Having a problem researching....

  • stephanienkirk
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 22, 2006
      Hello,
      So I am running into wall after wall for trying to research my persona.
      Basically so far this is what I have .... I picked Celtic and my first
      name is Lasairiona.... I having trouble finding specifics on
      attire/name/areas/time frames for myself as I haven't picked a time
      frame either since I was going for the clothes look first haha. Could
      anyone possibly help me out a little....
    • Sean OBrien
      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 23, 2006
        Hi, there! My name is Aodh (prounced EE, AY) O'Hoolighan. I am from the greatest kingdom in the known world, Ansteorra! I live in the Barony of Northkeep. I am an Irishman from Galway City, Ireland. I am a fisherman and farmer. My family and I fled Ireland when the Normans began invading our great country, so I was introduced to several different countries and their ways and works. I am fairly good at finding information for people and would be happy to assist you in the hunt for specifics. I am am at your service. All I ask is that you give an Irishman a hand one day!

        With Respect,
        Aodh O'Hoolighan
        m.k.a. Susan

        stephanienkirk <stephanienkirk@...> wrote:
        Hello,
        So I am running into wall after wall for trying to research my persona.
        Basically so far this is what I have .... I picked Celtic and my first
        name is Lasairiona.... I having trouble finding specifics on
        attire/name/areas/time frames for myself as I haven't picked a time
        frame either since I was going for the clothes look first haha. Could
        anyone possibly help me out a little....

      • Coblaith Mhuimhneach
        Message 3 of 7 , Jun 23, 2006
          stephanienkirk wrote:
          > . . .I am running into wall after wall for trying to research my
          > persona.. . .I picked Celtic and my first name is Lasairiona.... I
          > having trouble finding specifics on attire/name/areas/time frames for
          > myself as I haven't picked a time frame either since I was going for
          > the clothes look first haha.

          Well, if you're going for any period in the core SCA millennium
          (600-1600 C.E.), "Celtic" isn't going to be a helpful term for
          searches--at least, not for reliable information.

          The medieval cultures most commonly considered to be descended of those
          people scholars group as "Celtic" based on their material culture
          include the Irish Gaels, the Scottish Gaels, the Manx, and certain
          groups in Brittany, Cornwall, and Wales.

          Reconstructing History <http://reconstructinghistory.com/> has a good
          overview of Irish and Scottish Gaelic clothing through our period. I
          haven't seen much on Manx, Cornish, or Breton clothing. The only info
          on Welsh clothing I've seen is at
          <http://heatherrosejones.com/welshfaqs/clothing.html>.

          The Medieval Names Archive <http://www.s-gabriel.org/names/> is the
          place to go for names. Read the articles on how to choose a period
          name, then check out the guide(s) for the culture(s) you're
          considering. "Lasairfhíona"
          <http://www.s-gabriel.org/names/mari/AnnalsIndex/Feminine/
          Lasairfhiona.shtml> is documented as an Irish Gaelic name from the 13th
          to the 16th century, and might be justifiable as a Scottish Gaelic name
          on that basis. (Read the guide to Scottish names to find out.)

          If you decide to go Irish Gaelic, I should be able to help you find
          some additional resources; just drop me a line. Good luck, and welcome
          to the Society!

          Coblaith Mhuimhneach
          Barony of Bryn Gwlad
          Kingdom of Ansteorra
          <mailto:Coblaith@...>
        • Sara L Uckelman
          Message 4 of 7 , Jun 23, 2006
            Quoth "stephanienkirk":
            > Hello,
            > So I am running into wall after wall for trying to research my persona.
            > Basically so far this is what I have .... I picked Celtic and my first
            > name is Lasairiona.... I having trouble finding specifics on
            > attire/name/areas/time frames for myself as I haven't picked a time
            > frame either since I was going for the clothes look first haha. Could

            Greetings!

            <Lasairiona> is a modern Irish Gaelic name which was spelled
            <Lasairfhiona> during the latter part of our period (c. 1200 to
            c. 1700); the name can be found as early as 1239, and then
            throughout until the end of our period. [1] Based on this, I'd
            recommend looking at chosing a period and place sometime in
            the 13th to 16th centuries in Ireland, since that's when
            <Lasairfhiona> is an appropriate choice.

            -Aryanhwy

            [1] Mari neyn Brian "Index of Names in Irish Annals: Feminine Names"
            http://www.s-gabriel.org/names/mari/AnnalsIndex/Feminine/

            --
            vita sine literis mors est
            http://www.ellipsis.cx/~liana/

              Message 6 of 7 , Jun 24, 2006
                Quoth Kathrine HomHaun:
                > Thank-tou for your offer. I'm Maeve de Chesne, my first name origanated in =
                > 13th century Wales and my last name originated in 13th century Scotland. Th=
                > at is about as far a i've gotten with my persona. I am having a hard time g=
                > athering information on what women in that day in age did. Can you possibly=
                > help me find out? I would be eternally grateful. I am in the Kingdom of T=
                > rimaris. My thanks and service is yours,

                If you're developing a Scottish persona, you definitely need to
                check out http://www.medievalscotland.org/. It has articles on
                names, history, clothing, languages, heraldry, literature, and
                lots more.

                -Aryanhwy

                --
                vita sine literis mors est
                http://www.ellipsis.cx/~liana/
                Message 7 of 7 , Jun 29, 2006
                  --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, "stephanienkirk"
                  <stephanienkirk@...> wrote:

                  > Hello,
                  > So I am running into wall after wall for trying to research my
                  persona.
                  > Basically so far this is what I have .... I picked Celtic and my
                  first
                  > name is Lasairiona.... I having trouble finding specifics on
                  > attire/name/areas/time frames for myself as I haven't picked a time
                  > frame either since I was going for the clothes look first haha. Could
                  > anyone possibly help me out a little....

                  Thank everyone so very much for your help in pointing me in the right
                  direction I greatly appreciate it all.