Clothing and (Movies)

  • Frank Petersen
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 29, 2006
      Without sounding too silly, can anyone recommend a resource for very
      inexpensive clothing? I'd prefer to purchase stuff as I go, but I
      also know I need something to simply show up in at an event.

      I have bits and parts of my old scotish garb, but plan to change to a
      new period and realm.

      The movie reference is to help me understand (visualize) what time
      periods the "holywood" equipment is suppose to have come from, for
      example:

      13th Warrior
      Gladiator
      Kingdom of Heaven
      Three Musketeers

      Simple fact is, I'd prefer not to show up in equipment that others see
      as to holywood, or to far fetched. I know I will need to slowly
      develope a persona.

      I personally favor the norsemen, as it is my true lineage, but I am
      open to much.

      Frank
    • Sydney Walker Freedman
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 29, 2006
        A basic t-tunic (embellished if you like, of course) seems to be what
        you're looking for. It appears in all of the movies you mentioned in some
        variation or another. (N.B.: Corrections of this statement are welcome.
        I'm blind and have assumed this based on the time periods of the films.
        :) ) There are instructions for making one on the SCA website, and two
        merchants that I can think of off the top of my head are
        http://www.castlegardencreations.com and Camelot Creations (I can't
        remember the website). Most SCA garb merchants should sell them, though.
        I can't give you any hints on making them since I don't sew. I hope this
        helps.

        Pax Christi,
        Cecilia de Cambrige

        P.S. If you would like specific information on Roman and Viking garb (you
        mentioned both, cf. Gladiator and your interest in a norse persona) let me
        know. I know of some merchants as well, but I wouldn't say they sell
        inexpensive garb. It's worth it, though. :)

        > Without sounding too silly, can anyone recommend a resource for very
        > inexpensive clothing? I'd prefer to purchase stuff as I go, but I
        > also know I need something to simply show up in at an event.
        >
        > I have bits and parts of my old scotish garb, but plan to change to a
        > new period and realm.
        >
        > The movie reference is to help me understand (visualize) what time
        > periods the "holywood" equipment is suppose to have come from,
        > for
        > example:
        >
        > 13th Warrior
        > Gladiator
        > Kingdom of Heaven
        > Three Musketeers
        >
        > Simple fact is, I'd prefer not to show up in equipment that others see
        > as to holywood, or to far fetched. I know I will need to slowly
        > develope a persona.
        >
        > I personally favor the norsemen, as it is my true lineage, but I am
        > open to much.
        >
        > Frank

        > Medieval and renaissance costume
        > Medieval time dinner and tournament
        > YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

        Pax Christi,
        Sydney
      • April
        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 29, 2006
          Also be aware that if you are looking at buying Garb many events will have merchants who have more than reasonable prices. My husband started out with a simple t-tunic 40$ at 12th night and wore jeans until he found pants he liked at The Acorn War. Rememer the SCA is about making an "effort:" to be period. No one (except a nasty snark and if they do just ask them to loan your their MasterCard ) is going to give you grief about having only a partial outfit. The idea behind the SCA is to enjoy yourself and not go broke getting a wardrobe. That being said if you make or buy ( and if you check out the SCA site the basic T tunic is very easy to make and with some trim you can dress it up wonderfully) you can start out with pants from walmart or mervyns. Get sweat pants that do not have the elastic band around the bottom. As long as you dont have a stripe down the side they work great.

          April

        • Michael Patino
          Message 4 of 7 , Apr 29, 2006
            For some inexpensive garb from a good seamstress, I would suggest:

            http://celticrosedesigns.com/

            Tell her Mike/Tal sent you.

            Mike

          • j davis
            Message 5 of 7 , Apr 29, 2006
              first off, where are you located? this would help if
              anyone might know of a local merchant. also try your
              local gold key. helping with things like that are why
              we are in exsistance. john of antioche

              --- Frank Petersen <soulkeeper@...> wrote:

              > Without sounding too silly, can anyone recommend a
              > resource for very
              > inexpensive clothing? I'd prefer to purchase stuff
              > as I go, but I
              > also know I need something to simply show up in at
              > an event.
              >
              > I have bits and parts of my old scotish garb, but
              > plan to change to a
              > new period and realm.
              >
              > The movie reference is to help me understand
              > (visualize) what time
              > periods the "holywood" equipment is suppose to have
              > come from, for
              > example:
              >
              > 13th Warrior
              > Gladiator
              > Kingdom of Heaven
              > Three Musketeers
              >
              > Simple fact is, I'd prefer not to show up in
              > equipment that others see
              > as to holywood, or to far fetched. I know I will
              > need to slowly
              > develope a persona.
              >
              > I personally favor the norsemen, as it is my true
              > lineage, but I am
              > open to much.
              >
              > Frank

              http://mail.yahoo.com
            • Frank Petersen
              Message 6 of 7 , Apr 29, 2006
                I am technically in Middle Kingdom, Oaken territory (Celina, OH),
                but reside in unclaimed territory between many groups.

