Re: [SCA Newcomers] Garb Question

  • Signora Beatrice
    Message 1 of 20 , May 1, 2006
      Greetings from Beatrice

      Appropriate fabric for your first outfit? Something that looks vaguely
      medieval! Beyond that, well...

      I recommend natural fibers (linen, cotton, silk, wool). If you're going
      to use non-natural fibers, try to get ones that don't have a plasticy
      shine to them. This isn't just a "look" issue, this is also about fire
      resistance, breathability, comfort, drape, etc.

      As far as colors, you've got a very wide range of choices. In general,
      avoid neon. Pastels and gem tones are fine. Pretty much any color in
      nature (flowers, trees, grass, earth, brick, etc.) is safe.

      For patterns, try to stick to solids or _woven_ patterns (stripes, checks,
      etc.). Printed fabrics, for the most part, are not period. Single color
      brocades look okay from a distance, but many of the patterns are not
      period, so if you care at that level of authenticity, avoid them until you
      can learn more about period brocades.

      Remember, the only *REQUIREMENT* for attendance at an SCA sanctioned event
      is an ATTEMPT at period clothing. If anyone throws a fit at you, send
      them to me. Their rudeness in berating your attempt is FAR worse than any
      transgression against their period sensibilities.

      If I can help with choices, patterns, etc, please let me know. I'm a
      seamstress and have been doing this for nearly a decade. I've got all
      sorts of internet resources, for everything from patterns, fabric, and
      trim through finished garb.

      For some of us, authenticity is a goal. For others, it's a journey,
      taking one more little step at a time. For still others, it's a fleeting
      concern, and they are only concerned about the look (or even the fabled 10
      foot rule). Any of these are acceptable in our Society, and we embrace
      all of them.

      Many people move more towards authentic as they have more time in the
      Society, but this is NOT a requirement. You do not have to have leather
      turnshoes that you made yourself, linen undergarments from flax you grew
      yourself, wool tunics from a sheep you reared from a lamb, etc. etc. etc.
      For some people, this is enjoyable. For others, it's a chore. Do it only
      if you think it's fun.

      --- Selena <selenadepp@...> wrote:

      > Hi all...for all of you who can't get enough garb questions
      > (sarcasism), here's another one from a newbie..What is the appropiate
      > fabric to use when making your first outfit..I ask this because I
      > heard a man at the last meeting say that after 12 years he was
      > completely period..I was under the impression, from another kingdom we
      > declined to join, that you were supposed to use the fabric you would
      > have found at that time, or as close to it as possible(ie.
      > linen)..thanks for any info

      http://mail.yahoo.com
    • Coblaith Mhuimhneach
      Message 2 of 20 , May 1, 2006
        Selena wrote:
        > What is the appropiate fabric to use when making your first outfit. .
        > .I was under the impression. . .that you were supposed to use the
        > fabric you would have found at that time, or as close to it as
        > possible(ie. linen)

        One of the hallmarks of the SCA is that it is up to each individual to
        make her or his own decisions as to what is appropriate. The rules
        <http://sca.org/docs/govdocs.pdf> say (1) that SCA events are intended
        to evoke the atmosphere of the pre-17th century European Middle Ages
        and Renaissance and (2) "[a]nyone may attend Society events provided he
        or she wears an attempt at pre-17th century clothing". That's it.
        There are no official judgments--or even recommendations--about exactly
        what an individual should wear.

        I, personally, believe that "attempt" means "try your best". So, I do
        my best to make things that look like real pre-17th century clothes, as
        well as things that contribute as much as possible to the evocation of
        the aforementioned atmosphere. That does mean using the closest thing
        to period fabrics available to me (as well as the closest thing to
        period construction and decoration), because nothing looks like linen
        but linen and nothing looks like wool but wool. But that's my personal
        choice; you are free to make your own determination.

