Re: [SCA Newcomers] Children's Protective Gear

  • Diane Gustafson
    Message 1 of 9 , Jul 4, 2006
      PS
      I thought your children were in their late teens, that is when period usually comes into play for the kids. But again, that depends on your area. It is best to talk with your youth marshall and the seneschal when it comes to clothing and gear specific.

      For young kids, I have found that it is really easy to buy up those foam water floaties near fall and use them in various areas of gear to make the items "soft approved" for fighting. Perhaps you have seen them, they are about 5 feet long, hollow core, and made of foam? I have also seen the foam pipe covers used as insulation for water piping at hardware stores in pretty decent price ranges. ( i.e. cheap!)

      Also, if your daughter or son get serious, they can both get good protection at a recycled sports good store, look in the martial arts section and you can usually find a wide array of protective gears. Girls even have chest and groin protection for less than $10 each item, and usually some are way cheaper. You can find those in your phone book under sporting goods stores. If they are not clear on who has some used items for sale, just ask.

      Oh, and hockey guards for legs are really great for fighters. Easy to cover,shins and thighs, and not too hard to find.

      Just some ideas. Hope they help.

      Mandolin

      bjpritch@... wrote:
      Mandolin,

      Thanks for responding so quickly. My son is 10 and my daughter is 7. Both are very tall for their ages. We are so new to this, they don't have a time frame they have chosen and we are looking to get them started with the protective armor for sword fighting. As they become familiar with SCA and all, they can pick their timeframe and develop their character. Hope this helps a bit. Thank you.

      BJ

      From: Diane Gustafson

      Greetings BJ:
      First, how old are the children you speak of? That information would help in getting the properly sized patterns for you.And, second, what persona/time frame is your son choosing? Each period and country had different styles of gear. Most of our mundane protective gear is covered by these styles.
      This should help us be able to send you more accurate help.
      Glad you joined!
      Mandolin

      pritchbj wrote:
      To Whom It May Concern,

      My son is starting with SCA in sword fighting. I wish to make him
      protective garb but cannot find any patterns. Can anyone point us in
      the right direction.

      On a side note, my daugther would like to begin bellydancing and I'd
      need to garb her up to, so those patterns would be appreciated.

      Our family has the abiliety to sew, cross stitch,do bead work, leather
      work, wood working, and some medal work so I think we can handle any
      patterns you can point us to.

      Thanks much and I look forward to hearing from anyone who can help us.

      ...BJ Sends

      Yahoo! Groups Links

    • Janet
      Message 2 of 9 , Jul 5, 2006
        Whatever you should decide to do, I will make a
        request on behalf of the garb list and ask that you
        don't dress your daughter in the modern "I Dream of
        Genie" type outfits. "Belly dancing" garb has been a
        hot topic on the garb list lately. Here are a few
        links for info that have been submitted on that list.
        Definately pick a culture and do a bit of research on
        it. Although it seems that most cultures wore some
        variation of pants, tunic and coat.

        Some interesting fact and fiction of belly dancing:
        http://www.shira.net/debunking.htm

        Some do's and don'ts for middle eastern garb:
        http://www.willofyre.com/OriginalSite/Clothing/periodmideastgarb.html

        A few coats and some headgear:
        http://www.willofyre.com/OriginalSite/Clothing/SCAMidEasterngarb.htm

        A Scadian who belly dances in more authentic garb:
        http://www.island.net/~doerksen/dancpic2.html

        Google the terms for any of the articles of clothing
        listed here and you should get pictures, directions,
        etc:
        http://www.island.net/~doerksen/basics.html

        In service,
        Isabel