Re: [SCA Newcomers] Garb Question

    Message 1 of 20 , May 1, 2006
      In a message dated 5/1/2006 10:51:12 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
      scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com writes:

      <<Hi all...for all of you who can't get enough garb questions
      (sarcasism), here's another one from a newbie..What is the appropiate
      fabric to use when making your first outfit..I ask this because I
      heard a man at the last meeting say that after 12 years he was
      completely period..I was under the impression, from another kingdom we
      declined to join, that you were supposed to use the fabric you would
      have found at that time, or as close to it as possible(ie.
      linen)..thanks for any info>>

      The only official rule is that one must make "an attempt" at clothing from
      before 1600. It does not say what fabric or even how good of an attempt.
      Technically, something like a church pageant outfit made from a bedsheet would
      be within the rules.

      That said, I'm of the school that says the attempt should be as close as
      possible for your means and knowledge. Many people find that, if they haven't
      really decided on a persona yet, they need a few simple tunics/gowns for their
      first few events. Many times, these are made of very cheap fabric, because
      they figure if it's just temporary garb, why put a lot of money into it?
      There is certainly some merit to this, and if you feel this way, I urge you to
      at least use 100% cotton rather than a polycotton. 100% cotton will be cooler
      in hot weather; polyester doesn't breathe and makes you feel hotter. Also,
      there tend to be more open flames than most people are used to in this
      environment, and polyester in contact with flame melts and sticks to your skin,
      causing more severe burns.

      The fabrics that would have been most readily available in most places
      throughout SCA period would be linens and wools (but not knit wools - wool
      broadcloth would be more like it). These can be pricey, and if you aren't used to
      working with them, a bit scary. Linen frays easily, so it needs special
      treatment on hems and seams. Wool shrinks, and many people find it scratchy.
      There are relatively simple ways around these issues that I'd be happy to talk
      about further if people are interested. The true virtue to these fabrics is
      not the fact that they are period, but their comfort level. Linen is, hands
      down, the most comfortable fabric I've ever encountered for hot humid weather,
      even better than 100% cotton. If you run your linen through the washer and
      dryer (no drycleaning needed, despite modern ideas on the subject), it keeps
      getting softer and softer and more comfortable. Wool, on the other hand is
      one of the most versatile fabrics. It's the best thing for keeping you warm
      and dry at events; it naturally sheds water and will keep you warm even if it
      gets damp. Tropical weight wools breathe better than polycottons and can
      even be worn comfortably in the summer. Wool is also naturally fire retardant.
      Linen underclothes with a couple of layers of various weights of wool to go
      over top will see you through everything from 45 or 50 degrees and rainy to
      about 85 comfortably, and if you make an outer garment of linen that will take
      you up to about 100 degrees.

      Lancaster, PA

    • Billy Miller
      Message 2 of 20 , Jun 7, 2007
        Me:

        Male, 33, New to SCA, Some Sewing Experience (quilting), no experience
        sewing clothing

        Pattern Source: http://www.reconstructinghistory.com/index.php?s=
        <http://www.reconstructinghistory.com/index.php?s=&c=8&d=141&e=&f=&g=&a=126&
        w=2> &c=8&d=141&e=&f=&g=&a=126&w=2

        Ok, so last night I dragged out my sewing machine and the Tunic Pattern from
        Reconstructing History. My nephew is in town (13 yo) and bouncing off the
        walls about the SCA. I wanted to test the pattern to make sure I understood
        it (before making my own tunic and gambeson from this pattern) and happened
        to have a couple of yards of fabric lying around (from a different project)
        so we whipped up this little gem in a couple of hours. I turned out OK (it
        was a little tight across the chest, but no so much so as to be
        restrictive), but I realized that there are absolutely no instructions for
        finishing the neck and I've never finished a neck line before! I hemmed
        both the sleeves and the bottom (does this part actually have a name?) of
        the tunic, but the neck at this point is just a raw cut. Anyone got any
        good advice about what should be done with the neck? Weblinks are always
        appreciated!

        Thanks,

        Billy Miller

      • Sara L Uckelman
        Message 3 of 20 , Jun 7, 2007
          Quoth "Billy Miller":
          > the tunic, but the neck at this point is just a raw cut. Anyone got any
          > good advice about what should be done with the neck? Weblinks are always
          > appreciated!

          This is how I usually finish necks:

          Cut a square of fabric which is larger than the neck hole, and cut a circle
          in the square which is the same size and shape as the neck hole. Pin the
          square to the *outside* of the tunic so that the holes line up. Sew around
          the circle fairly close to the edge. Then, turn the square flap into
          the inside of the tunic; iron it in place and, if you want, top stitch,
          embroider, or sew some trim around the neckline so that the flap doesn't
          flip back to the outside of the tunic.

