Re: [SCA Newcomers] Children's Protective Gear

  • Cyndie May
    Message 1 of 9 , Jul 3, 2006
      Greetings,
      In regards to fighting gear for youth it doesn't matter what period for the
      protective gear. Every youth fighter must be protected by youth combat
      standards that your Youth Marshall has a copy of - just ask. These standards
      will tell you what is minimally required for armor as well as making your
      weapons. Both of your children will need cup protection - we found our
      daughters on line. Your daughter would start out in Division 1 (ages 6-9)
      and your son would be Div 2 (10-13). The Div 1 weapons are based on golf
      tube construction which you can find at Walmart and the other Divisions are
      based on PVC pipe at Home Depot - your new best friend because all other
      weapon material can be purchased there. Ask your your Youth Marshall for the
      guidelines because they are very specific in weapon construction for the
      safety of your child as well as others. Now for the fun part... the youth
      are strongly encourage to cover modern materials as they see fit - this is
      where the persona comes in. You don't have to do it right away - check out
      what others have done and buy many different colors of duct tape.... you
      will use it in many different ways.

      Arabella
      MIT Youth Fighting
      Dragonshiphaven
      East Kingdom
      From: Diane Gustafson <mandolin33@...>

      Greetings BJ:
      First, how old are the children you speak of? That information would help in
      getting the properly sized patterns for you.And, second, what persona/time
      frame is your son choosing? Each period and country had different styles of
      gear. Most of our mundane protective gear is covered by these styles.
      This should help us be able to send you more accurate help.
      Glad you joined!
      Mandolin

      pritchbj <bjpritch@...> wrote:
      To Whom It May Concern,

      My son is starting with SCA in sword fighting. I wish to make him
      protective garb but cannot find any patterns. Can anyone point us in
      the right direction.

      On a side note, my daugther would like to begin bellydancing and I'd
      need to garb her up to, so those patterns would be appreciated.

      Our family has the abiliety to sew, cross stitch,do bead work, leather
      work, wood working, and some medal work so I think we can handle any
      patterns you can point us to.

      Thanks much and I look forward to hearing from anyone who can help us.

      .BJ Sends

      Yahoo! Groups Links

    • Melissa Carter
      Message 2 of 9 , Jul 3, 2006
        Greetings,
        My daughter is 8 almost 9 and loves to fight chiv "just like dad". I would tell you that in the div 1 group crotch protection for a girl can consist of a pair of socks or cloth gloves. I would say not to spend a huge amount on this until you are positive she wants to continue. FWIW just my 2 pence...

        Hedwig
        Ansteorra

      • Coblaith Mhuimhneach
        Message 3 of 9 , Jul 3, 2006
          BJ Sends wrote:
          > My son is starting with SCA in sword fighting. I wish to make him
          > protective garb but cannot find any patterns.

          > My son is 10. . .

          You've not asked WHICH protective gear he needs, so I'm assuming you
          already know. If not, you should be aware that it is a
          kingdom-specific thing.

          If you live in Ansteorra, you'll find details on what's required and
          some "where to get it" info at <http://youth-combat.ansteorra.org/>.
          If you're in Caid, there is information, (including photos of, but not
          directions for making, armor) at
          <http://www.sca-caid.org/children/boffer/index.html>. Search for your
          kingdom's name (if it's neither of these) and the word "boffer" or the
          phrase "youth combat", and you should find what's available fairly
          easily.

          For kids, most protective gear is easy to acquire, consisting as it
          does of moderately-heavy clothing and sports gear. Reconstructing
          History's "Your First Garb"
          <http://www.reconstructinghistory.com/beginners/FirstGarb.html> will
          tell you how to make a basic tunic, of a sort worn (with some variation
          in details like the shapes of sleeves and necklines and types and
          position of trim) from the very beginning of the SCA millennium almost
          until the end, all over Europe. It'll make a fine fighting shirt.
          Pants like those described on the Regia Anglorum site
          <http://www.regia.org/members/basclot5d.htm> would be an appropriate
          choice to accompany it.

