What's in a Name?

  • Frank Petersen
    Message 1 of 5 , May 10, 2006
      I'm not sure if this will be a question, or an open ended ramble of
      thought but bear with me, this will come together in the end.

      I have been an avid online MMORG player since perhaps 1996, and as I
      went from game to game, I used a character name that folowed me
      everywhere I went. The name was Adamare. Across EQ to DAoC to WoW,
      and many others it went.

      So, I started to look to see if something identicle, or similar
      existed that I could use in the SCA. I like the name so much, I am
      willing ot let it dictate my persona oirgin and period.

      Turns out, while that spelling does not appear to be common, the
      following are: Adhemar, Adhémar, D'Adhémar, Addémar, Addemar and a
      few more.

      It might seem to be of French origin, but I have not been able to
      confirm, and some places show it as a surname (last name?).

      I did find it used in one form during the period of the Crusades,
      early near the first, and it lokks like it may have been in use
      during the reign of King Louis XIV (Musketeer movie period)

      So, are there places we can go in the SCA to help confirm a name's
      usability? Does anyone see this name and immediatly go "oh no, you
      can't use it because...."

      Thank you!
    • Keith Howard
      Message 2 of 5 , May 10, 2006
        You would be better off researching the spelling of oe of the historical
        versions you listed just to register the name... then spell it however you
        want when you sign up at events and such. I have a friend who is a 10th
        century celt so needless to say his name is about 16 characters long when
        spelled historically, but in his email and everything he uses the name for
        in the SCA he spells it pheonetically as Mahon. I use the name Aengus
        because it is the name I used in all of my RPG and MMORPG games. My persona
        s 14th century Scottish lowlands but the spelling is only documentable in
        Ireland, in Scotland it is spelled Angus. I still use the A"e"ngus spelling
        on my membership card etc. When you go to register your name look at the
        form, there are 2 boxes you can choose between regarding your name, they are
        (I believe) "permission for Laurel to alter the spelling to meet a specific
        region and time period" or "register exactly as spelled" (or some such...it
        has been a while)

        Aengus mac Farlane

        On 5/10/06, Frank Petersen <soulkeeper@...> wrote:

        > I'm not sure if this will be a question, or an open ended ramble of
        > thought but bear with me, this will come together in the end.
        >
        > I have been an avid online MMORG player since perhaps 1996, and as I
        > went from game to game, I used a character name that folowed me
        > everywhere I went. The name was Adamare. Across EQ to DAoC to WoW,
        > and many others it went.
        >
        > So, I started to look to see if something identicle, or similar
        > existed that I could use in the SCA. I like the name so much, I am
        > willing ot let it dictate my persona oirgin and period.
        >
        > Turns out, while that spelling does not appear to be common, the
        > following are: Adhemar, Adhémar, D'Adhémar, Addémar, Addemar and a
        > few more.
        >
        > It might seem to be of French origin, but I have not been able to
        > confirm, and some places show it as a surname (last name?).
        >
        > I did find it used in one form during the period of the Crusades,
        > early near the first, and it lokks like it may have been in use
        > during the reign of King Louis XIV (Musketeer movie period)
        >
        > So, are there places we can go in the SCA to help confirm a name's
        > usability? Does anyone see this name and immediatly go "oh no, you
        > can't use it because...."
        >
        > Thank you!

      • Sara L Uckelman
        Message 3 of 5 , May 10, 2006
          Quoth "Frank Petersen":
          > Turns out, while that spelling does not appear to be common, the=20
          > following are: Adhemar, Adh=E9mar, D'Adh=E9mar, Add=E9mar, Addemar and a=20
          > few more.
          >
          > It might seem to be of French origin, but I have not been able to=20
          > confirm,

          The given name <Ademar> is found in French-speaking areas in the 11th
          and 12th centuries (according to L. Perouas, B. Barrie\re, J. Boutier,
          J.-C. Peyronnet, & J. Tricard, _Le/onard, Marie, Jean et les Autres:
          Les Pre/noms en Limousin depuis un Mille/naire (Paris: E/ditions du
          Centre National de la Recherche Scientifique, 1984), p.37, <Ademar>
          was reasonably common in Limoges in the 11th and 12th centuries.)
          It appears to have been more common in the Occitan-speaking parts of
          France, the southern parts. Academy of S. Gabriel Report #2575
          (www.s-gabriel.org/2575) says:

          "We found many forms of the name <Adhemar> between the ninth and twelfth
          centuries. The Latinized form <Ademarus> was most common; we also found
          the forms <Adhemarus>, <Atemarus>, <Ademarus>, <Adamar>, <Ademar>, and
          <Atmarus>. [1] We also found several forms of this name between the
          twelfth century and about 1300 in the Occitan language, which was spoken in
          southern France. [1, 2, 3, 11] Based on these examples, we can recommend
          <Ademar> as an appropriate name for a French man living sometime between
          the ninth and fourteenth centuries. The form <Adhemar> is rarer, but we
          believe it is still appropriate for your period."