          This method works also with necks where you've got both a circular hole
          for the neck + a slit down the front, just make the slit in your square
          of fabric as well.

          Hope this explanation makes sense!

          -Aryanhwy

          --
          vita sine literis mors est
          http://www.ellipsis.cx/~liana/
          Message 4 of 20 , Jun 7, 2007
            --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, Sara L Uckelman <liana@...> wrote:

            > Quoth "Billy Miller":
            > > the tunic, but the neck at this point is just a raw cut. Anyone
            got any good advice about what should be done with the neck? Weblinks
            are always appreciated!

            If I may be so bold as to add some more ideas..... Mark the shoulder
            line, neck to sleeve, with a pin or something. Then try to center
            the "soon-to-be-sewn" neckline so that 1/3 of the opening is on the
            backside and the other 2/3's are on the front of the shoulder line.
            You will be much more comfortable if the neckline isn't pulling across
            your throat.

            If you don't wish to mess with a front slit in your neckline, do a
            little geometry to figure out what diameter hole you need to get the
            tunic over your head.

            1) Measure around your head. 2) Take that measurement and divide
            by "pi". Very easy to do if you have a calculator with a "pi" key, or
            use the simplified 3.14. For example, if your head measured 24 inches
            around, it would be 24 divided by 3.14 = 7.64. That means you want to
            make a hole for the neckline that is about 7 3/4" in diameter, or a
            smidgen larger.

            2) If you aren't handy with circle making, find a pot lid or plate
            that comes close to the measurement and trace it on a piece of paper,
            then lay the paper on your tunic piece and mark the circle. If your
            circle is a bit smaller than the needed diameter, keep in mind that
            you can sew just outside the marked circle to increase the size of the
            circle. (Be careful - if you add 1/4" to the diameter, the hole
            becomes 25" around instead of 24". Make very gradual increases if you
            want to control the size of the opening.) If you are handy with your
            computer, the "draw" function in Word allows you to create circles and
            you can see the diameter at the bottom of the screen.

            Hope this has been some help, but by the same manner, you may have
            already figured all of this out.

            Regards,

            Bebhinn
            College of Brymstonne
            Kingdom of Atenveldt
          • Billy
            Message 5 of 20 , Jun 7, 2007
              Yes, this helps very much! Thanks.

              One more question to all. I'm planning to construct a gambeson from
              the Reconstructing History pattern (yes, from a moving blanket). Any
              thoughts about the gores? If I understand the pattern correctly (and
              looking at the garb we did last night), the gores basically double the
              circumference of the bottom of the tunic (the four gores having a
              total length equal to the width of both the front and back of the
              tunic). My mind says this is going to be a bit much with quilted
              material. Has anyone out there built a gambeson like this? Advice
              is, as always, greatly appreciated.

              Thanks,
              Billy

            • schnauzer2@cox.net
              Message 6 of 20 , Jun 7, 2007
                I find that for a gambeson it fits better without the gores. U put my armor over the padded gambeson, so bunch is uncomfortale. If you put slits from just below your waist to the bottom in the fron, back and both sides, you have lots of freedom of movement, but no bunching.

                YIS,
                Sian verch Gwilim ap Lewelin
                Atlantia/Barony Ponte Alto
                ---- Billy <brim4799@...> wrote:

                =============
                Yes, this helps very much! Thanks.

                One more question to all. I'm planning to construct a gambeson from
                the Reconstructing History pattern (yes, from a moving blanket). Any
                thoughts about the gores? If I understand the pattern correctly (and
                looking at the garb we did last night), the gores basically double the
                circumference of the bottom of the tunic (the four gores having a
                total length equal to the width of both the front and back of the
                tunic). My mind says this is going to be a bit much with quilted
                material. Has anyone out there built a gambeson like this? Advice
                is, as always, greatly appreciated.

