period silks (was: Need garb help)

  • Coblaith Mhuimhneach
    Message 1 of 9 , May 22, 2006
      On May 22, 2006, at 2:55 AM, Anders Lundgren wrote:
      > . . .I have a question about silk, or precicely the correct type
      > available for the time period. It would be nice to know what kind was
      > available from the year 600 and up to 1600, but the period I am most
      > looking at is 1350.

      Many excellent resources are listed on the Atlantian A&S Links site
      <http://moas.atlantia.sca.org/wsnlinks/index.php?
      action=displaycat&catid=10>, and for general information on clothing
      and textiles, the SCA Garb Yahoo! Group
      <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/SCA-Garb/> is often a good place to
      start.

      Don't forget that time is only half of "period". The "correct type"
      will depend on place, as well. Mediterranean cultures had much more
      access to silk than Scandinavian ones, for instance. If you look for
      information on a particular culture and location, you might be able to
      find a write-up on represented fabrics. I doubt anybody has done
      anything like a comprehensive study of what silks were used where
      across the SCA millennium.

      Wish I could help more. Good luck!

      Coblaith Mhuimhneach
      Barony of Bryn Gwlad