Re: [SCA Newcomers] Re: Heraldry questions

  • Sara L Uckelman
    Message 1 of 13 , Jul 6, 2006
      Quoth "maevedechesne":
      > I'm having the same problem in Trimaris!
      >
      > Maeve de Chesne

      Have you tried emailing CoHTrimaris@yahoogroups.com? The
      list is fairly active and if you email them, you'll probably
      get a response within a couple of hours.

      If it's a general heraldic question, I'd also be willing to try
      to answer it for you.

      -Aryanhwy, herald goob

      --
      vita sine literis mors est
      http://www.ellipsis.cx/~liana/
      Message 2 of 13 , Jul 6, 2006
        --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, Sara L Uckelman <liana@...>
        wrote:

        > Quoth "maevedechesne":
        > > I'm having the same problem in Trimaris!
        > >
        > > Maeve de Chesne
        >
        > Have you tried emailing CoHTrimaris@yahoogroups.com? The
        > list is fairly active and if you email them, you'll probably
        > get a response within a couple of hours.
        >
        > If it's a general heraldic question, I'd also be willing to try
        > to answer it for you.
        >
        > -Aryanhwy, herald goob
        >

        > --Juat trying to get the name approved which has been tricky
        > vita sine literis mors est
        > http://www.ellipsis.cx/~liana/

      • tuamkoh
        Message 3 of 13 , Jul 6, 2006
          Thank You Ary,

          If you don't mind, I would appreciate the help.

          I'm designing my device, a fools head above a sword on a red field.
          I would like the fools head to be divided into two colors(black on
          one side and white on the other). But this places Black on red which
          I read is against the rules of heraldry. or am I reading that wrong.

          Thanks,
          Tuam

          wrote:

          > Quoth "maevedechesne":
          > > I'm having the same problem in Trimaris!
          > >
          > > Maeve de Chesne
          >
          > Have you tried emailing CoHTrimaris@yahoogroups.com? The
          > list is fairly active and if you email them, you'll probably
          > get a response within a couple of hours.
          >
          > If it's a general heraldic question, I'd also be willing to try
          > to answer it for you.
          >
          > -Aryanhwy, herald goob
          >

          > --
          > vita sine literis mors est
          > http://www.ellipsis.cx/~liana/

        • Sara L Uckelman
          Message 4 of 13 , Jul 7, 2006
            Quoth "maevedechesne":
            > > --Juat trying to get the name approved which has been tricky

            What is the name?

            -Aryanhwy

            --
            vita sine literis mors est
            http://www.ellipsis.cx/~liana/
            Message 5 of 13 , Jul 7, 2006
              Quoth "tuamkoh":
              > I'm designing my device, a fools head above a sword on a red field.
              > I would like the fools head to be divided into two colors(black on
              > one side and white on the other). But this places Black on red which
              > I read is against the rules of heraldry. or am I reading that wrong.

              The heraldic tinctures come in two classes - colors (black, red, blue,
              purple, and green) and metals (yellow and white) - and you're right
              that in general, you can't place a color on a color or a metal on
              a metal. However, when you've got a charge which has been divided
              equally between a color and a metal, such as your fool's head, then
              it's considered neutral, and can be placed on either a color or a
              metal background. So, "Gules, a fool's head per pale sable and
              argent" is just fine. ("Per pale" if it's divided vertically; if
              it's divided horizontally, it's "per fess".)

              Hope this helps!

              -Aryanhwy

              --
              vita sine literis mors est
              http://www.ellipsis.cx/~liana/
              Message 6 of 13 , Jul 7, 2006
                --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, Sara L Uckelman <liana@...> wrote:

                > Quoth "maevedechesne":
                > > > --Juat trying to get the name approved which has been tricky
                >
                > What is the name?
                >
                > -Aryanhwy
                >

                >The name is Maeve de Chesne
                > -- It is 13th century celtic. From wales and Scotland
                > vita sine literis mors est
                > http://www.ellipsis.cx/~liana/

              • Maria
                Message 7 of 13 , Jul 7, 2006
                  Aryanhwy,

                  I have a question. If you have a black cat on a red field with black stars on it is that considered a neutral also or does it have to be white stars?

                  Maria

                  Message 8 of 13 , Jul 7, 2006
                    Quoth "maevedechesne":
                    > >The name is Maeve de Chesne
                    > > -- It is 13th century celtic. From wales and Scotland

                    'Celtic' is the name of a group of languages, not a specific
                    language (just as 'Romance' is the name of the family of
                    languages which contains Italian, French, Spanish, Romanian,
                    etc.); both Gaelic and Welsh are Celtic languages, but
                    Gaelic and Welsh are definitely distinct languages and names
                    and naming practices which are appropriate for one language
                    aren't in general appropriate for the other. (In particular,
                    if you're interested in registering your name, you'd want to
                    pick something which is either wholly Welsh or wholly Gaelic,
                    as names which combine elements from both langauges are not
                    registerable.)

                    So, wether you want to live in Wales or in Scotland will
                    make a difference as to what types of names are appropriate.