        Which fabrics would have been available to your persona will be
        determined by when and where she "lives". If you want to be as
        authentic as possible to a specific period, you'll have to learn more
        about that period's options. A good place to start looking is the
        Atlantian Arts and Sciences Links pages for costume and clothing
        <http://moas.atlantia.sca.org/wsnlinks/index.php?
        action=displaycat&catid=10>; just click to the relevant area(s). If
        you just want a sense of what was broadly available, so that you can
        make your best effort at a general medieval outfit, I recommend
        Reconstructing History's "Your First Garb"
        <http://www.reconstructinghistory.com/beginners/FirstGarb.html>. The
        comments and instructions there apply to most of Europe during most of
        the SCA millenium.

        If you are concerned less with what's technically allowed than with
        what's expected and accepted, you'll have to turn to your local group
        for information. Prevalent attitudes about authenticity vary widely
        from area to area.

        Welcome to the Society, and good luck!

        Coblaith Mhuimhneach
        Barony of Bryn Gwlad
        Kingdom of Ansteorra
        <mailto:Coblaith@...>
      • Susan B. Farmer
        Message 3 of 20 , May 1, 2006
          Quoting Sara L Uckelman <liana@...>:

          > Quoth "Selena":
          >> Hi all...for all of you who can't get enough garb questions
          >> (sarcasism), here's another one from a newbie..What is the appropiate
          >> fabric to use when making your first outfit..I ask this because I
          >> heard a man at the last meeting say that after 12 years he was
          >> completely period..I was under the impression, from another kingdom we
          >> declined to join, that you were supposed to use the fabric you would
          >> have found at that time, or as close to it as possible(ie.
          >> linen)..thanks for any info

          Say what? That's the first of ever heard of *that* IMHO, that's a
          *stupid* idea! Not that you shouldn't use period fabrics, but that you
          can *only* use fabric that your persona would have had access too.
          (sounds more like the Civil War Guys (tm) or a true re-enactors guild
          type thing!)

          Most folks here swear by linen, (and I have some that I haven't had the
          chance to make up yet), but it I was required to wear silk, I'd be
          running around in my "shimmy" (as we say here in the mountains)!

          Jerusha (who usually heard a "slip" described as a "shimmy" as a child)
          -----
          Susan Farmer
          sfarmer@...
          University of Tennessee
          Message 4 of 20 , May 1, 2006
            In a message dated 5/1/2006 10:51:12 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
            scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com writes:

            <<Hi all...for all of you who can't get enough garb questions
            (sarcasism), here's another one from a newbie..What is the appropiate
            fabric to use when making your first outfit..I ask this because I
            heard a man at the last meeting say that after 12 years he was
            completely period..I was under the impression, from another kingdom we
            declined to join, that you were supposed to use the fabric you would
            have found at that time, or as close to it as possible(ie.
            linen)..thanks for any info>>

            The only official rule is that one must make "an attempt" at clothing from
            before 1600. It does not say what fabric or even how good of an attempt.
            Technically, something like a church pageant outfit made from a bedsheet would
            be within the rules.

            That said, I'm of the school that says the attempt should be as close as
            possible for your means and knowledge. Many people find that, if they haven't
            really decided on a persona yet, they need a few simple tunics/gowns for their
            first few events. Many times, these are made of very cheap fabric, because
            they figure if it's just temporary garb, why put a lot of money into it?
            There is certainly some merit to this, and if you feel this way, I urge you to
            at least use 100% cotton rather than a polycotton. 100% cotton will be cooler
            in hot weather; polyester doesn't breathe and makes you feel hotter. Also,
            there tend to be more open flames than most people are used to in this
            environment, and polyester in contact with flame melts and sticks to your skin,
            causing more severe burns.

            The fabrics that would have been most readily available in most places
            throughout SCA period would be linens and wools (but not knit wools - wool
            broadcloth would be more like it). These can be pricey, and if you aren't used to
            working with them, a bit scary. Linen frays easily, so it needs special
            treatment on hems and seams. Wool shrinks, and many people find it scratchy.
            There are relatively simple ways around these issues that I'd be happy to talk
            about further if people are interested. The true virtue to these fabrics is
            not the fact that they are period, but their comfort level. Linen is, hands
            down, the most comfortable fabric I've ever encountered for hot humid weather,
            even better than 100% cotton. If you run your linen through the washer and
            dryer (no drycleaning needed, despite modern ideas on the subject), it keeps
            getting softer and softer and more comfortable. Wool, on the other hand is
            one of the most versatile fabrics. It's the best thing for keeping you warm
            and dry at events; it naturally sheds water and will keep you warm even if it
            gets damp. Tropical weight wools breathe better than polycottons and can
            even be worn comfortably in the summer. Wool is also naturally fire retardant.
            Linen underclothes with a couple of layers of various weights of wool to go
            over top will see you through everything from 45 or 50 degrees and rainy to
            about 85 comfortably, and if you make an outer garment of linen that will take
            you up to about 100 degrees.