                Thanks,
                Billy

                --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, Sara L Uckelman <liana@...> wrote:

                > Quoth "Billy Miller":
                > > the tunic, but the neck at this point is just a raw cut. Anyone
                got any
                > > good advice about what should be done with the neck? Weblinks are
                always
                > > appreciated!
                >
                > This is how I usually finish necks:
                >
                > Cut a square of fabric which is larger than the neck hole, and cut a
                circle
                > in the square which is the same size and shape as the neck hole.
                Pin the
                > square to the *outside* of the tunic so that the holes line up. Sew
                around
                > the circle fairly close to the edge. Then, turn the square flap into
                > the inside of the tunic; iron it in place and, if you want, top stitch,
                > embroider, or sew some trim around the neckline so that the flap doesn't
                > flip back to the outside of the tunic.
                >
                > This method works also with necks where you've got both a circular hole
                > for the neck + a slit down the front, just make the slit in your square
                > of fabric as well.
                >
                > Hope this explanation makes sense!
                >
                > -Aryanhwy
                >
                > --
                > vita sine literis mors est
                > http://www.ellipsis.cx/~liana/

              • Janet
                Message 7 of 20 , Jun 7, 2007
                  We made my boyfriends gambeson like a vest. The front has two ties across his chest. The gambeson goes down to his knees and is slit in the back, almost to the waist. The sleeves tie on at the shoulder (set slightly to the front not on top of the shoulder) which is great because he can wear it long sleeves, 3/4 length sleeves, short sleeves, or without sleeves at all depending on the weather and such. I could find you some pictures if you'd like to see it.

                  ---- Billy <brim4799@gmail. com> wrote:

                  ============ =

                  Yes, this helps very much! Thanks.

                  One more question to all. I'm planning to construct a gambeson from

                  the Reconstructing History pattern (yes, from a moving blanket). Any

                  thoughts about the gores? If I understand the pattern correctly (and

                  looking at the garb we did last night), the gores basically double the

                  circumference of the bottom of the tunic (the four gores having a

                  total length equal to the width of both the front and back of the

                  tunic). My mind says this is going to be a bit much with quilted

                  material. Has anyone out there built a gambeson like this? Advice

                  is, as always, greatly appreciated.

                  Thanks,

                  Billy

                  that gives answers, not web links.
                • schnauzer2@cox.net
                  Message 8 of 20 , Jun 7, 2007
                    I just wanted to comment that my last post was done on a blackberry (very tiny buttons). After reading it on the list it looks like I am almost illiterate. I'm just very bad at fast, blackberry typing.

                    Slightly embarrassed,
                    Sian

                    =============

                    Message 9 of 20 , Jun 7, 2007
                      I'd love to see the pics! Feel free to send them direct if you need to:

                      BillyMiller3_AT_gmail_DOT_com

                      Thanks!

                      Message 10 of 20 , Jun 7, 2007
                        Sian, It's ok, I knew what you were trying to say. :)

                        Billy, And I'll get some pics taken and send them to you in the next few days. :)

[...]

                        http://mobile. yahoo.com/ mobileweb/ onesearch? refer=1ONXIC

                        Yahoo! Groups Links

                        <!-- #ygrp-mlmsg {font-size:13px;font-family:arial, helvetica, clean, sans-serif;} #ygrp-mlmsg table {font-size:inherit;font:100%;} #ygrp-mlmsg select, input, textarea {font:99% arial, helvetica, clean, sans-serif;} #ygrp-mlmsg pre, code {font:115% monospace;} #ygrp-mlmsg * {line-height:1.22em;} #ygrp-text{ font-family:Georgia; } #ygrp-text p{ margin:0 0 1em 0;} #ygrp-tpmsgs{ font-family:Arial; clear:both;} #ygrp-vitnav{ padding-top:10px;font-family:Verdana;font-size:77%;margin:0;} #ygrp-vitnav a{ padding:0 1px;} #ygrp-actbar{ clear:both;margin:25px 0;white-space:nowrap;color:#666;text-align:right;} #ygrp-actbar .left{ float:left;white-space:nowrap;} .bld{font-weight:bold;} #ygrp-grft{ font-family:Verdana;font-size:77%;padding:15px 0;} #ygrp-ft{ font-family:verdana;font-size:77%;border-top:1px solid #666; padding:5px 0; } #ygrp-mlmsg #logo{ padding-bottom:10px;} #ygrp-vital{ background-color:#e0ecee;margin-bottom:20px;padding:2px 0 8px 8px;} #ygrp-vital
                        #vithd{ font-size:77%;font-family:Verdana;font-weight:bold;color:#333;text-transform:uppercase;} #ygrp-vital ul{ padding:0;margin:2px 0;} #ygrp-vital ul li{ list-style-type:none;clear:both;border:1px solid #e0ecee; } #ygrp-vital ul li .ct{ font-weight:bold;color:#ff7900;float:right;width:2em;text-align:right;padding-right:.5em;} #ygrp-vital ul li .cat{ font-weight:bold;} #ygrp-vital a { text-decoration:none;} #ygrp-vital a:hover{ text-decoration:underline;} #ygrp-sponsor #hd{ color:#999;font-size:77%;} #ygrp-sponsor #ov{ padding:6px 13px;background-color:#e0ecee;margin-bottom:20px;} #ygrp-sponsor #ov ul{ padding:0 0 0 8px;margin:0;} #ygrp-sponsor #ov li{ list-style-type:square;padding:6px 0;font-size:77%;} #ygrp-sponsor #ov li a{ text-decoration:none;font-size:130%;} #ygrp-sponsor #nc { background-color:#eee;margin-bottom:20px;padding:0 8px;} #ygrp-sponsor .ad{ padding:8px 0;} #ygrp-sponsor .ad #hd1{
                        font-family:Arial;font-weight:bold;color:#628c2a;font-size:100%;line-height:122%;} #ygrp-sponsor .ad a{ text-decoration:none;} #ygrp-sponsor .ad a:hover{ text-decoration:underline;} #ygrp-sponsor .ad p{ margin:0;} o {font-size:0;} .MsoNormal { margin:0 0 0 0;} #ygrp-text tt{ font-size:120%;} blockquote{margin:0 0 0 4px;} .replbq {margin:4;} -->

