A question for Newcomers! And others as well

  • David Roland
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 7, 2006
      I am the Chatelaine for a The Shire of Grey Gargoyles located in the
      Region of the Midlands in the Middle Kingdom. (South Chicago, IL)

      I have started a series of workshops that are supposed to be helpful
      for newcomers to get a better "leg-up" in there experience in the
      SCA. In short the concept is to make it easier to understand the
      SCA and have a better start than the ad hoc approach that seems to
      be usual.

      With that introduction here is the question.

      For you as a Newcomer:

      What were the more difficult things to learn or understand at first?

      What were the easier things to learn and understand at first?

      What would you liked to have told to you as a newcomer that would
      have been extremely helpful?

      What would you tell newcomers if you were the "guide" to their new
      SCA experience?

      What did you get told that was useless and/or confusing?

      What resources, if any, did you find usefull as a newcomer? Can you
      send me the links to them?

      Yes, lots of questions. Please feel free to e-mail me OFF LIST if
      you want. My e-mail is Mystborne AT Yahoo DOT com.

      For you folks that have been around a while:

      What things do you think Newcomers should know?

      What things to you think we can hold off on?

      So far I have managed to get fun and interesting Peers to run the
      workshops or in one case start and continue a Garb Circle that is a
      low key ongoing fun activity now.

      I look forward to the e-mail bombardment as long as it is topical to
      the questions asked.

      Thank you all for your help.

      Lord Ian the Green
      Chatelaine - Grey Gargoyles
    • Matt Hucke
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 7, 2006
        Your Grace,

        > I am the Chatelaine for a The Shire of Grey Gargoyles located in the
        > Region of the Midlands in the Middle Kingdom. (South Chicago, IL)
        > I have started a series of workshops that are supposed to be helpful ...

        I am a newcomer on the north side of Chicago (Logan Square). I have not
        yet been to any SCA event; I acquired membership via the web site, only
        three days ago. I would be most interested in attending your workshop,
        or other local events that could serve as a good introduction.

        For me, the most important question is : where to start? What events
        can a newcomer attend that provide the best general introduction to
        the personalities and customs of the local organisations?

        Thanks,
        Martin St. Clair

        --
        hucke@...
        http://www.graveyards.com

        "What is the difference? What indeed is the point? ...The
        clarity is devastating. But where is the ambiguity? It's
        over there, in a box." -- J. Cleese
      • drew_radtke
        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 7, 2006
          Good milord,

          Some answers from a newcomer,

          The more difficult things to understand were definately the ways of
          addressing people. I walked around and called many people "ma'am"
          or "sir", and had no idea that I was wrong.

          I took a pretty big interest in combat and the bardic arts early.

          Not to rush the creation of my persona.

          Same answer as directly above.

          Heraldry has always confused me, no matter how many people tried to
          explain it to me.

          I am in the process of using the Academy of St. Gabriel. I don't
          know the link, but google is a wonderful tool :). They are a group
          of volunteers who research aspects of the medieval times, and are
          not affiliated with the SCA. However, I asked them to research the
          authenticity of my name for my time period and country, and what
          changes would need to be made. Very helpful.

          I'm still very new to the SCA, and I did the best I could here. Hope
          I could help!

          Drew Radtke
          (Padraic Úa Ruairc)
        • Sydney Walker Freedman
          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 7, 2006
            Greetings!

            Lady Cecilia here with a couple of links that everyone in the SCA
            should know about: :) They're the first places I look when I need
            information on anything, and if I don't find the information i'm
            looking for, there is usually something there that points me to where
            I can find it. :)
            http://www.florilegium.org
            http://www.scalinks.com