                    <Maeve> is a modern English form of the Gaelic name <Meadhbh>;
                    so far, I know of no evidence that the spelling <Maeve> is
                    found before modern times. <Meadhbh> is a fine choice for
                    the 13th century; this name is moderately common in Irish
                    Gaelic. [1,2] However, it doesn't appear that this name was
                    used at all in Scottish Gaelic. [3]

                    <de Chesne> is actually neither Gaelic nor Welsh - it's
                    English (originally from the Old French <chesnai> 'oak-grove').
                    There are various examples of this surname in the 12th and
                    13th century - <de Chaisnei>, <de Cheisnei> 1140, 1166, <de
                    Cheinnei> a. 1183, <de Chennei> 12th C, <de Chesnei> 1205, <del
                    1242, <de Cheyne> 1296>. [4] So, if you're looking for an
                    English persona, then this is a great choice for a 13th century
                    byname, but it's not a good choice for a Welsh or Scottish
                    Gaelic woman.

                    So, there's a lot of possibilities open to you - if you're
                    interested in a Scottish Gaelic name, then you might want to
                    check out these articles:

                    "Quick and Easy Gaelic Names"
                    http://www.medievalscotland.org/scotnames/quickgaelicbynames/

                    "A Simple Guide to Constructing 12th Century Scottish Gaelic Names"
                    http://www.medievalscotland.org/scotnames/simplescotgaelicnames12.shtml

                    "Scottish Gaelic Given Names"
                    http://www.medievalscotland.org/scotnames/gaelicgiven/

                    If Welsh is your interest, then I can do no better than recommend
                    this article:

                    "A Simple Guide to Constructing 13th Century Welsh Names"
                    http://www.s-gabriel.org/names/tangwystyl/welsh13.html

                    And then lastly if you'd rather have an English name, to go with
                    <de Chesne>, here are some good places to look for a 13th century
                    English given name:

                    "Feminine Given Names in _A Dictionary of English Surnames_"
                    http://www.s-gabriel.org/names/talan/reaney/

                    "Names from 13th Century Northumberland"
                    http://www.ellipsis.cx/~liana/names/english/northumberland.html

                    "Given Names from Early 13th Century England"
                    http://www.s-gabriel.org/names/talan/eng13/

                    Hope this helps! If you've got any other questions, please let
                    me know!

                    -Aryanhwy

                    --
                    Notes:

                    [1] O'Corrain & Maguire, _Irish Names_, s.n. Medb

                    [2] "Index of Names in Irish Annals: Feminine Names"
                    (http://www.s-gabriel.org/names/mari/AnnalsIndex/Feminine/)

                    [3] Academy of S. Gabriel Report #2196
                    (http://www.s-gabriel.org/2196).

                    [4] Reaney & Wilson's _Dictionary of English Surnames_ s.n.
                    Cheyney

                    --
                    vita sine literis mors est
                    http://www.ellipsis.cx/~liana/
                    Message 9 of 13 , Jul 7, 2006
                      Quoth "Maria":
                      > I have a question. If you have a black cat on a red field with black stars o
                      > n it is that considered a neutral also or does it have to be white stars?

                      In this case, since the cat and the stars are wholly black, they are
                      not considered neutral, and so they couldn't be placed on a red field.
                      You'd want to make both the cats and the stars yellow or white (or
                      change the background to yellow or white).

                      -Aryanhwy

                      --
                      vita sine literis mors est
                      http://www.ellipsis.cx/~liana/
                      Message 10 of 13 , Jul 7, 2006
                        Thanks.

                        > I have a question. If you have a black cat on a red field with black stars o
                        > n it is that considered a neutral also or does it have to be white stars?

                        In this case, since the cat and the stars are wholly black, they are
                        not considered neutral, and so they couldn't be placed on a red field.
                        You'd want to make both the cats and the stars yellow or white (or
                        change the background to yellow or white).

                        -Aryanhwy

                        --
                        vita sine literis mors est
                        http://www.ellipsis.cx/~liana/

                      • Joshua Poling-Goldenne
                        Message 11 of 13 , Jul 10, 2006
                          On 7/5/06, tuamkoh <tuamkoh@...> wrote:

                          > I am newly returned to the sca after a few years absence. I am
                          > working on registering my name and device with the College of Heralds,
                          > but can't seem to get in touch with a local herald. Are there any
                          > Antlantian Heralds on this list willing to consult with me?
                          >
                          > Tuam

                          Tuam,

                          Where in Atlantia are you located? If you can't find a herald locally, there
                          are a few other options I can think of...

                          1) Contact the Kingdom Herald and ask him for help finding someone
                          Lord EĆ³gan mac Ailpein
                          mka Gene Bonar
                          5105 Little Beaverdam Court, Holly Springs, NC, 27540
                          herald@...

                          2) Apparently the Atlantian heralds have an email list, so you could
                          possibly subscribe to that and ask there.
                          To subscribe to the Atlantian Heralds E-mail List, send a blank email to:
                          AtlantianHeralds-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

                          3) Join the Merry Rose (Atlantia's official kingdom-wide mailing list) and
                          ask for help finding a local herald there.

                          4) Find the Herald's consult table at an event (they are at most of them)

                          Gaspar Marti