          You can see there's quite a wide variety in spellings.

          > and some places show it as a surname (last name?).

          That's not too surprising - a lot of cultures used patronymic
          bynames (ones based on the bearer's father's given name), and
          in alot of cultures, that amounted to just using the father's
          given name as a surname, unmodified.

          > So, are there places we can go in the SCA to help confirm a name's=20
          > usability?

          A good place for information on names is the Medieval Names Archive,
          at www.s-gabriel.org/names.

          -Aryanhwy

          --
          vita sine literis mors est
          http://www.ellipsis.cx/~liana/
          Message 4 of 5 , May 10, 2006
            Wow Aryanhwy, and thank you, this is fantastic!

            If I am reading the following I just found on pronunciation Ademar
            or Adhémar (both: ãd'umär) that appears to be how I have been saying
            Adamare.

            Now off to pinpoint my exact period and surname!

            Again, thank you!

            --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, Sara L Uckelman <liana@...>
            wrote:

            > Quoth "Frank Petersen":
            > > Turns out, while that spelling does not appear to be common,
            the=20
            > > following are: Adhemar, Adh=E9mar, D'Adh=E9mar, Add=E9mar,
            Addemar and a=20
            > > few more.
            > >
            > > It might seem to be of French origin, but I have not been able
            to=20
            > > confirm,
            >
            > The given name <Ademar> is found in French-speaking areas in the
            11th
            > and 12th centuries (according to L. Perouas, B. Barrie\re, J.
            Boutier,
            > J.-C. Peyronnet, & J. Tricard, _Le/onard, Marie, Jean et les
            Autres:
            > Les Pre/noms en Limousin depuis un Mille/naire (Paris: E/ditions
            du
            > Centre National de la Recherche Scientifique, 1984), p.37,
            <Ademar>
            > was reasonably common in Limoges in the 11th and 12th centuries.)
            > It appears to have been more common in the Occitan-speaking parts
            of
            > France, the southern parts. Academy of S. Gabriel Report #2575
            > (www.s-gabriel.org/2575) says:
            >
            > "We found many forms of the name <Adhemar> between the ninth and
            twelfth
            > centuries. The Latinized form <Ademarus> was most common; we also
            found
            > the forms <Adhemarus>, <Atemarus>, <Ademarus>, <Adamar>, <Ademar>,
            and
            > <Atmarus>. [1] We also found several forms of this name between
            the
            > twelfth century and about 1300 in the Occitan language, which was
            spoken in
            > southern France. [1, 2, 3, 11] Based on these examples, we can
            recommend
            > <Ademar> as an appropriate name for a French man living sometime
            between
            > the ninth and fourteenth centuries. The form <Adhemar> is rarer,
            but we
            > believe it is still appropriate for your period."
            >
            > You can see there's quite a wide variety in spellings.
            >
            > > and some places show it as a surname (last name?).
            >
            > That's not too surprising - a lot of cultures used patronymic
            > bynames (ones based on the bearer's father's given name), and
            > in alot of cultures, that amounted to just using the father's
            > given name as a surname, unmodified.
            >
            > > So, are there places we can go in the SCA to help confirm a
            name's=20
            > > usability?
            >
            > A good place for information on names is the Medieval Names
            Archive,
            > at www.s-gabriel.org/names.
            >
            > -Aryanhwy
            >

            > --
            > vita sine literis mors est
            > http://www.ellipsis.cx/~liana/

          • Sara L Uckelman
            Message 5 of 5 , May 10, 2006
              Quoth "Frank Petersen":
              > If I am reading the following I just found on pronunciation Ademar=20
              > or Adh=E9mar (both: =E3d'um=E4r) that appears to be how I have been saying=
              > Adamare.

              Excellent! And even the spelling <Adamar> is also identical to what
              you had been using.

              Glad I could help!

              -Aryanhwy

              --