T tunic

  • Jess
    Message 1 of 7 , May 3, 2006
      If anyone is like me, I've been shying away from a T tunic/dress. I
      just didn't want to waste time & money on something I didn't think I
      would wear again once I developed my persona and had my "real" garb.
      My Hospitaller had a very good point though. She said that even if I
      go full blown Elizabethan, a basic T tunic is what I'll wear around
      camp at night, to sleep in, to trudge to the potty at 7am, when it
      rains, etc.
      So even if it not the most authentic, or of the best material, just
      get started with something. As everyone keeps saying, make an ATTEMPT
      at authenticity. Later if it seems horribly OOP to you, you can save
      it for your "bumming around camp" clothes, or wear it to the Ren
      Faire. NO ONE is concerned about authenticity at the Ren Faires. ;-)

      Jessica
    • Roger Franz
      Message 2 of 7 , May 3, 2006
        As far as T-tunic's authenticity goes, it's reasonably close to at least
        one drawing I saw in the scans of a German tailor's book
        online(http://www.elizabethancostume.net/schnittbuch/page30.jpg). c. 1590.

        Some of us Rennies are concerned about authenticity.

        Roger

        Message 3 of 7 , May 4, 2006
          > Some of us Rennies are concerned about authenticity.

          Please forgive me, I meant no offence. I've been a Rennie for 10 yrs,
          and know plenty of people who strive for authenticity.

          What I was trying to convey is that at a festival where people dress
          up like elves, trolls, etc. - no one is going to think twice if a
          visitor wears a poly/cotton T tunic, as opposed to a linen one.

          Jessica
        • Maria
          Message 4 of 7 , May 4, 2006
            T-tunics are good for many different reasons.

            It's always good to have one around when you go to an event so you can change into it when you're helping with set up and take down. As your hospitaler said they are also good for trudging to the potty in the night, sleeping in, wearing around camp at night when you want to get that heavy garb off, when it rains, and whenever you want something comfy to wear at an event.

            My suggestion ... get a bunch of stirrup pants of different colors, make a few t-tunics, and have fun. They are very easy to make and they are VERY comfy. I am personally making a bunch of them for here in Houston. They are also nice to wear around the house.

            In Service to the Dream,
            Lady Elizabeta Maria dei Medici, SSG
            Maria Buchanan
            Official Worrier of House Starfire
            Hospitaler - Barony of the Stargate
            Hospitaler - Shire of Gate's Edge
            In the Stellar Kingdom of Ansteorra
            281-433-0347
            If anyone is like me, I've been shying away from a T tunic/dress. I
            just didn't want to waste time & money on something I didn't think I
            would wear again once I developed my persona and had my "real" garb.
            My Hospitaller had a very good point though. She said that even if I
            go full blown Elizabethan, a basic T tunic is what I'll wear around
            camp at night, to sleep in, to trudge to the potty at 7am, when it
            rains, etc.
            So even if it not the most authentic, or of the best material, just
            get started with something. As everyone keeps saying, make an ATTEMPT
            at authenticity. Later if it seems horribly OOP to you, you can save
            it for your "bumming around camp" clothes, or wear it to the Ren
            Faire. NO ONE is concerned about authenticity at the Ren Faires. ;-)

            Jessica

          • Coblaith Mhuimhneach
            Message 5 of 7 , May 4, 2006
              Jessica wrote:
              > . . .I've been shying away from a T tunic/dress.. . .My Hospitaller. .
              > .said that even if I go full blown Elizabethan, a basic T tunic is
              > what I'll wear around camp at night, to sleep in, to trudge to the
              > potty at 7am, when it rains, etc. So even if it not the most
              > authentic, or of the best material, just get started with something.

              A T-tunic is perfectly authentic, as long as you make it in the period
              manner. It also wastes virtually no fabric, is dead simple to
              construct, is a garment you can be proud to wear, and will fit into the
              wardrobe of almost any persona one way or another. I highly recommend
              them. If you don't already know how, you'll find instructions for
              making one at
              <http://www.reconstructinghistory.com/beginners/FirstGarb.html>.

              > As everyone keeps saying, make an ATTEMPT at authenticity.

              You know, it's odd. Most of the people I hear say that don't seem to
              understand that "attempt" means "try". They offer the fact that you
              need not succeed at authenticity in order to be welcome at an SCA event
              as some sort of reassurance that you need not bother to make an effort
              to do so. It's as though a schoolteacher said, "I know you don't think
              you can pass this pop quiz, Marigold, but it does affect your grade.
              At least make an attempt," and the child wrote "Mary Guld" at the top,
              checked "true" next to every question without reading it, and handed in
              the quiz, laughing, saying, "Well, you only said I had to make an
              ATTEMPT!" I must say, I don't find the attitude reflects much respect
              for the Society or its goals. (Please understand, I don't mean to
              denigrate you. It's the "everyone" who keeps parroting the phrase at
              an apparently earnest newcomer instead of helping her figure out how to
              make a SUCCESSFUL attempt that gets my ire up.)

              Coblaith Mhuimhneach
              Barony of Bryn Gwlad
              Kingdom of Ansteorra
              <mailto:Coblaith@...>