Re: [SCA Newcomers] Combat Questions

  • Keith Howard
    Message 1 of 4 , May 4, 2006
      Hmmm... I guess I will just start at the beginning of you email and answer
      in order asked.

      1) Do you need armor to practice sword play? Yes and no. You can take a
      sword into your back yard and hit a pell post without any armor at all and
      by doing this you can learn basic shots, combos, and angles. For you to
      learn shield work and judgment of blow calibration you will need to be in
      armor fighting an armored opponent.

      2) You are correct. Target archers do not ever join in on any armored combat
      activity, they shoot only at targets because they use real arrows. Combat
      archers use modified arrows for safety and they are required to be fully
      armored except for their "draw" hand. This is so they can still use the bow.
      To kill a combat archer you do not need to hit him, you only need to move
      with a predetermined distance of the archer and tell him he is dead. This is
      because we don't want to accidentally hit his unarmored hand. They wear
      armor everywhere else because...well....accidents can happen.

      3) Youth combat varies, but in the middle kingdom it is broken down into 3
      age groups, each with it's own set of armor and weapon standards, and each
      with it's own calibration rules. If i recall righ, you are also in the
      middle kingdom so go to www.midrealm.org and click on the youth link. You
      can read all about it there.

      Hope this helps.

      Yours in service,
      Aengus mac Farlane

      On 5/4/06, Frank Petersen <soulkeeper@...> wrote:

      > A few questions on the concept of combat in the SCA.
      >
      > While garb searching I have come across much in the way of arms and
      > armour.
      >
      > I also did some light reading on combat from the sca page.
      >
      > In order to train for combat, must you have armour? Can you
      > practice "sword-play" without it?
      >
      > It seems there are combat archers, which look to still wear heavy
      > armour, and if I was not mistaken, target archers? I assume the
      > target do not ever join the field of battle?
      >
      > Youth combat, I may have missed it but is it simply a smaller scale of
      > normal combat? What things are open to youths?
      >
      > Humbly,
      > Frank

    • Frank Petersen
      Message 2 of 4 , May 4, 2006
        Thank you yes, this does help.

        It appears if I read it correct (and assuming you cover it properly
        to hide its real appearance) that Hockey gear is usable cover for
        Youth combt in many cases.

        What I don't see however is if it is viable for adult protection?
        Guessing by what I see, you'd still need a few extra items, but it
        would seem it covers 90% of what's needed. Am I wrong?

        Frank

        --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, "Keith Howard" <khoward001@...>
        wrote:

        > Hmmm... I guess I will just start at the beginning of you email
        and answer
        > in order asked.
        >
        > 1) Do you need armor to practice sword play? Yes and no. You can
        take a
        > sword into your back yard and hit a pell post without any armor at
        all and
        > by doing this you can learn basic shots, combos, and angles. For
        you to
        > learn shield work and judgment of blow calibration you will need
        to be in
        > armor fighting an armored opponent.
        >
        > 2) You are correct. Target archers do not ever join in on any
        armored combat
        > activity, they shoot only at targets because they use real arrows.
        Combat
        > archers use modified arrows for safety and they are required to be
        fully
        > armored except for their "draw" hand. This is so they can still
        use the bow.
        > To kill a combat archer you do not need to hit him, you only need
        to move
        > with a predetermined distance of the archer and tell him he is
        dead. This is
        > because we don't want to accidentally hit his unarmored hand. They
        wear
        > armor everywhere else because...well....accidents can happen.
        >
        > 3) Youth combat varies, but in the middle kingdom it is broken
        down into 3
        > age groups, each with it's own set of armor and weapon standards,
        and each
        > with it's own calibration rules. If i recall righ, you are also in
        the
        > middle kingdom so go to www.midrealm.org and click on the youth
        link. You
        > can read all about it there.
        >
        > Hope this helps.
        >
        > Yours in service,
        > Aengus mac Farlane
      • Keith Howard
        Message 3 of 4 , May 9, 2006
          Sorry for the delayed reply. I would recommend getting with a Marshal in
          your area but I know several people who use different pieces of hockey gear
          ranging from shoulder pads to the combination shin guard knee cup. As long
          as you cover them with pants you are good to go and it looks great as early
          period armor.