hector for the right to become Soverign of Ansteorra.
                      >
                      > {Justin pulls his chair closer to the fire and says...}
                      >
                      > Toss another log on that fire, and come and hear a story of Duchess Rowan!

                      Thank you so much for that story!

                      jerusha
                      -----
                      Susan Farmer
                      sfarmer@...
                      University of Tennessee
                    • Janet
                      Message 10 of 11 , Jul 12, 2006
                        wow, the shoe requirement is news to me. Here in the
                        midrealm, I've been a waterbearer numerous times
                        sporting some strappy sandals. No one has ever said a
                        word to me about it. Anyone know if that rule is
                        society wide or just for calontir?

                        <giudo.brunelleschi@...> wrote:

                        > Anyone can be a waterbearer...with some exceptions:
                        >
                        > I know Calontir does not allow anyone under a
                        > certain age (the number
                        > escapes me at that moment) to be ON the battlefield
                        > after a hold is called
                        > to carry water, but they can waterbear on the
                        > sidelines with parental or
                        > authorized adult supervision.
                        >
                        > Additionally, I believe the only other real
                        > requirement is that anyone
                        > waterbearing MUST wear closed-toe shoes of some
                        > variety. [[So no Roman
                        > sandals...]] The theory is that if someone drops a
                        > gauntlet on your foot,
                        > your foot won't get AS damaged as if you were
                        > wearing sandals or flip-flops.
                        > [[Not that it won't hurt...'cause it will. Gauntlets
                        > falling on feet always
                        > hurt....]]
                        >
                        > Until the next time,
                        > Signore Giudo di Niccolo Brunelleschi
                        > Shire of Deodar, Kingdom of Calontir
                        >

                        > On 7/11/06, christina wagener
                        > <sweetbutalitlsassy@...> wrote:
                        > >
                        > > thanks for the heads up!!! can ladys be water
                        > girls?

                        > removed]

                        http://mail.yahoo.com
                      • Signora Beatrice
                        Message 11 of 11 , Jul 13, 2006
                          Greetings from Beatrice.

                          There is no shoe requirement in An Tir for waterbearers. Other kingdoms,
                          I do not know, but I suspect that the West does not have such a
                          requirement, either, for they and we battle each summer, and I have never
                          heard of this rule.

                          http://mail.yahoo.com