Household question

  • Troy Petersen
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 27, 2006
      What are the requirements for forming a household within the SCA. I was
      hoping to form a household consisting basically of my wife (received her AOA
      this past weekend) my mother in law (ditto the AOA) and a couple of friends.
      Do you have to apply to start a household, is there a minimum number of
      member required (as in ECS)?

      --
      Troy Petersen
      aka Symon de Ipswich

      Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
      � I will either find a way or make one. -Unknown-

    • Giudo di Niccolo Brunelleschi
      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 27, 2006
        Greetings Symon!

        There are no requirements for forming a Household, as Households are
        not officially sanctioned or chartered by the SCA or Crowns. They are
        very much an informal part of how many people play this game.

        Households can consist of anyone and center around just about any
        theme. The most common Households would be:
        1) A Lord, his Lady, and their children (and extended family and friends).
        2) A Peer and their associates (and often their families).
        3) A fighting Household...organized as a fighting unit for foreign Wars.
        4) A service Household...organized to offer a specific service. [[This
        gets blurry with chartered Guilds though...like a Waterbearers
        Guild...or like the Calontir Soup Kitchen.]]

        In essence, make your Household what you want it to be. It's up to
        you on just how formal or informal you like to have things...and it'll
        be up to you on who you claim as part of your "Family".

        Giudo di Niccolo

        On 6/27/06, Troy Petersen <symondeipswich@...> wrote:
        > What are the requirements for forming a household within the SCA. I was
        > hoping to form a household consisting basically of my wife (received her AOA
        > this past weekend) my mother in law (ditto the AOA) and a couple of friends.
        > Do you have to apply to start a household, is there a minimum number of
        > member required (as in ECS)?
      • Sara L Uckelman
        Message 3 of 8 , Jun 27, 2006
          Quoth "Troy Petersen":
          > What are the requirements for forming a household within the SCA. I was
          > hoping to form a household consisting basically of my wife (received her AO=
          > this past weekend) my mother in law (ditto the AOA) and a couple of friends=
          > .
          > Do you have to apply to start a household, is there a minimum number of
          > member required (as in ECS)?

          Households are completely unregulated by the SCA. They have no
          official status, and hence no requirements. Go right ahead!

          -Aryanhwy

          --
          vita sine literis mors est
          http://www.ellipsis.cx/~liana/
          Message 4 of 8 , Jun 27, 2006
            There are no requirements, since households (unlike shires, baronies,
            kingdoms) are not officially recognized by the SCA. If you want to tonight,
            you and your wife could sit down and say that you want to be the Household
            of Rockinthenightaway and POOF! you'd be a household.

            The only thing that the SCA will recognize in regards to households are
            names, devices, and badges which should be approved by the college of
            heralds.

            ~Gintaras~

            >From: "Troy Petersen" <symondeipswich@...>
            >To: "SCA Newcomers List" <scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com>
            >Subject: [SCA Newcomers] Household question
            >Date: Tue, 27 Jun 2006 09:53:16 -0400
            >
            >What are the requirements for forming a household within the SCA. I was
            >hoping to form a household consisting basically of my wife (received her
            >AOA
            >this past weekend) my mother in law (ditto the AOA) and a couple of
            >friends.
            >Do you have to apply to start a household, is there a minimum number of
            >member required (as in ECS)?
            >
            >--
            >Troy Petersen
            >aka Symon de Ipswich
            >Barony of Sacred Stone
            >Canton of Hindscroft
            >http://troy27265.tripod.com/
            >yahoo messanger: symon_de_ipswich
            >
            >Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
            > � I will either find a way or make one. -Unknown-

            >Yahoo! Groups Links

          • Iustinos Tekton called Justin
            Message 5 of 8 , Jul 1, 2006
              On Tuesday 27 June 2006 10:30, Giudo di Niccolo Brunelleschi wrote:
              > In essence,  make your Household what you want it to be. It's up to
              > you on just how formal or informal you like to have things...and it'll
              > be up to you on who you claim as part of your "Family".

