Re: [SCA Newcomers] What's in a Name?

  • Sara L Uckelman
    Message 1 of 5 , May 10 11:41 AM
      Quoth "Frank Petersen":
      > Turns out, while that spelling does not appear to be common, the=20
      > following are: Adhemar, Adh=E9mar, D'Adh=E9mar, Add=E9mar, Addemar and a=20
      > few more.
      >
      > It might seem to be of French origin, but I have not been able to=20
      > confirm,

      The given name <Ademar> is found in French-speaking areas in the 11th
      and 12th centuries (according to L. Perouas, B. Barrie\re, J. Boutier,
      J.-C. Peyronnet, & J. Tricard, _Le/onard, Marie, Jean et les Autres:
      Les Pre/noms en Limousin depuis un Mille/naire (Paris: E/ditions du
      Centre National de la Recherche Scientifique, 1984), p.37, <Ademar>
      was reasonably common in Limoges in the 11th and 12th centuries.)
      It appears to have been more common in the Occitan-speaking parts of
      France, the southern parts. Academy of S. Gabriel Report #2575
      (www.s-gabriel.org/2575) says:

      "We found many forms of the name <Adhemar> between the ninth and twelfth
      centuries. The Latinized form <Ademarus> was most common; we also found
      the forms <Adhemarus>, <Atemarus>, <Ademarus>, <Adamar>, <Ademar>, and
      <Atmarus>. [1] We also found several forms of this name between the
      twelfth century and about 1300 in the Occitan language, which was spoken in
      southern France. [1, 2, 3, 11] Based on these examples, we can recommend
      <Ademar> as an appropriate name for a French man living sometime between
      the ninth and fourteenth centuries. The form <Adhemar> is rarer, but we
      believe it is still appropriate for your period."

      You can see there's quite a wide variety in spellings.

      > and some places show it as a surname (last name?).

      That's not too surprising - a lot of cultures used patronymic
      bynames (ones based on the bearer's father's given name), and
      in alot of cultures, that amounted to just using the father's
      given name as a surname, unmodified.

      > So, are there places we can go in the SCA to help confirm a name's=20
      > usability?

      A good place for information on names is the Medieval Names Archive,
      at www.s-gabriel.org/names.

      -Aryanhwy

      --
      vita sine literis mors est
      http://www.ellipsis.cx/~liana/
      Message 2 of 5 , May 10 1:11 PM
        Wow Aryanhwy, and thank you, this is fantastic!

        If I am reading the following I just found on pronunciation Ademar
        or Adhémar (both: ãd'umär) that appears to be how I have been saying
        Adamare.

        Now off to pinpoint my exact period and surname!

        Again, thank you!

        --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, Sara L Uckelman <liana@...>
        wrote:

        > Quoth "Frank Petersen":
        > > Turns out, while that spelling does not appear to be common,
        the=20
        > > following are: Adhemar, Adh=E9mar, D'Adh=E9mar, Add=E9mar,
        Addemar and a=20
        > > few more.
        > >
        > > It might seem to be of French origin, but I have not been able
        to=20
        > > confirm,
        >
        > The given name <Ademar> is found in French-speaking areas in the
        11th
        > and 12th centuries (according to L. Perouas, B. Barrie\re, J.
        Boutier,
        > J.-C. Peyronnet, & J. Tricard, _Le/onard, Marie, Jean et les
        Autres:
        > Les Pre/noms en Limousin depuis un Mille/naire (Paris: E/ditions
        du
        > Centre National de la Recherche Scientifique, 1984), p.37,
        <Ademar>
        > was reasonably common in Limoges in the 11th and 12th centuries.)
        > It appears to have been more common in the Occitan-speaking parts
        of
        > France, the southern parts. Academy of S. Gabriel Report #2575
        > (www.s-gabriel.org/2575) says:
        >
        > "We found many forms of the name <Adhemar> between the ninth and
        twelfth
        > centuries. The Latinized form <Ademarus> was most common; we also
        found
        > the forms <Adhemarus>, <Atemarus>, <Ademarus>, <Adamar>, <Ademar>,
        and
        > <Atmarus>. [1] We also found several forms of this name between
        the
        > twelfth century and about 1300 in the Occitan language, which was
        spoken in
        > southern France. [1, 2, 3, 11] Based on these examples, we can
        recommend
        > <Ademar> as an appropriate name for a French man living sometime
        between
        > the ninth and fourteenth centuries. The form <Adhemar> is rarer,
        but we
        > believe it is still appropriate for your period."
        >
        > You can see there's quite a wide variety in spellings.
        >
        > > and some places show it as a surname (last name?).
        >
        > That's not too surprising - a lot of cultures used patronymic
        > bynames (ones based on the bearer's father's given name), and
        > in alot of cultures, that amounted to just using the father's
        > given name as a surname, unmodified.
        >
        > > So, are there places we can go in the SCA to help confirm a
        name's=20
        > > usability?
        >
        > A good place for information on names is the Medieval Names
        Archive,
        > at www.s-gabriel.org/names.
        >
        > -Aryanhwy
        >

        > --
        > vita sine literis mors est
        > http://www.ellipsis.cx/~liana/

      • Sara L Uckelman
        Message 3 of 5 , May 10 2:10 PM
          Quoth "Frank Petersen":
          > If I am reading the following I just found on pronunciation Ademar=20
          > or Adh=E9mar (both: =E3d'um=E4r) that appears to be how I have been saying=
          > Adamare.

          Excellent! And even the spelling <Adamar> is also identical to what
          you had been using.

          Glad I could help!

          -Aryanhwy

          --