New-ish One Here

  • Donna Niles
    Message 1 of 14 , Jun 2, 2006
      Greetings,

      I joined the SCA last October and attended my first camping event last
      weekend (Sapphire). I learned two lessons. First, if you are
      bothered by heat, do not use garb from areas that never or hardly ever
      reach above 75-80, especially if it will be near 90 and muggy!
      Secondly, SCA event camping is SO not like regualr camping, you know
      in the woods, dark and quiet.
      We had a great time but had to cut our stay short because of the heat
      even while wearing linen underdress and a tunic dress. Can anyone
      recomend a type of garb for ladies that is not multiple layers and
      originated for areas as mentioned above? I thought about middle
      eastern, but my concern is that I am such a Northern Europe type of
      lass (redish hair, fair skin, and freckles!), that it really does not
      suit me. Any advice would be welcome.

      Yours In Service,
      Gwenllian
    • Keith Howard
      Message 2 of 14 , Jun 2, 2006
        I know several ladies who wear what I believe is called a "chitin" dress or
        a bog dress. Very simple to make and comfortable if you cheat and use a
        cotton instead of a wool. It has what I would consider a very early period
        look to it. I am sorry I can't post pics of it but I will try to describe it
        as best as I can. Take a piece of 60" fabric(I usually see it done in plaid
        cotton) and fold it lengthwise so you have a piece of 30" fabric basically.
        I will try to describe making the dress based on how the fabric is layed
        out, so lay it out with the 2 open ends together at the top of the fabric.
        Find a measurement from the top of your shoulders to mid calf and add 12
        inches, cut the fabric to this length. From the left hand side start about
        12"in and sew the 2 open ends together down to about mid thigh or knee
        depending on how big you want the slit. (basically making a big tube). The
        left side of the tube will end up being the top of the dress and the right
        will be the bottom. On the bottom of the left sied cut a slit 12" to match
        the one on the top and seem where you cut it so it won't frey. On the bottom
        of the right side cut a slit the same length as the one on the top of the
        right side and seem it so it won't frey. Now on the left side you should
        have two 12" flaps (one on the top layer and one on the bottom). Fold those
        over so that they will be on the outside of the dress when it is finished.
        Along the left hand edge you will sew two spots about 1" or 2" wide center
        them up and leave enough room between them for your head because between
        them is your head hole. Finished. put the dress on so that the 2 small areas
        you sewed on the left hand edge rest on your shoulders add a belt, sandles
        and whatever jewelry you like. Don't forget the sun screen. As an
        alternative, the area where you sewed the 2 small spots on the left hand
        edge you can not sew but put in button holes and button as I did for my wife
        when she was nursing. The dress is comfortable and cool and the plaid is
        very forgiving if you don't have what some may consider the perfect figure.

        I know it is hard to figure out just from reading it but it is simple to
        make and I hope you were able to decipher some of my rambling. Best of luck
        at future events and I hope it helped.

        Aengus mac Farlane
        On 6/2/06, Donna Niles <dniles@...> wrote:

        > Greetings,
        >
        > I joined the SCA last October and attended my first camping event last
        > weekend (Sapphire). I learned two lessons. First, if you are
        > bothered by heat, do not use garb from areas that never or hardly ever
        > reach above 75-80, especially if it will be near 90 and muggy!
        > Secondly, SCA event camping is SO not like regualr camping, you know
        > in the woods, dark and quiet.
        > We had a great time but had to cut our stay short because of the heat
        > even while wearing linen underdress and a tunic dress. Can anyone
        > recomend a type of garb for ladies that is not multiple layers and
        > originated for areas as mentioned above? I thought about middle
        > eastern, but my concern is that I am such a Northern Europe type of
        > lass (redish hair, fair skin, and freckles!), that it really does not
        > suit me. Any advice would be welcome.
        >
        > Yours In Service,
        > Gwenllian

      • Steve K. Rourke
        Message 3 of 14 , Jun 2, 2006
          I have some instructions on making theses from when I was a hospitaler, and
          I will add them to the group's files in just a few, and it even has basic
          drawings as well :-).

