Re: [SCA Newcomers] Greetings and Well Met

  • Wren Hazard
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 25, 2006
      Greetings!

      I too have a bit of a transportation issue, and I hope it won't interfere. Is there an online ride board?

      Love Huxham

      Wrenderings
      Whimsical Art by Wren Hazard
      We are pen pal friendly!
      http://www.cafepress.com/wrenderings<http://www.cafepress.com/wrenderings>

      Lorelei-Betts Felines on Film
      http://www.cafepress.com/loreleibetts<http://www.cafepress.com/loreleibetts>
      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 26, 2006
        You don't say where you are from. Middle has a rideshare board, however it isn't used much. http://www.mkrideshare.com/forums/ Most local groups will know who has extra space. If you let it be known that you are willing to share gas, etc. There will usually be someone who can help you out. A lot of kingdom discussion lists are used to that purpose as well.

        Gwenhyfar

        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 26, 2006
          Yes, I am in Ohio, I am in Celina specific.

          Celina is roughly (not counting traffic issues) 60 minutes North(NW) of Dayton, and 45 minutes South (SW) of Findley.

          There was once a Lima Canton that I believe vanished, and there was a small group in Troy, which obviously may have grown in the last 6 years, but at that time, all the real activity was only in the farther towns. I don't have a distance issue so much as finding a group that is active and friendly. For the years I lived in Cleveland and Columbus, I sure wish I knew about the SCA then! :)

          Thank you,
          Frank

          "It is my experience that idiots are pretty rare. If everyone you meet is an idiot, chances are it isn't them." -William Knite

          MSN Messenger: soulkeeper(at)grungyape.com
          Message 4 of 8 , Apr 26, 2006
            That area is still very active. They are actually hosting the upcoming crown
            tourney for the Middle Kingdom (see here ... http://www.springcrown.org/ )
            it is in Xenia. Check out this map, it should be able to get you into
            contact with the group closest to you
            http://www.dragonscaleconsort.com/cartography/Oaken_Pages/northern_oaken.htm,
            but if you are where I think you are you may want to contact
            http://www.midrealm.org/gryphony/ . They are a group of very friendly
            people. I am sure you already have access to these other links but I want to
            provide them just in case..

            http://www.midrealm.org/
            http://www.midrealm.org/midrealm_calendar.phtml
            http://www.midrealm.org/midrealm_calendar.phtml

            If you have any questions feels free to contact me off list. I look forward
            to meeting you as a new friend at upcoming events.

            Yours in service,

            Aengus mac Farlane
            Barony of the Fenix (Cincinnati, Ohio)
            Stahlgeist Expeditionary Force

            Message 5 of 8 , Apr 26, 2006
              On Wednesday 26 April 2006 11:19, Frank Petersen wrote:
              > Celina is roughly (not counting traffic issues) 60 minutes North(NW) of Dayton, and 45 minutes South (SW) of Findley.
              >
              > There was once a Lima Canton that I believe vanished,

              That would be the Shire of Stonehaven. Yes, unfortunately they went
              away a few years ago.

              > and there was a small group in Troy, which obviously may have grown
              > in the last 6 years, but at that time, all the real activity was only
              > in the farther towns.  I don't have a distance issue so much as
              > finding a group that is active and friendly.  For the years I lived
              > in Cleveland and Columbus, I sure wish I knew about the SCA then!

              Check out Norborough, a canton of the Barony of Flaming Gryphon. Their
              Seneschal lives in Greenville, just a few miles south of you. I was Regional
              Seneschal during their early years and found them to be a really nice
              group of people. Their Seneschal is Lady Shamira Rae Linacre, and her
              contact info is on the page http://midrealm.org/seneschallorum/#Oaken .
              Look under "Flaming Gryphon, Barony" to find the list of cantons.

              The Incipient Canton of Catteden, located in Findlay, is a bit of a drive
              for you, but they are (1) very active and (2) very nice. I know some folks
              who play there (and again, I was Regional Seneschal when they formed). You
              may not want to drive that far for weekly meetings, but their events are
              a nice easy trip for you, and I'd encourage you to watch the calendar for
              their annual Pounce event. Their contact info is on the separate "Applicant
              and Incipient Groups" page linked from the top of the Seneschallorum (due
              to kingdom policy, we are not able to put Incipient and full-status groups
              in the same listing).

