Re: [SCA Newcomers] Pennsic on a Pence or Two

    Message 1 of 1 , May 11, 2006
      In a message dated 5/11/2006 3:28:13 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
      scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com writes:

      <<Would someone be able to pick up a tent, some garb, gear, and just find a
      place to set up is they just "show up.">>

      There are areas set aside for "singles camping", which doesn't mean you
      can't have a significant other with you, but that you are not registered with a
      group. These areas are blocked out on the site map and the staff at the gate
      should have info or be able to get info for you on which ones still have room
      available when you arrive. You should still keep your own gear within the
      allotment of space you would have received had you preregistered, which I
      believe is still 250 square feet per person; it's not kosher for one person to go
      into singles camping with a huge set-up just so they can have more room.
      And yes, the land staff does check up on these things; my husband has been a
      member of the land staff for the last several years.

      << How much cash can one survive on if
      you bring a lot of your own food. (collage fair, pbj's and ramen are easy

      If you bring enough of your own food that you only need to pick up a few
      things, say milk, bread, and some snacks at the camp store, you could easily do
      a week at Pennsic for under $100 assuming you can stay away from the merchants
      :-) That's easier said than done; Pennsic merchants are notorious for
      having something that pretty much anyone is going to want or need.

      <<Basical, can Pennsic be done last min, on a pence or two.... or should one
      trully plan it out to every detail to "survive">>

      I think the key to this really is, if you are an experienced camper. That
      is, have you camped in a small tent for a week, having to cook for yourself or
      eat cold food, fetch your water from a spigot that might be a good ways away,
      have a bit of a walk to the potty and a longer one to the showers? If you
      know how to deal with that situation in heat, humidity, cold and damp you'll
      be fine. If you've never camped, or only been in a solid structure, then a
      good bit more planning is in order and I would strongly suggest getting hooked
      up with a group of more experienced campers.

      Lancaster, PA