          Domhnall
> [...]
          > On 6/2/06, Donna Niles <dniles@...> wrote:
          > >
          > > Greetings,
          > >
          > > I joined the SCA last October and attended my first camping event last
          > > weekend (Sapphire). I learned two lessons. First, if you are
          > > bothered by heat, do not use garb from areas that never or hardly ever
          > > reach above 75-80, especially if it will be near 90 and muggy!
          > > Secondly, SCA event camping is SO not like regualr camping, you know
          > > in the woods, dark and quiet.
          > > We had a great time but had to cut our stay short because of the heat
          > > even while wearing linen underdress and a tunic dress. Can anyone
          > > recomend a type of garb for ladies that is not multiple layers and
          > > originated for areas as mentioned above? I thought about middle
          > > eastern, but my concern is that I am such a Northern Europe type of
          > > lass (redish hair, fair skin, and freckles!), that it really does not

          s.com?subject=Unsubscribe>

          > Yahoo! Groups Links
          >

          > --

        • dohmnall_oruairc
          Message 4 of 14 , Jun 2, 2006
            > I have some instructions on making theses from when I was a
            hospitaler, and
            > I will add them to the group's files in just a few, and it even has
            basic
            > drawings as well :-).
            >
            > Domhnall

            I was about to upload the file and came to realize I had already
            uploaded it a while back.

            Domhnall
          • Lisa
            Message 5 of 14 , Jun 2, 2006
              I just found this bog dress photo online:

              http://www.agelessfashions.com/html/ew-garb/ewpepl.htm

              Would this be appropriate to 10th century Ireland??

              Lisa

              On 6/2/06, Donna Niles wrote:

              > Greetings,
              >
              > I joined the SCA last October and attended my first camping event last
              > weekend (Sapphire). I learned two lessons. First, if you are
              > bothered by heat, do not use garb from areas that never or hardly ever
              > reach above 75-80, especially if it will be near 90 and muggy!
              > Secondly, SCA event camping is SO not like regualr camping, you know
              > in the woods, dark and quiet.
              > We had a great time but had to cut our stay short because of the heat
              > even while wearing linen underdress and a tunic dress. Can anyone
              > recomend a type of garb for ladies that is not multiple layers and
              > originated for areas as mentioned above? I thought about middle
              > eastern, but my concern is that I am such a Northern Europe type of
              > lass (redish hair, fair skin, and freckles!), that it really does not
              > suit me. Any advice would be welcome.
              >
              > Yours In Service,
              > Gwenllian

              > Service .

              Yahoo! Groups Links

              And then I asked him with my eyes to ask again yes and then he asked me would I yes and his heart was going like mad and yes I said yes I will yes...James Joyce

            • Susan B. Farmer
              Message 6 of 14 , Jun 2, 2006
                Quoting Donna Niles <dniles@...>:

                > Greetings,

                *snip*

                > We had a great time but had to cut our stay short because of the heat
                > even while wearing linen underdress and a tunic dress. Can anyone
                > recomend a type of garb for ladies that is not multiple layers and
                > originated for areas as mentioned above? I thought about middle
                > eastern, but my concern is that I am such a Northern Europe type of
                > lass (redish hair, fair skin, and freckles!), that it really does not
                > suit me. Any advice would be welcome.

                Oh, honey, don't let that stop you if Middle Eastern is what you want to
                wear. You see every type of "humanoid" in every type of "persona" that
                you can come up with. Caucasians with Japanese personas,
                Asian-Americans with Viking Personas ...

                Wear what you're comfortable in!

                Jerusha (who has heat issues too ...)
                -----
                Susan Farmer
                sfarmer@...
                University of Tennessee
              • Milica of Varna
                Message 7 of 14 , Jun 2, 2006
                  I long ago started wearing harum pants and tunics at Pennsic except for court
                  and dressier events. SO much more comfortable! (Says the redheaded, freckled,
                  nordic type). If the heat keeps you from enjoying the event, find a way to
                  stay cool. Everyone else will be doing the same.

                  Except for that one costume laurel who seems to have the ability to wear seven
                  layers of velvet in the heat of August! :-)

                  Milica

                  On Friday 02 June 2006 11:15, Susan B. Farmer wrote:
                  > Oh, honey, don't let that stop you if Middle Eastern is what you want to
                  > wear.  You see every type of "humanoid" in every type of "persona" that
                  > you can come up with.  Caucasians with Japanese personas,
                  > Asian-Americans with Viking Personas ...
                  >
                  > Wear what you're comfortable in!
                  >
                  > Jerusha (who has heat issues too ...)
                  > -----

                  THL Milica of Varna
                  Chronicler, Barony of Brendoken

                • Coblaith Mhuimhneach
                  Message 8 of 14 , Jun 2, 2006
                    Gwenllian asked:
                    > Can anyone recomend a type of garb for ladies that is not multiple
                    > layers and originated for areas [that never or hardly ever reach above
                    > 75-80]?

