VIRUS!! DO NOT OPE "NEW GRAPHIC SITE" EMAIL....

  • Aurora Ellis
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 12, 2006
      Namaste everyone..

      DO NOT open email "New Graphic Site" it's a virus.. And many yahoo
      accounts are being hacked into! MANY Yahoo individual
      email accounts & groups are being hit. Virus also sends nasty posts to
      groups from members ID names!! So everyone may want to check all of
      there groups to see if your yahoo ID is being used.

      This has effected a couple groups I belong too....not mine that I am aware of.

      Blessings
      Aurora

      Mrs. Aurora Ellis, Owner
      Medieval Apothecary
      Sherwood, Arkansas
      (501) 833-3130
      Website www.medievalapothecary.net

    • Iustinos Tekton called Justin
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 13, 2006
        On Monday 12 June 2006 20:58, Aurora Ellis wrote:

        > DO NOT open email "New Graphic Site" it's a virus.
        [...]
        >   This has effected a couple groups I belong too....not mine that I am
        >   aware of.

        The SCANewcomers group is configured to automatically remove attachments,
        precisely to prevent this situation. This has been true of this group for
        as long as I've been moderating it.

        The virus is for real, but we should be okay here as long as that YahooGroup
        administrative setting works as advertised. I run Linux, so what works as a
        virus in Windows just looks like an unknown binary attachment to me, and is
        clearly visible. I haven't seen any of those come in from this list.

        For future reference, although I don't mind Aurora's post here (since it is
        a real virus), there are a *ton* of virus hoaxes out there that fool a lot
        of people. In general, if you are wanting to send out a virus warning to
        this list, I would appreciate it if you would send it to me first so that
        we can verify whether or not it's a hoax. You can reach me by sending mail to
        scanewcomers-owner [at] yahoogroups.com. Once we've validated that the threat
        is real -- and that it actually applies to this list -- I can send out the
        message under the "moderator" auspices so folks know it's official. Everyone
        benefits, and we avoid the risk of having virus hoax messages posted here.

        Again, no criticism of Aurora intended here. She passed along useful info,
        having no preexisting instructions to the contrary. I'm looking at the next
        such situation, not this one. :-)

        Justin
        Who is very glad he runs Linux and doesn't have to deal with this stuff much.

        keys fesswise reversed sable.