              Households can also just be a group of friends who like to spend time
              together. My household, Erevnite Asteron, is an example. Milica and I
              formed it back in about 1992, with just the two of us, then invited a few
              friends to join. Very informal, no ambitions of growing large or powerful,
              and not actively recruiting...just having a good time together. Photos
              and such online here: http://erevnite.4th.com/ if you're curious.

              Again, this is just one example. Households that tend toward the other end
              of the size and formality spectrum in my area include The Great Dark Horde,
              The Dark Horde Moritu, Darkyard, Vexellarius (whose name I may be misspelling),
              Stahlgeist, and several others.

              Your household can be anything you want it to be, as long as the members
              agree on the rules of the game. When you're at an SCA function, of course,
              you have to also follow SCA rules, but within that umbrella there are no
              special restrictions for households. Have fun!

              keys fesswise reversed sable.

            • Janet
              Message 6 of 8 , Jul 4, 2006
                ROFL...after a year or two on this list, I just
                realized that all those dots, and x's and stuff at the
                beginning of Justin's signature are swords....der. I
                was sitting here at work looking blankly at my
                computer screen for a moment and I was like, "wait a
                minute, those are swords?!?!?! How cool! How the heck
                did I never notice those before?" Just thought someone
                else might find that slightly funny.
                ~Isabel
                Falcon's Quarry
                Middle Kingdom

                > ()xxxx[]::::::::::::::::::>
                > <::::::::::::::::::[]xxxx()
                > Maistor Iustinos Tekton called Justin (Scott
                > Courtney)
                > Gules, on a bezant a fleam sable and on a chief
                > dovetailed Or two
                > keys fesswise reversed sable.
                >
                > Marche of Alderford (Canton, Ohio)
                > http://4th.com/sca/justin/
                > justin@... PGP Public Key at
                > http://4th.com/keys/justin.pubkey

                http://mail.yahoo.com
              • Susan B. Farmer
                Message 7 of 8 , Jul 4, 2006
                  Quoting Janet <HI_it_is_me@...>:

                  > ROFL...after a year or two on this list, I just
                  > realized that all those dots, and x's and stuff at the
                  > beginning of Justin's signature are swords....der. I
                  > was sitting here at work looking blankly at my
                  > computer screen for a moment and I was like, "wait a
                  > minute, those are swords?!?!?! How cool! How the heck
                  > did I never notice those before?" Just thought someone
                  > else might find that slightly funny.

                  ROTFLOL! I think I've been on the list longer than that, and I didn't
                  notice it till you pointed it out!

                  Jerusha
                  > ~Isabel
                  > Falcon's Quarry
                  > Middle Kingdom
                  >
                  >> ()xxxx[]::::::::::::::::::>
                  >> <::::::::::::::::::[]xxxx()
                  >> Maistor Iustinos Tekton called Justin (Scott
                  >> Courtney)
                  >> Gules, on a bezant a fleam sable and on a chief
                  >> dovetailed Or two
                  >> keys fesswise reversed sable.
                  >>
                  >> Marche of Alderford (Canton, Ohio)
                  >> http://4th.com/sca/justin/
                  >> justin@... PGP Public Key at
                  >> http://4th.com/keys/justin.pubkey

                  -----
                  Susan Farmer
                  sfarmer@...
                  University of Tennessee
                • Iustinos Tekton called Justin
                  Message 8 of 8 , Jul 4, 2006
                    On Tuesday 04 July 2006 22:15, Janet wrote:
                    > ROFL...after a year or two on this list, I just
                    > realized that all those dots, and x's and stuff at the
                    > beginning of Justin's signature are swords....der. I
                    > was sitting here at work looking blankly at my
                    > computer screen for a moment and I was like, "wait a
                    > minute, those are swords?!?!?! How cool! How the heck
                    > did I never notice those before?" Just thought someone
                    > else might find that slightly funny.

                    I can't take credit for the idea, but I'm glad you liked them. They are
                    adapted from an original design by Mistress Rosamund Beauvisage, who
                    kindly allowed me to imitate her work. I adapted the design slightly to
                    my own taste, but the concept was hers.

                    keys fesswise reversed sable.