newbie persona stuff

  • Dianna McCleary
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 29, 2006
      Greetings all and singular!

      Fresh from my first camping event and having witnessed my first arms
      competitions, I am now ready to embark on the search for my persona...

      I find I am faced with daunting oxy-moronic and juxtapositional
      attributes with which to begin my research, "allow me to explain...no,
      too much, let me sum up."

      I am a woman of primarily Irish, Scotts/Irish descent...McCleary/Womack

      I am an ordained minister, as such I would like to lend my services to
      my barony (Dragonspine) if they have a need.

      I already use a bow, will be going to fighter practice for rapier and
      eventually would like to enter heavy fighting with quarterstaff, or
      the equivalent.

      I would like to compile a persona using as many of these attributes as
      possible. I have done a weeks worth of research and have hit some
      snags.

      The Knights of St. John, or Knights Templar may have included women
      sometime during the last century before they were disbanded, having
      many priories and comandries throughout Europe and especially France,
      I believe during the 14th century. The Knights of the Garter also
      included women...but I am wondering if that was just a "social
      service" sort of award and not true Knighthood, persay.

      Rersearching the Templars and Knights of Malta gets a bit pricklish,
      since they have the modern day Masonic parellel organizations (my
      father is a member)and also still have the actual awards in the UK
      (Prince Charles, Queen Elizabeth, etc.)

      If I am bound by time as far as the rapier, as well as the confines of
      the women's order of the Templers...I believe I can get away with late
      14th or 15th century. Now, how likely is it for an Irish woman to have
      become part of one of these priories? Should I drop the mundane
      linage? I'm not even going to address the fact that I'm a Protestant
      not a Catholic, lol.

      "HELP"!!

      Thanks in advance!
      Dianna
    • Susan B. Farmer
      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 30, 2006
        Quoting Dianna McCleary <DIANNAMAC21@...>:

        > Greetings all and singular!
        >
        > Fresh from my first camping event and having witnessed my first arms
        > competitions, I am now ready to embark on the search for my persona...
        >
        > I find I am faced with daunting oxy-moronic and juxtapositional
        > attributes with which to begin my research, "allow me to explain...no,
        > too much, let me sum up."

        Oh, honey; you don't have to fit all your interests into your persona.
        So much better to just create a *plausable* persona history, and then
        just do what you want to do!

        Jerusha
        -----
        Susan Farmer
        sfarmer@...
        University of Tennessee
      • Giudo di Niccolo Brunelleschi
        Message 3 of 8 , Jun 30, 2006
          > Oh, honey; you don't have to fit all your interests into your persona.
          > So much better to just create a *plausable* persona history, and then
          > just do what you want to do!
          >
          > Jerusha

          Exactly. I started with a main persona and let him travel to "explore
          and learn". I've since gotten crazy enough to have (4)
          personas...which each seem to have their own thing they do now.

          Giudo di Niccolo Brunelleschi
          (or is that Mishka Lamanov)
          (or is that Jedidiah Glasmon)
          (or is that Jibril al-`Attar)
        • Dianna McCleary
          Message 4 of 8 , Jun 30, 2006
            --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, "Susan B. Farmer" <sfarmer@...>
            wrote:

            > Oh, honey; you don't have to fit all your interests into your
            persona.
            > So much better to just create a *plausable* persona history, and then
            > just do what you want to do!
            >
            > Jerusha

            LOL!
            Ok, so I'm already getting a little hardcore...oops.

            I just didn't want to get too far away from plausible, but then again
            I guess a lot of people might not even know if I was. Silly me. I'll
            just go with what makes me happy then guys.

            But if anybody out there is really up on this "for the record", I'd
            still love to hear from you...

            Thanks to you and our brother with sca multiple personality syndrom
            (tongue firmly in cheek)...
            Message 5 of 8 , Jun 30, 2006
              > Thanks to you and our brother with sca multiple personality syndrom
              > (tongue firmly in cheek)...

              I thought it was Multiple Persona Disorder? Oh well...*LOL*

              But yes...I've only got Giudo somewhat fleshed out. His story can be
              found on my SCA page:
              http://www.geocities.com/purplellamaboi/giudo.html

              In that persona story, I've got the start of how Mishka Lamanov comes
              into being. I just need to work out the story for Jedidiah and Jibril.
              But on the plus side, I know what they each do:

              * Giudo is a Florentine apothecary by trade who takes on his brother's
              merchant route.
              * Mishka is a spice and textile merchant in Kiev, who has this thing
              for watching foreign Courts.
              * Jedidiah is a London glassworker who has this nasty tendency to get
              into pub brawls.
              * Jibril is an Arabic nomad...a "spicer" or "druggist" who has been
              forced to fight for his freedom.

              This leaves me open to fill in my SCA interests to whichever
              persona(s) that interest works for: costuming (all), glasswork
              (Jedidiah), heraldry (Mishka), herbalism (all but Jedidiah), rapier
              combat (Jedidah), and target archery (all?). Though I've left it open
              that if I ever get up the gumption to do so, I have Jibril there to
              take on the "warrior" role of armored combat.

              I've got a lot more work to do to flesh them all out...but it's been
              fun learning about each of the regions and cultures. It's been even
              more fun trying to figure out what would or would not work for each
              persona.

              Giudo di Niccolo (et al)
            • Kimiko Small
              Message 6 of 8 , Jun 30, 2006
                Hi Dianna,

                On Knights of the Garter, that was the highest Knightly Honor given in England, and as far as I've seen during the 16th century (my preferred time period), it was only given to men of rank, not women. And usually the man had to be in very good graces with the Monarch, or was a visiting Monarch of another realm that the English Monarch wanted to create good relations with. I am not sure when women were finally granted arms under this Knighthood.

                Hmmm found a site that lists all those invested into the knighthood, starting in 1348. Yep, all men until the first woman is invested as:
                "838bis (app 3.6.1910) Mary, Queen Consort. Daughter of Francis, Duke of Teck. Married George V. "
                http://www.velde.org/topics/orders/garterlist.htm

                hth,

                Kimiko

                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                Joane Silvertoppe
                B.Nordwache, K.Caid

                Dianna McCleary <DIANNAMAC21@...> wrote:
                The Knights of the Garter also
                included women...but I am wondering if that was just a "social
                service" sort of award and not true Knighthood, persay.

              • Maria
                Message 7 of 8 , Jul 1, 2006
                  Another thing you want to do is make sure there isn't a group of Templars in your area. You really don't want to claim to be a Templar if there's a group in your area. We have a small group here in the Houston area.

                  And as far as I can find out, the only people inducted into the Templars were men. There were no women in the templars, they were basically monks who fight.

                  In Service to the Dream,
                  Lady Elizabeta Maria dei Medici
                  Maria Buchanan
                  Hospitaler - Barony of the Stargate
                  Hospitaler - Shire of Gate's Edge
                  281-433-0347

                  Message 8 of 8 , Jul 1, 2006
                    You guys are just great...thanks so much for all of the replies!!

                    Dianna