Re: [SCA Newcomers] Clothing and (Movies)

  • April
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 29, 2006
      Also be aware that if you are looking at buying Garb many events will have merchants who have more than reasonable prices. My husband started out with a simple t-tunic 40$ at 12th night and wore jeans until he found pants he liked at The Acorn War. Rememer the SCA is about making an "effort:" to be period. No one (except a nasty snark and if they do just ask them to loan your their MasterCard ) is going to give you grief about having only a partial outfit. The idea behind the SCA is to enjoy yourself and not go broke getting a wardrobe. That being said if you make or buy ( and if you check out the SCA site the basic T tunic is very easy to make and with some trim you can dress it up wonderfully) you can start out with pants from walmart or mervyns. Get sweat pants that do not have the elastic band around the bottom. As long as you dont have a stripe down the side they work great.

      April

    • Signora Beatrice
      Message 2 of 7 , May 1 2:06 AM
        Unto Frank, greetings from Beatrice

        > Without sounding too silly, can anyone recommend a resource for very
        > inexpensive clothing? I'd prefer to purchase stuff as I go, but I
        > also know I need something to simply show up in at an event.

        The most inexpensive clothing is that which you make yourself, from fabric
        you've gotten on sale. :) T-tunics and trousers are very easy to make,
        and I can point you to resources for patterns and directions that my cat
        could follow. :)

        > I have bits and parts of my old scotish garb, but plan to change to a
        > new period and realm.

        *smiles* A change of period is a goal, not a requirement. Your scottish
        garb is more than acceptable for attending events while you hunt out other
        clothing.

        > The movie reference is to help me understand (visualize) what time
        > periods the "holywood" equipment is suppose to have come from, for
        > example:
        >
        > 13th Warrior
        > Gladiator
        > Kingdom of Heaven
        > Three Musketeers

        Three Musketeers is post SCA-period, being 17th century (mid 1600's). I
        haven't seen the others, but I can give you a guess from the images I find
        in a quick web search.

        Kingdom of Heaven appears to be 1200 or so.
        Gladiator is Roman, and I don't know enough about Roman history to know if
        it's Imperial or Republican Rome.
        13th Warrior is set in the 10th century (900's), and what little I've seen
        of the images confirms that it is relatively accurate.

        > Simple fact is, I'd prefer not to show up in equipment that others see
        > as to holywood, or to far fetched. I know I will need to slowly
        > develope a persona.
        >
        > I personally favor the norsemen, as it is my true lineage, but I am
        > open to much.

        If Norse is what you are looking for, I have many resources on period
        Norse garb. Wool is your friend. :)

        There are any number of beginner garb sites, with images, fabric
        information, patterns, and instructions, as well as a ton of merchants who
        cater to everything from basic beginner garb to court garb worth hundreds
        if not thousands of dollars.

        If I can help you find anything specific, let me know.

        http://mail.yahoo.com