                I have no official affiliation with any group yet to call apon as I
                still struggle to find one active, and with a frequent gathering, so
                that missing one meeting does not mean I go 60 days before gathering
                again.

                What I am hoping to do at the moment is get enough garb for myself
                and my son to attend a few events in the nearby area's as I search.

                --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, j davis <apopka12@...> wrote:

                > first off, where are you located? this would help if
                > anyone might know of a local merchant. also try your
                > local gold key. helping with things like that are why
                > we are in exsistance. john of antioche
                >
                > --- Frank Petersen <soulkeeper@...> wrote:
                >
                > > Without sounding too silly, can anyone recommend a
                > > resource for very
                > > inexpensive clothing? I'd prefer to purchase stuff
                > > as I go, but I
                > > also know I need something to simply show up in at
                > > an event.
                > >
                > > I have bits and parts of my old scotish garb, but
                > > plan to change to a
                > > new period and realm.
                > >
                > > The movie reference is to help me understand
                > > (visualize) what time
                > > periods the "holywood" equipment is suppose to have
                > > come from, for
                > > example:
                > >
                > > 13th Warrior
                > > Gladiator
                > > Kingdom of Heaven
                > > Three Musketeers
                > >
                > > Simple fact is, I'd prefer not to show up in
                > > equipment that others see
                > > as to holywood, or to far fetched. I know I will
                > > need to slowly
                > > develope a persona.
                > >
                > > I personally favor the norsemen, as it is my true
                > > lineage, but I am
                > > open to much.
                > >
                > > Frank

                > http://mail.yahoo.com

              • Signora Beatrice
                Message 7 of 7 , May 1, 2006
                  Unto Frank, greetings from Beatrice

                  > Without sounding too silly, can anyone recommend a resource for very
                  > inexpensive clothing? I'd prefer to purchase stuff as I go, but I
                  > also know I need something to simply show up in at an event.

                  The most inexpensive clothing is that which you make yourself, from fabric
                  you've gotten on sale. :) T-tunics and trousers are very easy to make,
                  and I can point you to resources for patterns and directions that my cat
                  could follow. :)

                  > I have bits and parts of my old scotish garb, but plan to change to a
                  > new period and realm.

                  *smiles* A change of period is a goal, not a requirement. Your scottish
                  garb is more than acceptable for attending events while you hunt out other
                  clothing.

                  > The movie reference is to help me understand (visualize) what time
                  > periods the "holywood" equipment is suppose to have come from, for
                  > example:
                  >
                  > 13th Warrior
                  > Gladiator
                  > Kingdom of Heaven
                  > Three Musketeers

                  Three Musketeers is post SCA-period, being 17th century (mid 1600's). I
                  haven't seen the others, but I can give you a guess from the images I find
                  in a quick web search.

                  Kingdom of Heaven appears to be 1200 or so.
                  Gladiator is Roman, and I don't know enough about Roman history to know if
                  it's Imperial or Republican Rome.
                  13th Warrior is set in the 10th century (900's), and what little I've seen
                  of the images confirms that it is relatively accurate.

                  > Simple fact is, I'd prefer not to show up in equipment that others see
                  > as to holywood, or to far fetched. I know I will need to slowly
                  > develope a persona.
                  >
                  > I personally favor the norsemen, as it is my true lineage, but I am
                  > open to much.

                  If Norse is what you are looking for, I have many resources on period
                  Norse garb. Wool is your friend. :)

                  There are any number of beginner garb sites, with images, fabric
                  information, patterns, and instructions, as well as a ton of merchants who
                  cater to everything from basic beginner garb to court garb worth hundreds
                  if not thousands of dollars.

                  If I can help you find anything specific, let me know.

                  http://mail.yahoo.com