Re: [SCA Newcomers] [MODERATOR] Virus warning "new graphic site"

  • Iustinos Tekton called Justin
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 13, 2006
      On Monday 12 June 2006 20:58, Aurora Ellis wrote:

      > DO NOT open email "New Graphic Site" it's a virus.
      [...]
      >   This has effected a couple groups I belong too....not mine that I am
      >   aware of.

      The SCANewcomers group is configured to automatically remove attachments,
      precisely to prevent this situation. This has been true of this group for
      as long as I've been moderating it.

      The virus is for real, but we should be okay here as long as that YahooGroup
      administrative setting works as advertised. I run Linux, so what works as a
      virus in Windows just looks like an unknown binary attachment to me, and is
      clearly visible. I haven't seen any of those come in from this list.

      For future reference, although I don't mind Aurora's post here (since it is
      a real virus), there are a *ton* of virus hoaxes out there that fool a lot
      of people. In general, if you are wanting to send out a virus warning to
      this list, I would appreciate it if you would send it to me first so that
      we can verify whether or not it's a hoax. You can reach me by sending mail to
      scanewcomers-owner [at] yahoogroups.com. Once we've validated that the threat
      is real -- and that it actually applies to this list -- I can send out the
      message under the "moderator" auspices so folks know it's official. Everyone
      benefits, and we avoid the risk of having virus hoax messages posted here.

      Again, no criticism of Aurora intended here. She passed along useful info,
      having no preexisting instructions to the contrary. I'm looking at the next
      such situation, not this one. :-)

      Justin
      Who is very glad he runs Linux and doesn't have to deal with this stuff much.

      keys fesswise reversed sable.