            Lancaster, PA

          • Billy Miller
            Message 5 of 20 , Jun 7, 2007
              Me:

              Male, 33, New to SCA, Some Sewing Experience (quilting), no experience
              sewing clothing

              Pattern Source: http://www.reconstructinghistory.com/index.php?s=
              <http://www.reconstructinghistory.com/index.php?s=&c=8&d=141&e=&f=&g=&a=126&
              w=2> &c=8&d=141&e=&f=&g=&a=126&w=2

              Ok, so last night I dragged out my sewing machine and the Tunic Pattern from
              Reconstructing History. My nephew is in town (13 yo) and bouncing off the
              walls about the SCA. I wanted to test the pattern to make sure I understood
              it (before making my own tunic and gambeson from this pattern) and happened
              to have a couple of yards of fabric lying around (from a different project)
              so we whipped up this little gem in a couple of hours. I turned out OK (it
              was a little tight across the chest, but no so much so as to be
              restrictive), but I realized that there are absolutely no instructions for
              finishing the neck and I've never finished a neck line before! I hemmed
              both the sleeves and the bottom (does this part actually have a name?) of
              the tunic, but the neck at this point is just a raw cut. Anyone got any
              good advice about what should be done with the neck? Weblinks are always
              appreciated!

              Thanks,

              Billy Miller

            • Sara L Uckelman
              Message 6 of 20 , Jun 7, 2007
                Quoth "Billy Miller":
                > the tunic, but the neck at this point is just a raw cut. Anyone got any
                > good advice about what should be done with the neck? Weblinks are always
                > appreciated!

                This is how I usually finish necks:

                Cut a square of fabric which is larger than the neck hole, and cut a circle
                in the square which is the same size and shape as the neck hole. Pin the
                square to the *outside* of the tunic so that the holes line up. Sew around
                the circle fairly close to the edge. Then, turn the square flap into
                the inside of the tunic; iron it in place and, if you want, top stitch,
                embroider, or sew some trim around the neckline so that the flap doesn't
                flip back to the outside of the tunic.

                This method works also with necks where you've got both a circular hole
                for the neck + a slit down the front, just make the slit in your square
                of fabric as well.

                Hope this explanation makes sense!

                -Aryanhwy

                --
                vita sine literis mors est
                http://www.ellipsis.cx/~liana/
                Message 7 of 20 , Jun 7, 2007
                  --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, Sara L Uckelman <liana@...> wrote:

                  > Quoth "Billy Miller":
                  > > the tunic, but the neck at this point is just a raw cut. Anyone
                  got any good advice about what should be done with the neck? Weblinks
                  are always appreciated!

                  If I may be so bold as to add some more ideas..... Mark the shoulder
                  line, neck to sleeve, with a pin or something. Then try to center
                  the "soon-to-be-sewn" neckline so that 1/3 of the opening is on the
                  backside and the other 2/3's are on the front of the shoulder line.
                  You will be much more comfortable if the neckline isn't pulling across
                  your throat.

                  If you don't wish to mess with a front slit in your neckline, do a
                  little geometry to figure out what diameter hole you need to get the
                  tunic over your head.

                  1) Measure around your head. 2) Take that measurement and divide
                  by "pi". Very easy to do if you have a calculator with a "pi" key, or
                  use the simplified 3.14. For example, if your head measured 24 inches
                  around, it would be 24 divided by 3.14 = 7.64. That means you want to
                  make a hole for the neckline that is about 7 3/4" in diameter, or a
                  smidgen larger.

