Re: [SCA Newcomers] newbie persona stuff

  • Kimiko Small
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 30, 2006
      Hi Dianna,

      On Knights of the Garter, that was the highest Knightly Honor given in England, and as far as I've seen during the 16th century (my preferred time period), it was only given to men of rank, not women. And usually the man had to be in very good graces with the Monarch, or was a visiting Monarch of another realm that the English Monarch wanted to create good relations with. I am not sure when women were finally granted arms under this Knighthood.

      Hmmm found a site that lists all those invested into the knighthood, starting in 1348. Yep, all men until the first woman is invested as:
      "838bis (app 3.6.1910) Mary, Queen Consort. Daughter of Francis, Duke of Teck. Married George V. "
      http://www.velde.org/topics/orders/garterlist.htm

      hth,

      Kimiko

      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      Joane Silvertoppe
      B.Nordwache, K.Caid

      Dianna McCleary <DIANNAMAC21@...> wrote:
      The Knights of the Garter also
      included women...but I am wondering if that was just a "social
      service" sort of award and not true Knighthood, persay.

    • Maria
      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 1, 2006
        Another thing you want to do is make sure there isn't a group of Templars in your area. You really don't want to claim to be a Templar if there's a group in your area. We have a small group here in the Houston area.

        And as far as I can find out, the only people inducted into the Templars were men. There were no women in the templars, they were basically monks who fight.

        In Service to the Dream,
        Lady Elizabeta Maria dei Medici
        Maria Buchanan
        Hospitaler - Barony of the Stargate
        Hospitaler - Shire of Gate's Edge
        281-433-0347
        Message 3 of 8 , Jul 1, 2006
          You guys are just great...thanks so much for all of the replies!!

          Dianna