Re: [SCA Newcomers] Another garb question. Ever get tired of these?

    Message 1 of 1 , May 6 12:04 PM
      In a message dated 5/6/2006 3:26:31 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
      scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com writes:

      <<I would
      like some advice on how to make and/or buy basic garb, like a few
      shirts that seem period, a T tunic or two, and something in the form of
      leg wear. I quired about the possiblity of wearing Birkenstocks
      (however that's spelled), and was told they were just fine. It is the
      rest of it that has me concerned. I'm thinking a pair or two of
      brownish sweats for pants, but i have no idea for the rest. Any help,
      advice, or assistance would be greatly apperciated.>>

      A basic tunic is pretty simple to make if you can get or have someone get a
      few measurements for you, measure accurately, cut a straight line, and sew a
      straight seam or get someone to do it for you. If that describes you, go to
      _http://www.virtue.to/articles/tunic_worksheet.html_
      (http://www.virtue.to/articles/tunic_worksheet.html) for some pretty good instructions - her whole
      site is excellent for beginners who need basic costuming help.
      If that doesn't describe you, it's likely there will be a few merchants at
      an event such as Egil's who will sell basic tunics. You'll just need
      something until you can go shopping, and gold key (which is usually a loan, no money
      involved) would be an excellent way to handle that. More local folks can put
      you in touch with local merchants who do good work.

      The brown sweat pants would work fine; so would red or blue. Both of those
      colors appear very frequently for men's pant/hose in period illuminations.
      Birkenstocks will work, as would a basic moccasin with any fringes cut off, or
      those cheap black Chinese shoes that usually have red plastic soles.

      Lancaster, PA