            Pax Christi,
            Lady Cecilia de Cambrige

            > I am the Chatelaine for a The Shire of Grey Gargoyles located in the
            > Region of the Midlands in the Middle Kingdom. (South Chicago, IL)
            >
            > I have started a series of workshops that are supposed to be helpful
            > for newcomers to get a better "leg-up" in there experience in the
            > SCA. In short the concept is to make it easier to understand the
            > SCA and have a better start than the ad hoc approach that seems to
            > be usual.
            >
            > With that introduction here is the question.
            >
            > For you as a Newcomer:
            >
            > What were the more difficult things to learn or understand at first?
            >
            > What were the easier things to learn and understand at first?
            >
            > What would you liked to have told to you as a newcomer that would
            > have been extremely helpful?
            >
            > What would you tell newcomers if you were the "guide" to their new
            > SCA experience?
            >
            > What did you get told that was useless and/or confusing?
            >
            > What resources, if any, did you find usefull as a newcomer? Can you
            > send me the links to them?
            >
            > Yes, lots of questions. Please feel free to e-mail me OFF LIST if
            > you want. My e-mail is Mystborne AT Yahoo DOT com.
            >
            > For you folks that have been around a while:
            >
            > What things do you think Newcomers should know?
            >
            > What things to you think we can hold off on?
            >
            > So far I have managed to get fun and interesting Peers to run the
            > workshops or in one case start and continue a Garb Circle that is a
            > low key ongoing fun activity now.
            >
            > I look forward to the e-mail bombardment as long as it is topical to
            > the questions asked.
            >
            > Thank you all for your help.
            >
            > Lord Ian the Green
            > Chatelaine - Grey Gargoyles

            Pax Christi,
            Sydney
          • David Roland
            Message 5 of 7 , Jul 8, 2006
              I greatly appreciate the responses I have gotten about this so far,
              both the private answers and the public ones.

              I hope to hear from more people as well.

              Again Thank You!

              Lord Ian the Green (AoA)
              Chatelaine - Grey Gargoyles
            • Lori Williams

                Message 7 of 7 , Jul 10, 2006
                  I'll take a stab at some of these! :-) I've been
                  playing about 4-5 years now and am also the Chatelaine
                  for my local group, but I still tend to think of
                  myself as a newcomer in many ways...

                  --- David Roland <mystborne@...> wrote:

                  <snip>

                  > For you as a Newcomer:
                  >
                  > What were the more difficult things to learn or
                  > understand at first?

                  How to distinguish the pointy hats and what to call
                  them. However, having tried to present this
                  information to someone who was brand-spanking new and
                  watching his eyes glaze over, I've decided that it's
                  something that can wait until someone's been to an
                  event. Actually, I like presenting this information
                  *at* an event, where I can *show* people a baronial
                  coronet vs. a county coronet vs. a ducal coronet, etc.

                  > What would you tell newcomers if you were the
                  > "guide" to their new
                  > SCA experience?

                  If you see something that looks interesting--whether
                  it's someone's outfit, something they're doing,
                  etc.--don't be afraid to go up to them and *ask* them
                  about it. Also, don't let the fact that you're "new"
                  keep you from volunteering to help with things. I
                  found one of the best ways to meet and get to know
                  people was to volunteer to help out with a variety of
                  activites.

                  > What did you get told that was useless and/or
                  > confusing?

                  The garb police urban legends. Honestly, I have not
                  experienced that alleged phenomenon. I've heard from
                  others who most definitely have, so I know it exists,
                  but I just haven't seen it. I *have* seen it scare
                  newcomers, though, to the point where they feel they
                  can't attend an event until their garb is "just
                  right," and it just *bugs* me.

                  > What resources, if any, did you find usefull as a
                  > newcomer? Can you
                  > send me the links to them?

                  This list! :-) Your kingdom's website. Check for local
                  newcomers' lists as well: your kingdom, your local
                  group (my Shire has a Yahoo!group specifically for
                  newcomers, for example).

                  > For you folks that have been around a while:
                  >
                  > What things do you think Newcomers should know?

                  How to smile and say "I'm new." :-) Seriously, I find
                  that it opens doors.

                  > What things to you think we can hold off on?

                  See above re: pointy hats.

                  One of the best things you can do for your newcomers
                  is to ask them what sparked their interest in the SCA
                  and what they hope to get out of it. It took me awhile
                  to remember that. It will save you a lot of time and
                  energy and keep them from being bombarded with
                  information that may have *no* interest for them
                  whatsoever--at least at the moment.

                  Good luck! And if you haven't already done so, check
                  out the SCA-Chatelaines list at Yahoo!Groups.

                  Yours in service,
                  Grainne ingen Lugdach
                  Shire of Roxbury Mill
                  Atlantia