                    Keith Howard replied:

                    And Lisa said:
                    > I just found this bog dress photo online:
                    >
                    > http://www.agelessfashions.com/html/ew-garb/ewpepl.htm
                    >
                    > Would this be appropriate to 10th century Ireland??

                    The chiton (or peplos) was a popular style of dress in Greece in the
                    Classical Age (which pre-dates not only the Middle Ages but the Roman
                    Empire which preceded them). Other types of clothing similar in
                    appearance were known in continental Europe, at least through most of
                    the life of the Empire. They may or may not have been inspired by the
                    chiton. Early Period, vol. 5, included an article on chitons and their
                    "descendants" <http://www.housebarra.com/EP/ep05/14chiton.html> that
                    might help clarify.

                    Generally, when people say, "bog dress", they're referring to a tube
                    dress
                    <http://www.archaeology.org/online/features/bog/jpegs/huldremose2.jpeg>
                    found near the site from which a female mummy was recovered in
                    Huldremose Bog, in Jutland (Denmark). Huldremose Woman died between
                    the late 2nd and early 4th century C.E., and the dress is thought by
                    many to have been buried with her. It's impossible to say whether, if
                    she wore the dress, it was by itself or as one of several layers of
                    clothing.

                    Something like a peplos and/or the Huldremose gown were probably worn
                    in Ireland at some point, but by the 10th century C.E. were almost
                    certainly gone and forgotten. If you're interested in dressing as an
                    Irish Gael from that period, I recommend you read Finnacán Dub's "Early
                    Gaelic Dress: An Introduction"
                    <http://home.earthlink.net/~masterdarius/Resources/GaelicDress.pdf>.

                    Coblaith Mhuimhneach
                    Barony of Bryn Gwlad
                    Kingdom of Ansteorra
                    <mailto:Coblaith@...>
                  • Kristine Elliott
                    Message 9 of 14 , Jun 2, 2006
                      I have been known (when I was much younger and thinner) to wrap a table
                      cloth around myself, pin it and belt it like a chiton or bog dress and get
                      compliments on my garb. (Did that a few times on a Sunday after dirtying
                      more garb the day before than I had expected to.) You don't need a seam if
                      there is enough overlap on the open side.

                      Scolastica

                      --
                      http://www.geocities.com/souriete/

                      If you can't get rid of them ugly old skeletons in the closet, at least
                      teach
                      'em how to dance funny. Billy C. Wirtz

                    • Lisa
                      Message 10 of 14 , Jun 2, 2006
                        Thank you both for the info.

                        Lisa

                        --
                        http://www.geocities.com/souriete/

                        If you can't get rid of them ugly old skeletons in the closet, at least
                        teach
                        'em how to dance funny. Billy C. Wirtz

                        Yahoo! Groups Links

                        And then I asked him with my eyes to ask again yes and then he asked me would I yes and his heart was going like mad and yes I said yes I will yes...James Joyce

                      • Maria
                        Message 11 of 14 , Jun 3, 2006
                          I wear those peplos style garb all the time in the summer here in Ansteorra. I'm outside of Houston, and let me tell you, they're cool. I'd love to get into that Middle Eastern garb, but I just don't have the figure for it if you know what I mean.

                          Maria

                          Message 12 of 14 , Jun 3, 2006
                            Oh, something else ... If you look really close, you'll notice that in the Roman era (which is admittedly VERY early for us but we do go from 500 which is around the Fall of the Roman Empire) you'll find that women wore what looked like a chitin or peplos (without that little fold over on top) under their togas (or the things like togas that they wore in Rome).

                            Just so you know. You can easily get away with a peplos or chitin in many cultures.

                            Maria

                            Message 13 of 14 , Jun 4, 2006
                              Thanks, Maria.

                              Lisa

                              Message 14 of 14 , Jun 6, 2006
                                In a message dated 6/3/2006 5:30:17 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
                                scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com writes:

                                <<We had a great time but had to cut our stay short because of the heat
                                even while wearing linen underdress and a tunic dress. Can anyone
                                recomend a type of garb for ladies that is not multiple layers and
                                originated for areas as mentioned above?>>

                                What I do to stay reasonably in my 12th century English persona in this
                                situation is to make my overdresses of linen as well, and just wear the overdress
                                so it is only one layer. Soaking your veil with cold water helps a lot, too
                                :-)

                                Lancaster, PA