                  2) If you aren't handy with circle making, find a pot lid or plate
                  that comes close to the measurement and trace it on a piece of paper,
                  then lay the paper on your tunic piece and mark the circle. If your
                  circle is a bit smaller than the needed diameter, keep in mind that
                  you can sew just outside the marked circle to increase the size of the
                  circle. (Be careful - if you add 1/4" to the diameter, the hole
                  becomes 25" around instead of 24". Make very gradual increases if you
                  want to control the size of the opening.) If you are handy with your
                  computer, the "draw" function in Word allows you to create circles and
                  you can see the diameter at the bottom of the screen.

                  Hope this has been some help, but by the same manner, you may have
                  already figured all of this out.

                  Regards,

                  Bebhinn
                  College of Brymstonne
                  Kingdom of Atenveldt
                • Billy
                  Message 8 of 20 , Jun 7, 2007
                    Yes, this helps very much! Thanks.

                    One more question to all. I'm planning to construct a gambeson from
                    the Reconstructing History pattern (yes, from a moving blanket). Any
                    thoughts about the gores? If I understand the pattern correctly (and
                    looking at the garb we did last night), the gores basically double the
                    circumference of the bottom of the tunic (the four gores having a
                    total length equal to the width of both the front and back of the
                    tunic). My mind says this is going to be a bit much with quilted
                    material. Has anyone out there built a gambeson like this? Advice
                    is, as always, greatly appreciated.

                    Thanks,
                    Billy

                  • schnauzer2@cox.net
                    Message 9 of 20 , Jun 7, 2007
                      I find that for a gambeson it fits better without the gores. U put my armor over the padded gambeson, so bunch is uncomfortale. If you put slits from just below your waist to the bottom in the fron, back and both sides, you have lots of freedom of movement, but no bunching.

                      YIS,
                      Sian verch Gwilim ap Lewelin
                      Atlantia/Barony Ponte Alto
                      ---- Billy <brim4799@...> wrote:

                      =============
                      Yes, this helps very much! Thanks.

                      One more question to all. I'm planning to construct a gambeson from
                      the Reconstructing History pattern (yes, from a moving blanket). Any
                      thoughts about the gores? If I understand the pattern correctly (and
                      looking at the garb we did last night), the gores basically double the
                      circumference of the bottom of the tunic (the four gores having a
                      total length equal to the width of both the front and back of the
                      tunic). My mind says this is going to be a bit much with quilted
                      material. Has anyone out there built a gambeson like this? Advice
                      is, as always, greatly appreciated.

                      Thanks,
                      Billy

                      --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, Sara L Uckelman <liana@...> wrote:

                      > Quoth "Billy Miller":
                      > > the tunic, but the neck at this point is just a raw cut. Anyone
                      got any
                      > > good advice about what should be done with the neck? Weblinks are
                      always
                      > > appreciated!
                      >
                      > This is how I usually finish necks:
                      >
                      > Cut a square of fabric which is larger than the neck hole, and cut a
                      circle
                      > in the square which is the same size and shape as the neck hole.
                      Pin the
                      > square to the *outside* of the tunic so that the holes line up. Sew
                      around
                      > the circle fairly close to the edge. Then, turn the square flap into
                      > the inside of the tunic; iron it in place and, if you want, top stitch,
                      > embroider, or sew some trim around the neckline so that the flap doesn't
                      > flip back to the outside of the tunic.
                      >
                      > This method works also with necks where you've got both a circular hole
                      > for the neck + a slit down the front, just make the slit in your square
                      > of fabric as well.
                      >
                      > Hope this explanation makes sense!
                      >
                      > -Aryanhwy
                      >
                      > --
                      > vita sine literis mors est
                      > http://www.ellipsis.cx/~liana/

                    • Janet
                      Message 10 of 20 , Jun 7, 2007
                        We made my boyfriends gambeson like a vest. The front has two ties across his chest. The gambeson goes down to his knees and is slit in the back, almost to the waist. The sleeves tie on at the shoulder (set slightly to the front not on top of the shoulder) which is great because he can wear it long sleeves, 3/4 length sleeves, short sleeves, or without sleeves at all depending on the weather and such. I could find you some pictures if you'd like to see it.

                        ---- Billy <brim4799@gmail. com> wrote:

                        ============ =

                        Yes, this helps very much! Thanks.

