Re: [SCA Newcomers] Please be gentle!

  • Sara L Uckelman
    Message 1 of 26 , May 10, 2006
      Quoth "johnr_econ":
      > What about variations or uses of "eagle" "wolf" or "bear"? These are
      > my presonal, line, and clan totems, respectfully, and I woud like to
      > use somehow.

      In English - Reaney & Wilson s.n. has <Egle> 1230 and <le Egle> 1297,
      both nicknames from the bird. S.n. Bear there is <Vrs'> 1130, <le
      the Old French word for for 'bear'. S.n. Wolf there is <le Wolf>
      1279, and the entry also says "<Wolf> as a surname is very seldom
      without the article <le> in the 13th and 14th centuries." So,
      any of these would be appropriate English surnames for the 12th-
      14th C.

      > Also where could I find that dictionary mentioned
      > herein?

      Most libraries will have a copy, probably in the reference
      department. It's also available pretty cheaply through
      Amazon.com

      > Or possibly scandinavian or germanic versions?

      For Old Norse bynames, you can take a look at
      "Viking Bynames found in the Landn��mab��k"
      http://www.ellipsis.cx/~liana/names/norse/vikbynames.html

      The German word for 'eagle' is <adler>. Academy of S.
      Gabriel Report #2668 (www.s-gabriel.org/2668) says:

      "In late medieval and renaissance Germany, it was common for the urban
      wealthy to decorate their houses with distinctive symbols, often
      animals, to identify them. These marks served much the same purpose
      as modern street addresses, and the houses were often refered to
      simply by the symbol, e.g. "the ship", "the lion", "the rose". The
      German surname <Adler> originally derived from such a house name; a
      person living at or near a house known "The Eagle" might have been
      described as <ze dem adelar> or <zem Adelar> "at the Eagle" or <der
      adeler> "the Eagle-man". We find this surname in several similar
      forms throughout the 14th century [6, 11]. <Adler> appears on its own
      as a surname in 1392, 1395, and 1414 [7]."

      The same holds for <ba"r> 'bear' (where a" represents an a-umlaut).
      Bahlow's _Dictionary of German Names_ s.n. Ba"r notes <Drewes to
      dem beren> 1435.

      There are also examples of <Wolf> or <Wolff> being used as a
      surname in later-period Germany (see "German Names from Kulmbach,
      1495" http://www.ellipsis.cx/~liana/names/german/kulmbach1495.html
      and "German Names from N��rnberg, 1497"
      http://www.ellipsis.cx/~liana/names/german/nurnberg1497.html), but
      in these cases, it's hard to tell whether this is from the word for
      'wolf', or a nickname from a name like <Wolfgang>.

      Hope this helps!

      -Aryanhwy

      --
      vita sine literis mors est