Re: [SCA Newcomers] As long as we're talking persona....

  • Iustinos Tekton called Justin
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 21, 2006
      On Wednesday 21 June 2006 16:22, Kristine Elliott wrote:
      > My husband, who started fighting over 25 years ago, maintains that it is
      > impossible for authentic 12th century and earlier medieval armor to meet the
      > current armor standards.

      I haven't researched it deeply enough to say "impossible", but I would certainly
      go so far as to say "extremely difficult". My persona is 11th century Byzantine,
      and I am working on period-style armour as an upgrade to my current non-specific
      armour. I can make something that is stylistically similar to the authentic, but
      I've never seen documentation for Byzantine armour of that period that would
      pass my inspection as an SCA Marshal without modification. (If someone knows
      of such a design, please let me know, as I'd be very interested!)

      So, I would tend to agree with your husband on this point. Many people with
      early-period personae make later-period armour for this reason.

      keys fesswise reversed sable.