Re: [SCA Newcomers] 3 Newbies trying to get set

  • Janet
    Message 1 of 6 , May 11, 2006
      I'm a brewer, so if your husband has any mead related
      questions, feel free to send them my way.
      ~Isabel
      Acting Chronicler
      Falcon's Quarry
      Middle Kingdom
      hi_it_is_me@...

      --- ladywolft <ladywolft@...> wrote:

      > First off let me say thank you. by reading most of
      > the other posts I
      > have had several questions answered before I even
      > knew them. And the
      > area's group have been great to Shire of Westumbria
      > Kingdom of
      > Calontir. In actualality I have myself, husband 16
      > year old son and a
      > great friend now all getting envolved in the SCA.
      > Huzzah! The past
      > posts have helped a great deal and the ones I have
      > had answered by
      > Westumbria have too. However I know that I am
      > looking at a personna
      > that is Irish with the name perhaps being Caitriona,
      > Caiterina (
      > mundane name is Trina) or something I Have liked in
      > the past Annabla.
      > however most of the sites for the clothing is
      > sketches or very poor
      > pictures that is too hard to tell if the style of
      > dress I like is in
      > what period. My husband is a Davidson in mundane
      > and would like to
      > base his personna off the Davidson Clan (Scottish)
      > but wants to make
      > sure it is proper. We have been told he can but not
      > to use the Clan
      > Badge. And he is wanting to start brewing so thought
      > he'd put them
      > together. Maybe a couple beginner scottish meades?
      > And last... my son
      > is fascinated with (and his personna will be one
      > =))jesters. I have
      > been given a couple of great sites for him but where
      > are good sites for
      > costumes time periods and names...?? Thanks so much
      > I already know you
      > all help as much as you can.

      http://mail.yahoo.com
    • Sara L Uckelman
      Message 2 of 6 , May 12, 2006
        Quoth "ladywolft":
        > Calontir. In actualality I have myself, husband 16 year old son and a=20
        > great friend now all getting envolved in the SCA. Huzzah! The past=20

        Wonderful! It's nice to be able to join already knowing someone. :)

        > Westumbria have too. However I know that I am looking at a personna=20
        > that is Irish with the name perhaps being Caitriona, Caiterina (=20
        > mundane name is Trina) or something I Have liked in the past Annabla.=20=20

        Both of these names show up in the medieval Irish Annals -
        Mari neyn Brian has compiled an index of the feminine names in
        the Annals, and it's at
        http://www.s-gabriel.org/names/mari/AnnalsIndex/Feminine/

        <Annabla> is recorded in 1419 and 1538; both of these woman were
        actually Anglo-Normans, not Gaels, living in Ireland, and <Annabla>
        is a Gaelic form of <Annabelle>.

        <Caitriona> was a fairly popular name in later medieval Ireland -
        the Annals index shows 15 examples from 1360 to 1607, so that's a
        wide range to pick from. There are various spelling variants
        listed.

        > what period. My husband is a Davidson in mundane and would like to=20
        > base his personna off the Davidson Clan (Scottish) but wants to make=20
        > sure it is proper. We have been told he can but not to use the Clan=20
        > Badge.

        He can certainly design armory that contains elements from, or the
        same color scheme as, this modern armory.

        > been given a couple of great sites for him but where are good sites for=20
        > costumes time periods and names...?? Thanks so much I already know you=20
        > all help as much as you can.

        One he's found a time period and a culture, for names I can do no
        better than recommend the Medieval Names Archive. It's got lots
        of lists of names for browsing through:

        http://www.s-gabriel.org/names

        -Aryanhwy

        --
        vita sine literis mors est
        http://www.ellipsis.cx/~liana/
        Message 3 of 6 , May 12, 2006
          Trina wrote:
          > I know that I am looking at a personna that is Irish with the name
          > perhaps being Caitriona, Caiterina (mundane name is Trina) or
          > something I Have liked in the past Annabla.

          The best place to start for names would be the Irish and Manx section
          of the Medieval Names Archive
          <http://www.s-gabriel.org/names/irish.shtml>. Read the "Quick and Easy
          Gaelic Names" article, and then check the Index of Names in Irish
          Annals. (Caitrióna and Annábla are both there, but documented only for
          the 14th century or after. In addition, Annábla is not a Gaelic name,
          but that of an Anglo-Norman. So, depending on the persona details you
          choose, another name might--or might not--work better for you.)

          > however most of the sites for the clothing is sketches or very poor
          > pictures that is too hard to tell if the style of dress I like is in
          > what period.

          There is, unfortunately, a paucity of information on Irish clothing for
          most of the SCA period. Just about the best overview provided online
          (that I know of) is given on the Reconstructing History site
          <http://www.reconstructinghistory.com/irish/index.html>, and you will
          note that for some centuries very little is listed. (Visit everything
          in the "Irish" pull-down menu; there are photos of reconstructions of
          most of the garments. And if you just want a good basic outfit to go
          to your first few events, click "Your First Garb" in the "Beginners"
          menu.) The only book currently in print that provides any kind of
          timeline of Irish clothing, as far as I'm aware, is _Dress in Ireland:
          A History_, by Mairéad Dunlevy. You should be able to get it from your
          library, or, if you live in the States, certainly through Interlibrary
          Loan.

          > My husband is a Davidson in mundane and would like to base his
          > personna off the Davidson Clan (Scottish) but wants to make sure it is
          > proper. We have been told he can but not to use the Clan Badge.

          He can certainly produce a persona inspired by his heritage. Whether
          the name "Davidson" would be period is something he'll need to
          research. It's back to the Medieval Names Archive, but this time in
          the Scottish section <http://www.s-gabriel.org/names/scottish.shtml>.
          I suggest you begin with "Scottish Names 101", and then move on to the
          relevant articles.

          He will probably not be able to use the "Clan Badge", but he might be
          able to incorporate elements from it into his own personal device.
          (If, for instance, the "badge" he's considering features the head of a
          white hunting-dog on a red background, with three yellow crescents
          above, he might use the colors red, white, and yellow, dogs or
          dog-parts, and/or crescents in his device.) He might also choose to
          look at pictures of medieval devices from Scotland, observe patterns in
          the way they're put together, and use those patterns to construct an
          original but really "Scottish-looking" device. If your local branch
          has a herald, (s)he should be able to help him research and plan. In
          the meantime, visit <http://sca.org/heraldry/laurel/education.html> for
          information on SCA and historic heraldry.

          Welcome to the Society, and good luck finding what you need.

          Coblaith Mhuimhneach
          Barony of Bryn Gwlad
          Kingdom of Ansteorra
          <mailto:Coblaith@...>