              Have fun, and let me know if I can be of further help.

              Message 6 of 8 , Apr 26, 2006
                Sorry! I am from the Barony of Twin Moons (Chandler, AZ).

                Love Huxham

                Wrenderings
                Whimsical Art by Wren Hazard
                We are pen pal friendly!
                http://www.cafepress.com/wrenderings<http://www.cafepress.com/wrenderings>

                Lorelei-Betts Felines on Film
                http://www.cafepress.com/loreleibetts<http://www.cafepress.com/loreleibetts>
                You don't say where you are from. Middle has a rideshare board, however it isn't used much. http://www.mkrideshare.com/forums/<http://www.mkrideshare.com/forums/> Most local groups will know who has extra space. If you let it be known that you are willing to share gas, etc. There will usually be someone who can help you out. A lot of kingdom discussion lists are used to that purpose as well.

                Gwenhyfar
                I too have a bit of a transportation issue, and I hope it won't interfere. Is there an online ride board?

                Love Huxham

                Wrenderings
                Whimsical Art by Wren Hazard
                We are pen pal friendly!
                http://www.cafepress.com/wrenderings<http://www.cafepress.com/wrenderings><http://www.cafepress.com/wrenderings<http://www.cafepress.com/wrenderings>>

                Lorelei-Betts Felines on Film
                http://www.cafepress.com/loreleibetts<http://www.cafepress.com/loreleibetts><http://www.cafepress.com/loreleibetts<http://www.cafepress.com/loreleibetts>>
                I was once an SCA member perhaps 8 years ago for about 2 years, but
                never felt like I fit in. I had trouble finding a persona, and
                getting to know folks because it was such a distance to a nearby group.

                Anyway, I am considering looking back into the SCA and hope to
                possibly become involved again.

                Well Met!

                SPONSORED LINKS Medieval and renaissance costume<http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Medieval+and+renaissance+costume&w1=Medieval+and+renaissance+costume&c=1&s=38&.sig=Sz-DcYvTV5ri4cpSCihvxQ<http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Medieval+and+renaissance+costume&w1=Medieval+and+renaissance+costume&c=1&s=38&.sig=Sz-DcYvTV5ri4cpSCihvxQ>>

              • Frank Petersen

                  Message 8 of 8 , Apr 27, 2006
                    On Wednesday 26 April 2006 15:08, Frank Petersen wrote:
                    > My thanks, I will look into both.  I realize it may be out of your
                    > area, but know anything about the groups in Muncie(Farmland) and
                    > Monroeville?

                    I'm afraid I don't know anyone from those areas (unless someone I do
                    know is from there but I don't know they are from there...you know how
                    that goes).

                    > Shadowed Stars (Shire) and The Shire Of Afonlyn both have locations
                    > that appear to also be very near to me, but sadly as so many sites
                    > are (I'm a web designer by trade so I notice these things!) their
                    > sites are either 404 or very outdated.  I'd estimate Afonlyn is
                    > under 45 from my home.

                    Don't conclude from a missing web site that the group itself is inactive.
                    Go to that Midrealm Seneschallorum page I recommended earlier and contact
                    the Seneschal directly. Since webmastering is (1) an optional office and
                    (2) a volunteer position, it's entirely possible for a viable group to have
                    a missing web site.

                    If you contact a Seneschal and find that a Midrealm group's website has
                    moved, but it's still wrong on the Seneschallorum page, please ask their
                    Seneschal to contact me. I'm the Database Deputy to the Middle Kingdom
                    Seneschal, and I am the person who can update their URL in the Midrealm
                    listing. But to do this I need an email or phone call from their Seneschal.

                    Have fun! I'm glad we've got a Norborough resident on the list, and I'll
                    leave it to the two of you to make further contact as you wish.

                    keys fesswise reversed sable.