          The gorget is the one piece of armour you really need to make (at
          least, it is in Ansteorra). You can use a pattern like those on the
          websites of Caladin Ironheart <http://www.io.com/~caladin/MYFArmor.htm>
          and the Brighthelm Household <http://www.brighthelm.org/armour/>, which
          were designed for adult combatants. Or you can make a simplified
          version like those pictured on the Caid youth combat site. Your
          kingdom's rules will tell you what the minimum requirements are.

          > On a side note, my daugther would like to begin bellydancing and I'd
          > need to garb her up to, so those patterns would be appreciated.

          > . . .my daughter is 7.

          As far as I know, medieval women danced in the same clothes they wore
          when they weren't dancing. And in most places, girls dressed
          more-or-less as women did (though their clothes might have been
          simpler, or lacked specific garments associated with adulthood or
          motherhood). If you want to dress her authentically, therefore, the
          first step would be to pick a culture (Turkish, Indian, Persian,
          Egyptian, and Arabic women all did some version of "bellydance", so
          those are popular choices) and research the clothing women of that
          culture wore. The Atlantian A&S Links site has some resources
          <http://moas.atlantia.sca.org/wsnlinks/index.php?
          action=displaycat&catid=272> to get you started.

          Good luck, and welcome to the Society!

          Coblaith Mhuimhneach
          Barony of Bryn Gwlad
          Kingdom of Ansteorra
          <mailto:Coblaith@...>

        • Diane Gustafson
          Message 4 of 9 , Jul 4, 2006
            Looks like someone from the kingdom of ansteorra beat me to the ideas. those locations are probably the best to start with. If I'm not wrong, it sounds like either a barony official or seneschal answered and they are pretty knowledgable when it comes to these kinds of things. After all, it is part of their calling to make sure everyone gets started off on the right foot!

            Good luck, and welcome to the SCA!
            Mandolin

            Message 5 of 9 , Jul 4, 2006
              PS
              I thought your children were in their late teens, that is when period usually comes into play for the kids. But again, that depends on your area. It is best to talk with your youth marshall and the seneschal when it comes to clothing and gear specific.

              For young kids, I have found that it is really easy to buy up those foam water floaties near fall and use them in various areas of gear to make the items "soft approved" for fighting. Perhaps you have seen them, they are about 5 feet long, hollow core, and made of foam? I have also seen the foam pipe covers used as insulation for water piping at hardware stores in pretty decent price ranges. ( i.e. cheap!)

              Also, if your daughter or son get serious, they can both get good protection at a recycled sports good store, look in the martial arts section and you can usually find a wide array of protective gears. Girls even have chest and groin protection for less than $10 each item, and usually some are way cheaper. You can find those in your phone book under sporting goods stores. If they are not clear on who has some used items for sale, just ask.

              Oh, and hockey guards for legs are really great for fighters. Easy to cover,shins and thighs, and not too hard to find.

              Just some ideas. Hope they help.

              Mandolin

              Message 6 of 9 , Jul 5, 2006
                Whatever you should decide to do, I will make a
                request on behalf of the garb list and ask that you
                don't dress your daughter in the modern "I Dream of
                Genie" type outfits. "Belly dancing" garb has been a
                hot topic on the garb list lately. Here are a few
                links for info that have been submitted on that list.
                Definately pick a culture and do a bit of research on
                it. Although it seems that most cultures wore some
                variation of pants, tunic and coat.

                Some interesting fact and fiction of belly dancing:
                http://www.shira.net/debunking.htm

                Some do's and don'ts for middle eastern garb:
                http://www.willofyre.com/OriginalSite/Clothing/periodmideastgarb.html

                A few coats and some headgear:
                http://www.willofyre.com/OriginalSite/Clothing/SCAMidEasterngarb.htm

                A Scadian who belly dances in more authentic garb:
                http://www.island.net/~doerksen/dancpic2.html

                Google the terms for any of the articles of clothing
                listed here and you should get pictures, directions,
                etc:
                http://www.island.net/~doerksen/basics.html

                In service,
                Isabel