                        One more question to all. I'm planning to construct a gambeson from

                        the Reconstructing History pattern (yes, from a moving blanket). Any

                        thoughts about the gores? If I understand the pattern correctly (and

                        looking at the garb we did last night), the gores basically double the

                        circumference of the bottom of the tunic (the four gores having a

                        total length equal to the width of both the front and back of the

                        tunic). My mind says this is going to be a bit much with quilted

                        material. Has anyone out there built a gambeson like this? Advice

                        is, as always, greatly appreciated.

                        Thanks,

                        Billy

                        that gives answers, not web links.
                      • schnauzer2@cox.net
                        Message 11 of 20 , Jun 7, 2007
                          I just wanted to comment that my last post was done on a blackberry (very tiny buttons). After reading it on the list it looks like I am almost illiterate. I'm just very bad at fast, blackberry typing.

                          Slightly embarrassed,
                          Sian

                          =============

                          Message 12 of 20 , Jun 7, 2007
                            I'd love to see the pics! Feel free to send them direct if you need to:

                            BillyMiller3_AT_gmail_DOT_com

                            Thanks!

                            Message 13 of 20 , Jun 7, 2007
                              Sian, It's ok, I knew what you were trying to say. :)

                              Billy, And I'll get some pics taken and send them to you in the next few days. :)

[...]

                              http://mobile. yahoo.com/ mobileweb/ onesearch? refer=1ONXIC

                              Yahoo! Groups Links

                              <!-- #ygrp-mlmsg {font-size:13px;font-family:arial, helvetica, clean, sans-serif;} #ygrp-mlmsg table {font-size:inherit;font:100%;} #ygrp-mlmsg select, input, textarea {font:99% arial, helvetica, clean, sans-serif;} #ygrp-mlmsg pre, code {font:115% monospace;} #ygrp-mlmsg * {line-height:1.22em;} #ygrp-text{ font-family:Georgia; } #ygrp-text p{ margin:0 0 1em 0;} #ygrp-tpmsgs{ font-family:Arial; clear:both;} #ygrp-vitnav{ padding-top:10px;font-family:Verdana;font-size:77%;margin:0;} #ygrp-vitnav a{ padding:0 1px;} #ygrp-actbar{ clear:both;margin:25px 0;white-space:nowrap;color:#666;text-align:right;} #ygrp-actbar .left{ float:left;white-space:nowrap;} .bld{font-weight:bold;} #ygrp-grft{ font-family:Verdana;font-size:77%;padding:15px 0;} #ygrp-ft{ font-family:verdana;font-size:77%;border-top:1px solid #666; padding:5px 0; } #ygrp-mlmsg #logo{ padding-bottom:10px;} #ygrp-vital{ background-color:#e0ecee;margin-bottom:20px;padding:2px 0 8px 8px;} #ygrp-vital
                              #vithd{ font-size:77%;font-family:Verdana;font-weight:bold;color:#333;text-transform:uppercase;} #ygrp-vital ul{ padding:0;margin:2px 0;} #ygrp-vital ul li{ list-style-type:none;clear:both;border:1px solid #e0ecee; } #ygrp-vital ul li .ct{ font-weight:bold;color:#ff7900;float:right;width:2em;text-align:right;padding-right:.5em;} #ygrp-vital ul li .cat{ font-weight:bold;} #ygrp-vital a { text-decoration:none;} #ygrp-vital a:hover{ text-decoration:underline;} #ygrp-sponsor #hd{ color:#999;font-size:77%;} #ygrp-sponsor #ov{ padding:6px 13px;background-color:#e0ecee;margin-bottom:20px;} #ygrp-sponsor #ov ul{ padding:0 0 0 8px;margin:0;} #ygrp-sponsor #ov li{ list-style-type:square;padding:6px 0;font-size:77%;} #ygrp-sponsor #ov li a{ text-decoration:none;font-size:130%;} #ygrp-sponsor #nc { background-color:#eee;margin-bottom:20px;padding:0 8px;} #ygrp-sponsor .ad{ padding:8px 0;} #ygrp-sponsor .ad #hd1{
                              font-family:Arial;font-weight:bold;color:#628c2a;font-size:100%;line-height:122%;} #ygrp-sponsor .ad a{ text-decoration:none;} #ygrp-sponsor .ad a:hover{ text-decoration:underline;} #ygrp-sponsor .ad p{ margin:0;} o {font-size:0;} .MsoNormal { margin:0 0 0 0;} #ygrp-text tt{ font-size:120%;} blockquote{margin:0 0 0 4px;} .replbq {margin:4;} -->

