About weapons

  • Troy Petersen
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 22, 2006
      I have read through the SCA weapons Standards, and didn't see anything
      listing the min/max length of a single handed sword. Did I miss it? Just
      curious.

      --
      Troy Petersen
      aka Symon de Ipswich

      Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
      � I will either find a way or make one. -Unknown-

    • Signora Beatrice
      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 22, 2006
        Greetings from Beatrice.

        Nope. There's a max length for polearms and for mass weapons, but for
        single edged one-handed weapons, there's no regulatory length.

        I've seen people in combat with daggers (less than 1' blade length), and
        all sorts of variations on length for swords. Typical seems to be around
        3', but that's a guess from memory. Try some out at your local fighter
        practice and see what you like.

        --- Troy Petersen <symondeipswich@...> wrote:

        > I have read through the SCA weapons Standards, and didn't see anything
        > listing the min/max length of a single handed sword. Did I miss it? Just
        > curious.
        >
        > --
        > Troy Petersen
        > aka Symon de Ipswich
        > Barony of Sacred Stone
        > Canton of Hindscroft
        > http://troy27265.tripod.com/
        > yahoo messanger: symon_de_ipswich
        >
        > Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
        > — I will either find a way or make one. -Unknown-

        http://mail.yahoo.com
      • David Roland
        Message 3 of 7 , Jun 22, 2006
          Remember that there are Society Standards and Kingdom Standards.

          You can ussually find a copy of your Kingdom's Standards linked to
          your Kingdom's Knight's Marshall's site in some form.

          I highly recommend you check there for your Kingdom as standards DO
          vary from Kingdom to Kingdom.

          Also the question must be asked.

          Heavy fighting or Rapier?

          With the new Cut and Thrust rules for Rapier this question does need
          to be asked. I, like others, assume you mean for heavy.

          If you are asking for rapier the directions above are likely still
          valid just look under Kingdom Rapier Marshal, which in most kingdoms
          is under the Knight's Marshal.

          Either way good luck and chekc YOUR KINGDOM'S HANDBOOK.

          Ian the Green
          Province of Tree Girt Sea
          Region of the Midlands
          Middle Kingdom

          --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, "Troy Petersen"
          <symondeipswich@...> wrote:

          > I have read through the SCA weapons Standards, and didn't see
          anything
          > listing the min/max length of a single handed sword. Did I miss it?
          Just
          > curious.
          >
          > --
          > Troy Petersen
          > aka Symon de Ipswich
          > Barony of Sacred Stone
          > Canton of Hindscroft
          > http://troy27265.tripod.com/
          > yahoo messanger: symon_de_ipswich
          >
          > Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
          > — I will either find a way or make one. -Unknown-

        • Keith Howard
          Message 4 of 7 , Jun 22, 2006
            I know this doesn't answer the min max question but I know from experience
            that the ideal sword length with vary from person to person. The best way
            for someone to find out their ideal sword length is to let their sword arm
            dangle to their side while holding the sword and the tip should just barely
            drag the ground.

            Aengus mac Farlane

            > .

          • Iustinos Tekton called Justin
            Message 5 of 7 , Jul 1, 2006
              On Thursday 22 June 2006 12:15, Signora Beatrice wrote:
              > Nope.  There's a max length for polearms and for mass weapons, but for
              > single edged one-handed weapons, there's no regulatory length.

              Be sure to check your kingdom rules, though, as some kingdoms do impose
              limits.

              keys fesswise reversed sable.

            • tuamkoh
              Message 6 of 7 , Jul 5, 2006
                Symon,

                In Atlantia there doesn't seem to be any written rule on sword
                length, as long as you can control it properly while wielding it
                any "reasonable" length is acceptable. My advice, If your making a
                new sword, make it long, try it in practice and shorten as needed,
                as its harder to regrow the rattan if you've cut off too much.

                Tuam Arlechinno
                Canton Of Salisburie Glen
                Barony of Sacred Stone
                Atlantia

                "Laugh and your friends laugh with you, Die and your friends laugh
                at you."

                Message 7 of 7 , Jul 5, 2006
                  Thank you

                  On 7/5/06, tuamkoh <tuamkoh@...> wrote:

                  > Symon,
                  >
                  > In Atlantia there doesn't seem to be any written rule on sword
                  > length, as long as you can control it properly while wielding it
                  > any "reasonable" length is acceptable. My advice, If your making a
                  > new sword, make it long, try it in practice and shorten as needed,
                  > as its harder to regrow the rattan if you've cut off too much.
                  >
                  > Tuam Arlechinno
                  > Canton Of Salisburie Glen
                  > Barony of Sacred Stone
                  > Atlantia
                  >
                  > "Laugh and your friends laugh with you, Die and your friends laugh
                  > at you."
                  >
                  > --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com <scanewcomers%40yahoogroups.com>,
                  > "Troy Petersen"
                  > <symondeipswich@...> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > I have read through the SCA weapons Standards, and didn't see
                  > anything
                  > > listing the min/max length of a single handed sword. Did I miss
                  > it? Just
                  > > curious.
                  > >
                  > > --
                  > > Troy Petersen
                  > > aka Symon de Ipswich
                  > > Barony of Sacred Stone
                  > > Canton of Hindscroft
                  > > http://troy27265.tripod.com/
                  > > yahoo messanger: symon_de_ipswich
                  > >
                  > > Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
                  > > � I will either find a way or make one. -Unknown-

                  YIS