Re: [SCA Newcomers] Thinking of persona

  • Sara L Uckelman
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 22, 2006
      Quoth "James":

      There is - it's at oanda.sca.org

      > I would hate to
      > do this and find out I can not register it. Would using Odhr=E1n Seward
      > be completely wrong?

      <Odhran> is a Gaelic name, whereas <Seward> is English. In our period,
      languages weren't combined in the same name like this - if you lived in
      Ireland among Gaelic speaking people, you'd have a wholly Gaelic name,
      and if you lived in Ireland or in England among English you'd have a
      wholly Gaelic name.

      If your main interest is to use a form of <Seward> for your surname,
      I recommend you pick an English-language given name (you can find
      a number of articles on English names at
      http://www.s-gabriel.org/names/english.shtml). <Odhran> was the name
      of a number of early period Irish saints, but I haven't found any
      evidence yet that it remained in use as late as when the English
      first came into Ireland.

      -Aryanhwy

      --
      vita sine literis mors est