Re: [SCA Newcomers] Re: Heraldry questions

  • Maria
    Message 1 of 13 , Jul 7, 2006
      Aryanhwy,

      I have a question. If you have a black cat on a red field with black stars on it is that considered a neutral also or does it have to be white stars?

      Maria
      Message 2 of 13 , Jul 7, 2006
        Quoth "maevedechesne":
        > >The name is Maeve de Chesne
        > > -- It is 13th century celtic. From wales and Scotland

        'Celtic' is the name of a group of languages, not a specific
        language (just as 'Romance' is the name of the family of
        languages which contains Italian, French, Spanish, Romanian,
        etc.); both Gaelic and Welsh are Celtic languages, but
        Gaelic and Welsh are definitely distinct languages and names
        and naming practices which are appropriate for one language
        aren't in general appropriate for the other. (In particular,
        if you're interested in registering your name, you'd want to
        pick something which is either wholly Welsh or wholly Gaelic,
        as names which combine elements from both langauges are not
        registerable.)

        So, wether you want to live in Wales or in Scotland will
        make a difference as to what types of names are appropriate.

        <Maeve> is a modern English form of the Gaelic name <Meadhbh>;
        so far, I know of no evidence that the spelling <Maeve> is
        found before modern times. <Meadhbh> is a fine choice for
        the 13th century; this name is moderately common in Irish
        Gaelic. [1,2] However, it doesn't appear that this name was
        used at all in Scottish Gaelic. [3]

        <de Chesne> is actually neither Gaelic nor Welsh - it's
        English (originally from the Old French <chesnai> 'oak-grove').
        There are various examples of this surname in the 12th and
        13th century - <de Chaisnei>, <de Cheisnei> 1140, 1166, <de
        Cheinnei> a. 1183, <de Chennei> 12th C, <de Chesnei> 1205, <del
        1242, <de Cheyne> 1296>. [4] So, if you're looking for an
        English persona, then this is a great choice for a 13th century
        byname, but it's not a good choice for a Welsh or Scottish
        Gaelic woman.

        So, there's a lot of possibilities open to you - if you're
        interested in a Scottish Gaelic name, then you might want to
        check out these articles:

        "Quick and Easy Gaelic Names"
        http://www.medievalscotland.org/scotnames/quickgaelicbynames/

        "A Simple Guide to Constructing 12th Century Scottish Gaelic Names"
        http://www.medievalscotland.org/scotnames/simplescotgaelicnames12.shtml

        "Scottish Gaelic Given Names"
        http://www.medievalscotland.org/scotnames/gaelicgiven/

        If Welsh is your interest, then I can do no better than recommend
        this article:

        "A Simple Guide to Constructing 13th Century Welsh Names"
        http://www.s-gabriel.org/names/tangwystyl/welsh13.html

        And then lastly if you'd rather have an English name, to go with
        <de Chesne>, here are some good places to look for a 13th century
        English given name:

        "Feminine Given Names in _A Dictionary of English Surnames_"
        http://www.s-gabriel.org/names/talan/reaney/

        "Names from 13th Century Northumberland"
        http://www.ellipsis.cx/~liana/names/english/northumberland.html

        "Given Names from Early 13th Century England"
        http://www.s-gabriel.org/names/talan/eng13/

        Hope this helps! If you've got any other questions, please let
        me know!

        -Aryanhwy

        --
        Notes:

        [1] O'Corrain & Maguire, _Irish Names_, s.n. Medb

        [2] "Index of Names in Irish Annals: Feminine Names"
        (http://www.s-gabriel.org/names/mari/AnnalsIndex/Feminine/)

        [3] Academy of S. Gabriel Report #2196
        (http://www.s-gabriel.org/2196).

        [4] Reaney & Wilson's _Dictionary of English Surnames_ s.n.
        Cheyney

        --
        vita sine literis mors est
        http://www.ellipsis.cx/~liana/
        Message 3 of 13 , Jul 7, 2006
          Quoth "Maria":
          > I have a question. If you have a black cat on a red field with black stars o
          > n it is that considered a neutral also or does it have to be white stars?

          In this case, since the cat and the stars are wholly black, they are
          not considered neutral, and so they couldn't be placed on a red field.
          You'd want to make both the cats and the stars yellow or white (or
          change the background to yellow or white).

          -Aryanhwy

          --
          vita sine literis mors est
          http://www.ellipsis.cx/~liana/
          Message 4 of 13 , Jul 7, 2006
            Thanks.

            > I have a question. If you have a black cat on a red field with black stars o
            > n it is that considered a neutral also or does it have to be white stars?

            In this case, since the cat and the stars are wholly black, they are
            not considered neutral, and so they couldn't be placed on a red field.
            You'd want to make both the cats and the stars yellow or white (or
            change the background to yellow or white).

            -Aryanhwy

            --
            vita sine literis mors est
            http://www.ellipsis.cx/~liana/

          • Joshua Poling-Goldenne
            Message 5 of 13 , Jul 10, 2006
              On 7/5/06, tuamkoh <tuamkoh@...> wrote:

              > I am newly returned to the sca after a few years absence. I am
              > working on registering my name and device with the College of Heralds,
              > but can't seem to get in touch with a local herald. Are there any
              > Antlantian Heralds on this list willing to consult with me?
              >
              > Tuam

              Tuam,

              Where in Atlantia are you located? If you can't find a herald locally, there
              are a few other options I can think of...

              1) Contact the Kingdom Herald and ask him for help finding someone
              Lord EĆ³gan mac Ailpein
              mka Gene Bonar
              5105 Little Beaverdam Court, Holly Springs, NC, 27540
              herald@...

              2) Apparently the Atlantian heralds have an email list, so you could
              possibly subscribe to that and ask there.
              To subscribe to the Atlantian Heralds E-mail List, send a blank email to:
              AtlantianHeralds-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

              3) Join the Merry Rose (Atlantia's official kingdom-wide mailing list) and
              ask for help finding a local herald there.

              4) Find the Herald's consult table at an event (they are at most of them)

              Gaspar Marti