                            • Patrick Callahan
                              Message 14 of 20 , Jun 8, 2007
                                Sorry but I just thought it was odd for 33 year old
                                male to be admitting to having quilting experience.
                                Personally I am more in to bead work, but, I still
                                hesitate to speak of it in mixed company.

                                Krezye Padreyk
                                Message 15 of 20 , Jun 8, 2007
                                  In a message dated 6/8/2007 2:15:52 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
                                  naspiritwalker@... writes:

                                  <<Sorry but I just thought it was odd for 33 year old
                                  male to be admitting to having quilting experience.
                                  Personally I am more in to bead work, but, I still
                                  hesitate to speak of it in mixed company.>>

                                  Not in the SCA, it's not. No gender rules for crafts around here. I know
                                  female blacksmiths and male beaders, etc.

                                  I present for your edification the following conversation I overheard at an
                                  event:

                                  Knight and squire walking down a road having an animated discussion.. One
                                  assumes, of course, that they are talking about fighting or armor or weapons.
                                  Until they get into earshot.
                                  Squire: "Now, my embroidery..."
                                  Knight: "Your embroidery? I've seen your embroidery. It's a mess. The
                                  back's a whole bunch of tangles!"

                                  Then, of course, there is Viscount Master Master Sir Edward Zifron of Gendy
                                  (yes, all three earned peerages and a royal peer as well), current seneschal
                                  of the East Kingdom and frequent BOD member. People always assume his
                                  Laurel is for armor. It's for bobbin lace, if I recall correctly. Either that or
                                  embroidery.

                                  Lancaster, PA

                                  And yes, I am well awar ethat stacking up titles like that is completely
                                  non-period and completely silly. Viscount Edward is otherwise known as "His
                                  Etceteracy".

                                • Wolfy
                                  Message 16 of 20 , Jun 8, 2007
                                    > Then, of course, there is Viscount Master Master Sir Edward Zifron of Gendy
                                    > (yes, all three earned peerages and a royal peer as well), current seneschal
                                    > of the East Kingdom and frequent BOD member. People always assume his
                                    > Laurel is for armor. It's for bobbin lace, if I recall correctly. Either that or
                                    > embroidery.

                                    Are you talking about Sir Edward, who is also knows as "Fast Eddy" ?

                                    ~Wolfy

                                    --
                                    The heart has reasons which reason does not know. (Blaise Pascal)
                                  • Signora Beatrice
                                    Message 17 of 20 , Jun 8, 2007
                                      *grins*

                                      Yep. That's Fast Eddie.

                                      Ask him sometime about his Academy for Wild Women.

                                      --- Wolfy <littlegraywolf@...> wrote:

                                      > > Then, of course, there is Viscount Master Master Sir Edward Zifron of
                                      > Gendy
                                      > > (yes, all three earned peerages and a royal peer as well), current
                                      > seneschal
                                      > > of the East Kingdom and frequent BOD member. People always assume
                                      > his
                                      > > Laurel is for armor. It's for bobbin lace, if I recall correctly.
                                      > Either that or
                                      > > embroidery.
                                      >
                                      > Are you talking about Sir Edward, who is also knows as "Fast Eddy" ?
                                      >
                                      > ~Wolfy
                                      >
                                      > --
                                      > The heart has reasons which reason does not know. (Blaise Pascal)

                                      In Service to Lioncourt Manor and An Tir,
                                      Signora Beatrice Domenici della Campana

                                      Message 18 of 20 , Jun 10, 2007
                                        In a message dated 6/8/2007 6:30:23 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
                                        littlegraywolf@... writes:

                                        <<Are you talking about Sir Edward, who is also knows as "Fast Eddy" ?>>

                                        Yes, I am.

                                        Lancaster, PA