Combat Questions

  • Frank Petersen
    Message 1 of 4 , May 4, 2006
      A few questions on the concept of combat in the SCA.

      While garb searching I have come across much in the way of arms and
      armour.

      I also did some light reading on combat from the sca page.

      In order to train for combat, must you have armour? Can you
      practice "sword-play" without it?

      It seems there are combat archers, which look to still wear heavy
      armour, and if I was not mistaken, target archers? I assume the
      target do not ever join the field of battle?

      Youth combat, I may have missed it but is it simply a smaller scale of
      normal combat? What things are open to youths?

      Humbly,
      Frank
    • Keith Howard
      Message 2 of 4 , May 4, 2006
        Hmmm... I guess I will just start at the beginning of you email and answer
        in order asked.

        1) Do you need armor to practice sword play? Yes and no. You can take a
        sword into your back yard and hit a pell post without any armor at all and
        by doing this you can learn basic shots, combos, and angles. For you to
        learn shield work and judgment of blow calibration you will need to be in
        armor fighting an armored opponent.

        2) You are correct. Target archers do not ever join in on any armored combat
        activity, they shoot only at targets because they use real arrows. Combat
        archers use modified arrows for safety and they are required to be fully
        armored except for their "draw" hand. This is so they can still use the bow.
        To kill a combat archer you do not need to hit him, you only need to move
        with a predetermined distance of the archer and tell him he is dead. This is
        because we don't want to accidentally hit his unarmored hand. They wear
        armor everywhere else because...well....accidents can happen.

        3) Youth combat varies, but in the middle kingdom it is broken down into 3
        age groups, each with it's own set of armor and weapon standards, and each
        with it's own calibration rules. If i recall righ, you are also in the
        middle kingdom so go to www.midrealm.org and click on the youth link. You
        can read all about it there.

        Hope this helps.

        Yours in service,
        Aengus mac Farlane

        On 5/4/06, Frank Petersen <soulkeeper@...> wrote:

        > A few questions on the concept of combat in the SCA.
        >
        > While garb searching I have come across much in the way of arms and
        > armour.
        >
        > I also did some light reading on combat from the sca page.
        >
        > In order to train for combat, must you have armour? Can you
        > practice "sword-play" without it?
        >
        > It seems there are combat archers, which look to still wear heavy
        > armour, and if I was not mistaken, target archers? I assume the
        > target do not ever join the field of battle?
        >
        > Youth combat, I may have missed it but is it simply a smaller scale of
        > normal combat? What things are open to youths?
        >
        > Humbly,
        > Frank

      • Frank Petersen
        Message 3 of 4 , May 4, 2006
          Thank you yes, this does help.

          It appears if I read it correct (and assuming you cover it properly
          to hide its real appearance) that Hockey gear is usable cover for
          Youth combt in many cases.

          What I don't see however is if it is viable for adult protection?
          Guessing by what I see, you'd still need a few extra items, but it
          would seem it covers 90% of what's needed. Am I wrong?

          Frank

          --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, "Keith Howard" <khoward001@...>
          wrote:

          > Hmmm... I guess I will just start at the beginning of you email
          and answer
          > in order asked.
          >
          > 1) Do you need armor to practice sword play? Yes and no. You can
          take a
          > sword into your back yard and hit a pell post without any armor at
          all and
          > by doing this you can learn basic shots, combos, and angles. For
          you to
          > learn shield work and judgment of blow calibration you will need
          to be in
          > armor fighting an armored opponent.
          >
          > 2) You are correct. Target archers do not ever join in on any
          armored combat
          > activity, they shoot only at targets because they use real arrows.
          Combat
          > archers use modified arrows for safety and they are required to be
          fully
          > armored except for their "draw" hand. This is so they can still
          use the bow.
          > To kill a combat archer you do not need to hit him, you only need
          to move
          > with a predetermined distance of the archer and tell him he is
          dead. This is
          > because we don't want to accidentally hit his unarmored hand. They
          wear
          > armor everywhere else because...well....accidents can happen.
          >
          > 3) Youth combat varies, but in the middle kingdom it is broken
          down into 3
          > age groups, each with it's own set of armor and weapon standards,
          and each
          > with it's own calibration rules. If i recall righ, you are also in
          the
          > middle kingdom so go to www.midrealm.org and click on the youth
          link. You
          > can read all about it there.
          >
          > Hope this helps.
          >
          > Yours in service,
          > Aengus mac Farlane
        • Keith Howard
          Message 4 of 4 , May 9, 2006
            Sorry for the delayed reply. I would recommend getting with a Marshal in
            your area but I know several people who use different pieces of hockey gear
            ranging from shoulder pads to the combination shin guard knee cup. As long
            as you cover them with pants you are good to go and it looks great as early
            period armor.