                      • Patrick Callahan
                        Message 11 of 20 , Jun 8, 2007
                          Sorry but I just thought it was odd for 33 year old
                          male to be admitting to having quilting experience.
                          Personally I am more in to bead work, but, I still
                          hesitate to speak of it in mixed company.

                          Krezye Padreyk
                          Message 12 of 20 , Jun 8, 2007
                            In a message dated 6/8/2007 2:15:52 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
                            naspiritwalker@... writes:

                            <<Sorry but I just thought it was odd for 33 year old
                            male to be admitting to having quilting experience.
                            Personally I am more in to bead work, but, I still
                            hesitate to speak of it in mixed company.>>

                            Not in the SCA, it's not. No gender rules for crafts around here. I know
                            female blacksmiths and male beaders, etc.

                            I present for your edification the following conversation I overheard at an
                            event:

                            Knight and squire walking down a road having an animated discussion.. One
                            assumes, of course, that they are talking about fighting or armor or weapons.
                            Until they get into earshot.
                            Squire: "Now, my embroidery..."
                            Knight: "Your embroidery? I've seen your embroidery. It's a mess. The
                            back's a whole bunch of tangles!"

                            Then, of course, there is Viscount Master Master Sir Edward Zifron of Gendy
                            (yes, all three earned peerages and a royal peer as well), current seneschal
                            of the East Kingdom and frequent BOD member. People always assume his
                            Laurel is for armor. It's for bobbin lace, if I recall correctly. Either that or
                            embroidery.

                            Lancaster, PA

                            And yes, I am well awar ethat stacking up titles like that is completely
                            non-period and completely silly. Viscount Edward is otherwise known as "His
                            Etceteracy".

                          • Wolfy
                            Message 13 of 20 , Jun 8, 2007
                              > Then, of course, there is Viscount Master Master Sir Edward Zifron of Gendy
                              > (yes, all three earned peerages and a royal peer as well), current seneschal
                              > of the East Kingdom and frequent BOD member. People always assume his
                              > Laurel is for armor. It's for bobbin lace, if I recall correctly. Either that or
                              > embroidery.

                              Are you talking about Sir Edward, who is also knows as "Fast Eddy" ?

                              ~Wolfy

                              --
                              The heart has reasons which reason does not know. (Blaise Pascal)
                            • Signora Beatrice
                              Message 14 of 20 , Jun 8, 2007
                                *grins*

                                Yep. That's Fast Eddie.

                                Ask him sometime about his Academy for Wild Women.

                                --- Wolfy <littlegraywolf@...> wrote:

                                > > Then, of course, there is Viscount Master Master Sir Edward Zifron of
                                > Gendy
                                > > (yes, all three earned peerages and a royal peer as well), current
                                > seneschal
                                > > of the East Kingdom and frequent BOD member. People always assume
                                > his
                                > > Laurel is for armor. It's for bobbin lace, if I recall correctly.
                                > Either that or
                                > > embroidery.
                                >
                                > Are you talking about Sir Edward, who is also knows as "Fast Eddy" ?
                                >
                                > ~Wolfy
                                >
                                > --
                                > The heart has reasons which reason does not know. (Blaise Pascal)

                                In Service to Lioncourt Manor and An Tir,
                                Signora Beatrice Domenici della Campana

                                Message 15 of 20 , Jun 10, 2007
                                  In a message dated 6/8/2007 6:30:23 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
                                  littlegraywolf@... writes:

                                  <<Are you talking about Sir Edward, who is also knows as "Fast Eddy" ?>>

                                  Yes, I am.

                                  Lancaster, PA